Paved roads in Wales

Stephan Schaefe

Guest
I'm planning a trip to South Wales with my racing bike. I'm not sure if the small roads printed on
my maps are paved or not.

Examples:
1) LLanwrtd Wells (15 miles NW of Brecon) to Tragaron (another 20 miles NW)
2) Trecastle (12 miles W of Brecon) to LLangadog (another 12 miles W)

Or, in case someone uses the same maps: Can I expect the following roads to be paved, or at least in
a condition good enough for a racing bike?

A) Small white roads in Ordnance Survey, Map 6 "Wales/West Midlands",
1:250000 scale.
B)Small red roads in Collins Road Atlas Britain, 1:200000 scale.

Thanks,

Stephan

In message <[email protected]>, Stephan Schaefer
<[email protected]> writes
>I'm planning a trip to South Wales with my racing bike. I'm not sure if the small roads printed on
>my maps are paved or not.
>
>Examples:
>1) LLanwrtd Wells (15 miles NW of Brecon) to Tragaron (another 20 miles NW)
>2) Trecastle (12 miles W of Brecon) to LLangadog (another 12 miles W)
>

>Or, in case someone uses the same maps: Can I expect the following roads to be paved, or at least
>in a condition good enough for a racing bike?
>
>A)Small white roads in Ordnance Survey, Map 6 "Wales/West Midlands",
>1:250000 scale.

Haven't got direct experience of those roads, but AIUI, and IME the 'white roads' on the 1:250000
maps are paved roads, basically the unclassified roads. It's more likely to be the case that you'll
find roads on the ground that aren't shown on these maps.

This isn't the case on larger scale maps, on the 1:50,000 scale landranger maps then white roads on
those may indeed be rough tracks, if they are paved unclassified roads then they are marked in
yellow. (you can compare these on the OS website for example if you want - look for the 'Getta-map'
service to view sections of the maps, or somewhere like Streetmap or multimap.

>B)Small red roads in Collins Road Atlas Britain, 1:200000 scale.

Don't use those
--
Chris French, Leeds

Stephan Schaefer <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm planning a trip to South Wales with my racing bike. I'm not sure if the small roads printed on
> my maps are paved or not.
>
> Examples:
> 1) LLanwrtd Wells (15 miles NW of Brecon) to Tragaron (another 20 miles NW)

Llanwrtd Wells to Tregaron, via Abergwesyn ? It's tarmac all the way but I wouldn't fancy going up (
or down ) the Devil's staircase.

>2) Trecastle (12 miles W of Brecon)
> to LLangadog (another 12 miles W)

Yes.

--
Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

In news:[email protected], Stephan Schaefer
<[email protected]> typed:
> I'm planning a trip to South Wales with my racing bike. I'm not sure if the small roads printed on
> my maps are paved or not.
>
> Examples:
> 1) LLanwrtd Wells (15 miles NW of Brecon) to Tragaron (another 20 miles NW)
> 2) Trecastle (12 miles W of Brecon) to LLangadog (another 12 miles W)

They're both yellow on a Landranger (OS 1:50000) map, so they'll be paved

> Or, in case someone uses the same maps: Can I expect the following roads to be paved, or at least
> in a condition good enough for a racing bike?
>
> A)Small white roads in Ordnance Survey, Map 6 "Wales/West Midlands",
> 1:250000 scale.
> B)Small red roads in Collins Road Atlas Britain, 1:200000 scale.

I would be pretty certain that any map of that scale in Britain (Certainly England & Wales) would
only show paved roads

Ambrose

In news:[email protected], Ambrose Nankivell
<[email protected]> typed:

> They're both yellow on a Landranger (OS 1:50000) map, so they'll be paved

Don't bet on it. I was riding near Lake Vyrnwy in Wales with an OS 1:50,000 map I had just bought
locally. The "yellow" road over the top from Abertridwr to Penygarnedd became gradually less and
less intact breaking down into a rocky track for about 3 miles across the hill top - an interesting
ride on a road bike with 23mm wide100psi tyres!. In later editions of the map it got downgraded to a
white road.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

> Llanwrtd Wells to Tregaron, via Abergwesyn ? It's tarmac all the way but I wouldn't fancy going up
> ( or down ) the Devil's staircase.
>
> >2) Trecastle (12 miles W of Brecon)
> > to LLangadog (another 12 miles W)
>
> Yes.

Nothing wrong with the Staircase - just makes me puff and pant a lot.

John

"Eatmorepies" wrote

> > Llanwrtd Wells to Tregaron, via Abergwesyn ? It's tarmac all the way but I wouldn't fancy going
> > up ( or down ) the Devil's staircase.
> >
> > >2) Trecastle (12 miles W of Brecon)
> > > to LLangadog (another 12 miles W)
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> Nothing wrong with the Staircase - just makes me puff and pant a lot.
>
> John

I rather enjoyed the Staircase as well, although with rear panniers I thought I was going to go over
backwards!

--
mark

"mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Eatmorepies" wrote
> > > Llanwrtd Wells to Tregaron, via Abergwesyn ? It's tarmac all the way
but
> > > I wouldn't fancy going up ( or down ) the Devil's staircase.
> > > Yes.
> > Nothing wrong with the Staircase - just makes me puff and pant a lot. John
> I rather enjoyed the Staircase as well, although with rear panniers I thought I was going to go
> over backwards!
> --
> mark

it's fine as long as it's not damp, then you get all that green slime on it under the trees and when
your bike is pointing upwards at that angle, wheel spin is no fun :-(

Going up it a year or three back, at the bottom section I could hear a weird noise from the top,
getting louder and louder, sounded like two people screaming, strange I thought, then round one of
the corners comes a fully loaded tandem doing warp factor 9, the screams got hideously loud near the
bottom...followed by the sounds of a loud argument.

Eatmorepies <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > Llanwrtd Wells to Tregaron, via Abergwesyn ? It's tarmac all the way but I wouldn't fancy going
> > up ( or down ) the Devil's staircase.
> >
> > >2) Trecastle (12 miles W of Brecon)
> > > to LLangadog (another 12 miles W)
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> Nothing wrong with the Staircase - just makes me puff and pant a lot.

Me too, but if he's on a racing bike he should be warned that Look cleats aren't very good for
walking in. Triple recommended too.