Pay-as-you-go Cell Phones

stokell

Jan 20, 2005
I'm visiting from Canada in April. Can I buy a cheap pay as you go cell phone that I can use to call home?

The short answer is yes.

Just a thought if you have a dual band GSM 900 / 1800 or triband GSM 900 / 1800 / 1900 that is unlocked you should be able to get prepaid sim card and slot straight into your phone. It's a good option if you need a local contact number to receive calls and make mainly local calls. If you travel alot Triband sim phones are good for just about all countries except japan and korea.

If you are mostly calling home (international) a prepaid calling card would probably be cheaper.

Rockslayer said:
The short answer is yes.

Just a thought if you have a dual band GSM 900 / 1800 or triband GSM 900 / 1800 / 1900 that is unlocked you should be able to get prepaid sim card and slot straight into your phone. It's a good option if you need a local contact number to receive calls and make mainly local calls. If you travel alot Triband sim phones are good for just about all countries except japan and korea.

If you are mostly calling home (international) a prepaid calling card would probably be cheaper.
C'est What?

I'm not really a cell phone junky. I just want a cheap pay-as-you-go phone to call home to tell the family where I'm stealth camping. You can buy them here with a whack'o minutes for $CAN100. Currently I think that's about 60. Is that possible?

The price for a cheap prepaid is around 70 Euro plus or minus a few dollars depending on carrier type of phone etc.
$100CAD is probably a good price if you can get one there before you go.
Here are some sites, sorry they are in Dutch you can copy the links into Google translator or something.
As I mentioned if you have an unlocked sim phone you can just buy the sim card and slot it in with some minutes for about 20euro.

Rockslayer said:
The price for a cheap prepaid is around 70 Euro plus or minus a few dollars depending on carrier type of phone etc.
$100CAD is probably a good price if you can get one there before you go.
Here are some sites, sorry they are in Dutch you can copy the links into Google translator or something.
As I mentioned if you have an unlocked sim phone you can just buy the sim card and slot it in with some minutes for about 20euro.
Rockslayer, you are the bomb, but can you tell me what is Dutch for pay-as-you-go?

haha I had to think hard about this one it's been a couple years since I been to NL,
Prepay is the universal term used for "pay as you go" pretty much anywhere outside Canada/North America.
I think "Prepay Toestellen" is what you are after. "prepay" phone or sim (karteen).
Don't worry about language just about everyone speaks english in NL so you should be okay to ask around for what you need. You should be able pick up phone kits at the 7-11 type shops, supermarkets as well as the cellphone stores pretty much the same as Canada. damn wish i was going to NL. Try the gsmplaz.nl link they have a couple of examples.
Also try if you can get an unlocked phone or ask if it to be unlocked it might come in handy again for future travel then you will only need to get a new sim card each time.

You can get a prepaid cellphone in the Mediamarkt, ( a huge electronica store) for just 30 euro's, but it's cheaper to buy a phonecard when you want to call to canada