PBP Mr.Larrington

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 12:58:44 -0700, Simon Proven <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Aug 25, 8:58 pm, MartinM <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 25 Aug, 14:58, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > Following self up:

>> > Martin Malins and dave kahn of this parish have both finished.

>> Also Simon Bennett and MSeries. Very sad to hear about Dave; but after
>> completing the last 200km with somebobdy taking a saw to my Achilles
>> tendons on each pedal stroke (or that's what it felt like) you can
>> understand the mindset one needs to do this ride. 1200 km does strange
>> and unpredicable things to a human body. It needs a health warning.
>>
>> Fantastic though.

>I've finished too.
>
>I saw Mr Larrington a few times on route and he looked tired. Shame
>to fall so close to the finish. The route was not 'bent friendly.
>
>I have to say I did get less than 3h sleep over the course of the
>ride so I don't know why I didn't end up in a ditch.

Hats off to the lot of you. I take it the weather was, umm, **** poor?

Reading the various accounts on acf, it seems there was a lot of
wanting to have done the PBP, rather than wanting to _do_ the PBP.

Tim

Tim Hall wrote:
> Looking elsewhere (acf) it seems Dave Larrington has packed. But not
> only that he's in hospital with no recollection of how he got there.
> He has been (temporarily) separated from his Trice.

Goodness, what's going on?! I live near Paris and speak fluent French -
can I be of any help?

EFR
Ile de France

Artemisia wrote:
> Tim Hall wrote:
>> Looking elsewhere (acf) it seems Dave Larrington has packed. But not
>> only that he's in hospital with no recollection of how he got there.
>> He has been (temporarily) separated from his Trice.

> Goodness, what's going on?! I live near Paris and speak fluent French -
> can I be of any help?

He is OK and has recovered his bike. When asked who he was it seems he
thought he was the Mayor of Mortagne, but perhaps he said "m*rd* à Mortagne"

Dan Gregory wrote:
> Artemisia wrote:
>> Tim Hall wrote:
>>> Looking elsewhere (acf) it seems Dave Larrington has packed. But not
>>> only that he's in hospital with no recollection of how he got there.
>>> He has been (temporarily) separated from his Trice.

>> Goodness, what's going on?! I live near Paris and speak fluent French
>> - can I be of any help?

> He is OK and has recovered his bike. When asked who he was it seems he
> thought he was the Mayor of Mortagne, but perhaps he said "m*rd* à
> Mortagne"

Since he claims his address is
"Larrington Towers,
The road that Larrington Towers is in
London."
(or words to that effect).

I would think that his claim to be the "Mayor of Mortagne"
would show that his cognative abilities are impaired ;-)

Martin.

Dan Gregory <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> He is OK and has recovered his bike. When asked who he was it seems he
> thought he was the Mayor of Mortagne, but perhaps he said "m*rd* à
> Mortagne"

Or maybe they misunderstood his Franglais of "C'est le night-maire de
Mortagne" ;-)

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

On Aug 26, 2:42 pm, Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Zog The Undeniable
> [email protected] says...
>
> > That's the beauty of PBP - unlike some poxy half marathon, L2B, and all
> > those other "challenges" the general public gasp at, it really is hard,
> > and there really are heroic failures.

> That's almost motivated me to get fit again so I can have a crack at it
> in a few years ... almost ... maybe ...

Go on, you know you want to. :)

--
Dave...

On Aug 25, 2:34 pm, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:
> Looking elsewhere (acf) it seems Dave Larrington has packed. But not
> only that he's in hospital with no recollection of how he got there.
> He has been (temporarily) separated from his Trice.

Point of information: he was riding his Speedmachine, not his Trice. I
actually heard the clattering sound as he fell off behind me. He had
got up quickly, was dragging his machine to the side of the road, and
shouted at me not to stop. That fall may have been due to tiredness
though he had seemed as alert as anyone else only a minute of two
before.

--
Dave...

Quoting Dan Gregory <[email protected]>:
>see you in 2011 ...

I was never going to be fit enough this year but I'll be very disappointed
if I don't have a crack at it then.
Today is First Saturday, August - a weekend.

dkahn400 wrote:

> Point of information: he was riding his Speedmachine, not his Trice. I
> actually heard the clattering sound as he fell off behind me. He had
> got up quickly, was dragging his machine to the side of the road, and
> shouted at me not to stop. That fall may have been due to tiredness
> though he had seemed as alert as anyone else only a minute of two
> before.

Yes, I've been wondering all through this thread how it's possible to
fall off a Trice...

EFR
Ile de France

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 19:52:48 +0200, Artemisia <[email protected]> wrote:

>dkahn400 wrote:
>
>> Point of information: he was riding his Speedmachine, not his Trice. I
>> actually heard the clattering sound as he fell off behind me. He had
>> got up quickly, was dragging his machine to the side of the road, and
>> shouted at me not to stop. That fall may have been due to tiredness
>> though he had seemed as alert as anyone else only a minute of two
>> before.

>Yes, I've been wondering all through this thread how it's possible to
>fall off a Trice...

And I've been wondering for quite a while when a trike became a trice;
it just looks and sounds wrong to my mind. I rode with one or two
trike riders with the CTC back in the UK some years ago, and they had
no problem with the name.

>EFR
>Ile de France

Are there actually any UK residents left over there, do you think?

--
Ace in Alsace - brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom

On 28/08/2007 19:46, Ace wrote:
> And I've been wondering for quite a while when a trike became a trice;

Trice is a brand name:
<http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/>

--
Danny Colyer <http://www.redpedals.co.uk>
"Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down.

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 20:06:17 +0100, Danny Colyer
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 28/08/2007 19:46, Ace wrote:
>> And I've been wondering for quite a while when a trike became a trice;

>Trice is a brand name:
><http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/>

OIC. Now it just remains to understand what the appeal is.

On second thoughts, please don't anyone try to explain - it'll be lost
on me, I'm sure.
--
Ace in Alsace - brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom

In article <[email protected]>, Artemisia
[email protected] says...
> dkahn400 wrote:
>
> > Point of information: he was riding his Speedmachine, not his Trice. I
> > actually heard the clattering sound as he fell off behind me. He had
> > got up quickly, was dragging his machine to the side of the road, and
> > shouted at me not to stop. That fall may have been due to tiredness
> > though he had seemed as alert as anyone else only a minute of two
> > before.

> Yes, I've been wondering all through this thread how it's possible to
> fall off a Trice...

In a ditch?

Hi,

On 28 Aug, 20:50, Ace <[email protected]> wrote:
> OIC. Now it just remains to understand what the appeal is.

Less wind resistance, so more efficient than an upright bike.

> On second thoughts, please don't anyone try to explain - it'll be lost
> on me, I'm sure.

Oops.

Cheers,

[email protected] wrote:

> Less wind resistance, so more efficient than an upright bike.

Up to a point. The wider track gives you more lateral spread for wind
resistance, and the extra wheel adds more rolling resistance and more
weight. A low recumbent faired /bike/ is probably going to be more
efficient in most cases, but it's not generally practical to fit full
fairings on bikes. A faired 'bent trike holds the LEJoG record.

However, the main attraction of a 'bent for me is a big comfy chair
instead of a small triangle of plastic or leather that has to be cut
away to let you pedal, combined with no weight at all on your arms and a
relaxed position for your head and neck if you want to look where you're
going and not catch the wind like a sail, as opposed to the road 2m in
front of you.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch wrote:

> However, the main attraction of a 'bent for me is a big comfy chair
> instead of a small triangle of plastic or leather that has to be cut
> away to let you pedal, combined with no weight at all on your arms and a
> relaxed position for your head and neck if you want to look where you're
> going and not catch the wind like a sail, as opposed to the road 2m in
> front of you.

Sounds a very comfortable position to fall asleep in ....

In article <[email protected]>, Ace
[email protected] says...
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 20:06:17 +0100, Danny Colyer
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >On 28/08/2007 19:46, Ace wrote:
> >> And I've been wondering for quite a while when a trike became a trice;

> >Trice is a brand name:
> ><http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/>

> OIC. Now it just remains to understand what the appeal is.

Stability, comfort, load-carrying capacity, WTFIT? safety/amusement
factor.

On 28/08/2007 20:50, Ace wrote:
> OIC. Now it just remains to understand what the appeal is.
>
> On second thoughts, please don't anyone try to explain - it'll be lost
> on me, I'm sure.

I won't try and explain the appeal, then. I'll just ask how you feel
about trying out different machines.

Personally, I'm keen to try out any type of cycle that I haven't tried
before. If you're the same then all you need to do is try out a
recumbent trike and you'll find out for yourself what the appeal is.