PB Alias or Cygolite Metro/Rover

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Joshua Senecal, Nov 26, 2005.

  1. Hi All,

    I recently picked up a used Trek 1200 and am looking to outfit it with a
    light so I cam commute to work. After looking at all the options out
    there (and in this newsgroup archive) I think I'm going to have to bite
    the bullet and spend a little more money on something better than an LED
    light--I like the size and battery life, but all the LED lights that
    I've seen just aren't that bright and I need to see the road in front of
    me.

    Right now I'm considering either the PlanetBike Alias (Handlebar mount)
    or the Cygolite Metro/Rover.

    Will someone please share their opinions on these two lights: strengths,
    weaknesses, ease of use/mounting/removal, cost/ease of getting
    replacement parts, etc? How do they compare to each other?

    Or is there anything else I should consider other than these two lights?
    The roads I ride are generally adequately lit, but it gets dark between
    the streetlights, and the roads and bike lanes are not always clear of
    debris.

    From the specs I like the look of both lights. The Alias seems like it
    will be plenty bright and easy to mount on my handlebars, but I don't
    like the battery (or the $99 replacement cost--cheaper to buy a whole
    new system at Nashbar). The Metro/Rover light seems to be fine too, but
    I'm concerned that it'll be more of a bear to mount on my
    handlebars--it's wider than the Alias, and I don't have that much room.
    Also, it looks like it'll be more of a chore to mount it and remove it
    (and mount it and remove it and....)

    Any advice?

    Thanks!

    -Josh Senecal

    If you reply by e-mail remove the spam breaker from my e-mail address.

    Tags:

  2. Kent Hoult

    Kent Hoult Guest

    I have a Cygolight NightRover I picked up from Performancebike about a month
    ago.
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=17645&subcategory_ID=4320
    It was $70, less a 20% coupon, less 10% for the performance club.

    I've been using it for ~22 mile commutes home at night. For that it seems
    good.

    It has two 6 W bulbs, one flood, and one spot. I usually just run just the
    spot beam.
    But having the other makes a good backup if a bulb burns out. It doesn't
    help if
    you forget to charge the batthey before riding (did that once).

    On a full charge, with one bulb, it easily does my 1.5 hour ride....

    Both the battery pack (half bottle size) and light unit are very light. I
    have the
    light on one of those handlebar extenders, and it doesn't vibrate
    noticeably.
    The extender lets me get my computer and light in the space of just the
    computer
    plus gets the light up above/past the shift/brake cables.

    Adjusting/removing is easy. The mount is a thumbscrew, so you don't need any
    tools.

    When my buddy with his $400 HID light rides with me, he does tend to drown
    it out,
    but its plenty bright for my riding. It's much better than the old 2W, 4AA
    light I had before.

    -Kent-

    news:[email protected]