PBP Mr.Larrington

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 14:34:28 +0100, Tim Hall
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Looking elsewhere (acf) it seems Dave Larrington has packed. But not
>only that he's in hospital with no recollection of how he got there.
>He has been (temporarily) separated from his Trice.
>
>Bugger.
>

>thread here:
>
>http://www.anothercyclingforum.com/index.php?topic=38774.930
>

>look around p 62-63.

Following self up:

Martin Malins and dave kahn of this parish have both finished.

Tim

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 14:34:28 +0100, Tim Hall
<[email protected]> said in
<[email protected]>:

>Looking elsewhere (acf) it seems Dave Larrington has packed. But not
>only that he's in hospital with no recollection of how he got there.
>He has been (temporarily) separated from his Trice.

Eep! Sounds unpleasant.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

[email protected] says...
> Looking elsewhere (acf) it seems Dave Larrington has packed. But not
> only that he's in hospital with no recollection of how he got there.
> He has been (temporarily) separated from his Trice.
>
> Bugger.
>

> thread here:
>
> http://www.anothercyclingforum.com/index.php?topic=38774.930

Bugger. Best wishes for a fast recovery of his health and his Trice.
Doesn't sound good that he doesn't know how he got there. Presumably
the ambulance will know who called them and the circumstances they
collected him in.

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 15:14:45 +0100, Tony Raven
<[email protected]> said in
<[email protected]>:

>Doesn't sound good that he doesn't know how he got there. Presumably
>the ambulance will know who called them and the circumstances they
>collected him in.

This could be concussion or the after-effects of exhaustion.
Hopefully in either case it will wear off soon.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 15:19:52 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> said in <[email protected]>:

>>Doesn't sound good that he doesn't know how he got there. Presumably
>>the ambulance will know who called them and the circumstances they
>>collected him in.

>This could be concussion or the after-effects of exhaustion.
>Hopefully in either case it will wear off soon.

Axe shirley, thinking about it, if you were unconscious passed out
at the time then not remembering how you got to the horse spittle is
probably not that big a surprise, so maybe he's OK really.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

says...

> Axe shirley, thinking about it, if you were unconscious passed out
> at the time then not remembering how you got to the horse spittle is
> probably not that big a surprise, so maybe he's OK really.

Which goes against exhaustion. If he was exhausted and fell asleep, the
ambulance crew would have been able to rouse him and check a few things
before carting him off. Which points more to unconsciousness. Its also
odd that he was not found either seated on or in close proximity to his
Trice.

No doubt all will be revealed in due course.

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

Tony Raven <[email protected]>typed

> says...
> >
> > Axe shirley, thinking about it, if you were unconscious passed out
> > at the time then not remembering how you got to the horse spittle is
> > probably not that big a surprise, so maybe he's OK really.
> >

> Which goes against exhaustion. If he was exhausted and fell asleep, the
> ambulance crew would have been able to rouse him and check a few things
> before carting him off. Which points more to unconsciousness. Its also
> odd that he was not found either seated on or in close proximity to his
> Trice.

> No doubt all will be revealed in due course.

Confusion and amnesia are also features of low blood sugar.

I have seen a rider end up disorientated (uninjured) and confused in
hospital on the LEL once. The blood sugar rises as soon as exertion
stops so a low sugar might not be detected in hospital. AFAIK no cause
for the LEL rider's problem was found. It was night and he'd been riding
a long time.

The mind does funny things on long rides. Hallucinations are common...

I wish Legs a speedy recovery and hope his Trice is returned intact to him.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

"Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tony Raven <[email protected]>typed
>

>> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
>> says...
>> >
>> > Axe shirley, thinking about it, if you were unconscious passed out
>> > at the time then not remembering how you got to the horse spittle is
>> > probably not that big a surprise, so maybe he's OK really.
>> >

>> Which goes against exhaustion. If he was exhausted and fell asleep, the
>> ambulance crew would have been able to rouse him and check a few things
>> before carting him off. Which points more to unconsciousness. Its also
>> odd that he was not found either seated on or in close proximity to his
>> Trice.

>> No doubt all will be revealed in due course.

> Confusion and amnesia are also features of low blood sugar.
>
> I have seen a rider end up disorientated (uninjured) and confused in
> hospital on the LEL once. The blood sugar rises as soon as exertion
> stops so a low sugar might not be detected in hospital. AFAIK no cause
> for the LEL rider's problem was found. It was night and he'd been riding
> a long time.
>
> The mind does funny things on long rides. Hallucinations are common...
>
> I wish Legs a speedy recovery and hope his Trice is returned intact to
> him.

A quick quote from the CTC board:

"Hi everyone,

just wanted to thank everyone who helped and let you know that things are
sorted now.

Mark Hummerstone got in touch with Dave at the hospital, and also their
insurance company, and organised for Dave's tent to be picked up.

Another friend managed to get hold of a local marshall, who confirmed that
Dave's recumbent is safe and that he is going to pop round to the hospital
to visit Dave.

Dave's totally happy that there are so many people out there looking out for
him. I also spoke to his family and they're all mightily relieved. "

Things are looking up then. Phew :)

"vernon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Tony Raven <[email protected]>typed
>>

>>> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
>>> says...

>>> Which goes against exhaustion. If he was exhausted and fell asleep, the
>>> ambulance crew would have been able to rouse him and check a few things
>>> before carting him off. Which points more to unconsciousness. Its also
>>> odd that he was not found either seated on or in close proximity to his
>>> Trice.

>>> No doubt all will be revealed in due course.

>> Confusion and amnesia are also features of low blood sugar.
>>
>> I have seen a rider end up disorientated (uninjured) and confused in
>> hospital on the LEL once. The blood sugar rises as soon as exertion
>> stops so a low sugar might not be detected in hospital. AFAIK no cause
>> for the LEL rider's problem was found. It was night and he'd been riding
>> a long time.
>>
>> The mind does funny things on long rides. Hallucinations are common...
>>
>> I wish Legs a speedy recovery and hope his Trice is returned intact to
>> him.
>>

> A quick quote from the CTC board:
>
> "Hi everyone,
>
> just wanted to thank everyone who helped and let you know that things are
> sorted now.
>
> Mark Hummerstone got in touch with Dave at the hospital, and also their
> insurance company, and organised for Dave's tent to be picked up.
>
> Another friend managed to get hold of a local marshall, who confirmed that
> Dave's recumbent is safe and that he is going to pop round to the hospital
> to visit Dave.
>
> Dave's totally happy that there are so many people out there looking out
> for him. I also spoke to his family and they're all mightily relieved. "
>
> Things are looking up then. Phew :)

"vernon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Hi everyone,
>
> just wanted to thank everyone who helped and let you know that things are
> sorted now.
>
> Mark Hummerstone got in touch with Dave at the hospital, and also their
> insurance company, and organised for Dave's tent to be picked up.
>
> Another friend managed to get hold of a local marshall, who confirmed that
> Dave's recumbent is safe and that he is going to pop round to the hospital
> to visit Dave.
>
> Dave's totally happy that there are so many people out there looking out
> for him. I also spoke to his family and they're all mightily relieved. "
>
> Things are looking up then. Phew :)

Glad he doesn't sound too seriously hurt for being in hospital, if you see
what I mean. Hopefully there's nothing broken.

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 16:38:40 +0100, "vernon" <[email protected]>
said in <[email protected]>:

>just wanted to thank everyone who helped and let you know that things are
>sorted now.

H!TFD!

I'll get me shed...

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Glad he's OK I must admit to being somewhat concerned when he
disappeared between controls.
Glad his machine is safe too!
I'm sure he'll reward us with the full tale when he gets home.

On 25 Aug, 14:58, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:

> Following self up:
>
> Martin Malins and dave kahn of this parish have both finished.

Also Simon Bennett and MSeries. Very sad to hear about Dave; but after
completing the last 200km with somebobdy taking a saw to my Achilles
tendons on each pedal stroke (or that's what it felt like) you can
understand the mindset one needs to do this ride. 1200 km does strange
and unpredicable things to a human body. It needs a health warning.

Fantastic though.

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 17:32:24 +0100, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> said in
<[email protected]>:

>Ouch. Poor Dave, that doesn't sound good. Best wishes, hope he's OK.

The Shed also send their regards and support, in their usual
fashion.

Dan Gregory wrote:
> Glad he's OK I must admit to being somewhat concerned when he
> disappeared between controls.
> Glad his machine is safe too!
> I'm sure he'll reward us with the full tale when he gets home.

Word is he was claiming to be the Mayor of Mortagne when taken to
hospital. It beats Napoleon.

That's the beauty of PBP - unlike some poxy half marathon, L2B, and all
those other "challenges" the general public gasp at, it really is hard,
and there really are heroic failures. Chapeau one and all.

In article <[email protected]>, Zog The Undeniable
[email protected] says...

> That's the beauty of PBP - unlike some poxy half marathon, L2B, and all
> those other "challenges" the general public gasp at, it really is hard,
> and there really are heroic failures.

That's almost motivated me to get fit again so I can have a crack at it
in a few years ... almost ... maybe ...

Rob Morley wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Zog The Undeniable
> [email protected] says...
>
>> That's the beauty of PBP - unlike some poxy half marathon, L2B, and all
>> those other "challenges" the general public gasp at, it really is hard,
>> and there really are heroic failures.

> That's almost motivated me to get fit again so I can have a crack at it
> in a few years ... almost ... maybe ...

see you in 2011 ...

In article <[email protected]>, Dan Gregory
[email protected] says...
> Rob Morley wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>, Zog The Undeniable
> > [email protected] says...
> >
> >> That's the beauty of PBP - unlike some poxy half marathon, L2B, and all
> >> those other "challenges" the general public gasp at, it really is hard,
> >> and there really are heroic failures.

> > That's almost motivated me to get fit again so I can have a crack at it
> > in a few years ... almost ... maybe ...

> see you in 2011 ...

LEL 2009 for a warm up?

On Aug 25, 8:58 pm, MartinM <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 25 Aug, 14:58, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Following self up:

> > Martin Malins and dave kahn of this parish have both finished.

> Also Simon Bennett and MSeries. Very sad to hear about Dave; but after
> completing the last 200km with somebobdy taking a saw to my Achilles
> tendons on each pedal stroke (or that's what it felt like) you can
> understand the mindset one needs to do this ride. 1200 km does strange
> and unpredicable things to a human body. It needs a health warning.
>
> Fantastic though.

I've finished too.

I saw Mr Larrington a few times on route and he looked tired. Shame
to fall so close to the finish. The route was not 'bent friendly.

I have to say I did get less than 3h sleep over the course of the
ride so I don't know why I didn't end up in a ditch.

Simon