PBS TV Program "Frontline" Thursday, November 13th

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Wayne Bryan, Nov 12, 2003.

  1. Wayne Bryan

    Wayne Bryan Guest

    Thursday, November 13th at 9.00 pm and 10.00 pm EST on PBS (check your
    local listings or TV guide for broadcast in your area).

    PBS, for the first tme, will uncover the danger of prescription drugs
    and why this is a huge business. Now that class-action law suits have
    almost finished off the tabacco industry after their exposure to false
    advertising, lies and manipulation, the target is rightly shifting to
    the drug industry. It also examines the plight of senior citizens
    caught up in this prescription drug cycle.

    The first program "Frontline" at 9.00 pm EST is titled "Dangerous
    Prescription. An investigation follows the FDA's approval process and
    examines the role drug companies play in the approval process and
    monitoring of prescription medicines".

    The second program "Frontline" at 10.00 pm EST is titled "The other
    drug war. An examination of issues concerning a Medicare prescription
    drug benefit for seniors. Investigating the conflict between
    pharmaceutical companies and American consumers".

    Wayne Bryan
    http://www.mannapages.com/jdi

    Tags:

  2. BL 1204

    BL 1204 Guest

    Just saw it!! Well, the first thirty five minutes.

    The FDA is like any other govt. bureaucracy, THAT is what was proven.

    If I had my druthers, the FDA would ONLY be an advisory committee, and they
    would not do a thumbs up and down decision. It would be-- "ok six of us
    thought it should be approved and five didn't, look into it and make up your
    own mind." And so forth.

    Everything should be OPEN.

    Let's give the decision making to doctors and patients, and not let the FDA
    train us to be automatons. MDs should have to actually understand the biology
    of what they are prescribing-- and not rely on the FDA. Patients should do
    their own research. The FDA can make errors, whether intentional or not. So
    just let them wallow in their fallibility, and acknowledge it and embrace it.

    Not to mention the risk/reward ratio that only patients and their MDs should be
    qualified to evaluate.

    I value liberty.

    BL

    "As the waves pass the rock, their shape is changed. There is a hologram of
    the rock within the wave that comes forward and crashes on the beach, then
    there's a reflected wave back." Ralph Abraham

    "I'd like to learn to windsurf." BL

  3. Jan

    Jan Guest

    >Subject: Re: PBS TV Program "Frontline" Thursday, November 13th
    >From: [email protected]orgetit (BL 1204)
    >Date: 11/13/2003 7:17 PM Pacific Standard Time
    >
    >Just saw it!! Well, the first thirty five minutes.
    >
    >The FDA is like any other govt. bureaucracy, THAT is what was proven.
    >
    >If I had my druthers, the FDA would ONLY be an advisory committee, and they
    >would not do a thumbs up and down decision. It would be-- "ok six of us
    >thought it should be approved and five didn't, look into it and make up your
    >own mind." And so forth.
    >
    >Everything should be OPEN.
    >
    >Let's give the decision making to doctors and patients, and not let the FDA
    >train us to be automatons. MDs should have to actually understand the
    >biology
    >of what they are prescribing-- and not rely on the FDA. Patients should do
    >their own research. The FDA can make errors, whether intentional or not. So
    >just let them wallow in their fallibility, and acknowledge it and embrace it.
    >

    >Not to mention the risk/reward ratio that only patients and their MDs should
    >be
    >qualified to evaluate.
    >
    >I value liberty.

    HERE HERE!!

    Jan

    >BL
    >
    >"As the waves pass the rock, their shape is changed. There is a hologram of
    >the rock within the wave that comes forward and crashes on the beach, then
    >there's a reflected wave back." Ralph Abraham
    >
    >"I'd like to learn to windsurf." BL

  4. Ilsa9

    Ilsa9 Guest

    >Just saw it!! Well, the first thirty five minutes.
    >
    >The FDA is like any other govt. bureaucracy, THAT is what was proven.

    That's a tautology.

    >If I had my druthers, the FDA would ONLY be an advisory committee, and they
    >would not do a thumbs up and down decision.

    Yeah, if every criminal had their druthers, the FBI, DOJ, and law-enforcement
    in general would ONLY be advisory committees.

    > It would be-- "ok six of us
    >thought it should be approved and five didn't, look into it and make up your
    >own mind." And so forth.

    Yeah, that would be great! Let's do that with the DOT. Let's let an airline
    or railway safety issue be left to the discretion of the individual travelers.
    Surely each individual is an expert and has complete access to the relevant
    information, time to read it, and training to understand it.

    >Everything should be OPEN.

    Science IS open. Commerce and the pursuit of sustainable R&D require some
    level payback for investors.

    >Let's give the decision making to doctors and patients, and not let the FDA
    >train us to be automatons.

    It was my impression that the FDA doesn't Rx any drugs. It was my impression
    the MD's & DO's do that. It was also my impression that people choose to fill
    prescriptions and can go for a second opinion.

    > MDs should have to actually understand the
    >biology
    >of what they are prescribing-- and not rely on the FDA.

    Ever hear of medical school, internship, residency, and private practice?
    Would it surprise you that MD's are trained in biology, pharmacology, and have
    [wait for it....] REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE.

    > Patients should do
    >their own research.

    Yes.

    > The FDA can make errors, whether intentional or not.

    Yes, but they have review processes. They are far more capable of making an
    informed decision about drug approval/usage than the general public. Really,
    they are.

    > So
    >just let them wallow in their fallibility, and acknowledge it and embrace it.

    >Not to mention the risk/reward ratio that only patients and their MDs should
    >be
    >qualified to evaluate.

    Qualified? Perhaps you mean entitled.....

    >I value liberty.

    You're free to risk your own health in a sufficient variety of manners. Doing
    it through the mainstream medical system is NOT a right.

    Let the experts rule. You are free to dissent by not participating or by
    lobbying your elected officials.

  5. BL 1204

    BL 1204 Guest

    Ilsa, did you see the show?

    BL

    "As the waves pass the rock, their shape is changed. There is a hologram of
    the rock within the wave that comes forward and crashes on the beach, then
    there's a reflected wave back." Ralph Abraham

    "I'd like to learn to windsurf." BL

  6. "BL 1204" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Just saw it!! Well, the first thirty five minutes.
    >
    > The FDA is like any other govt. bureaucracy, THAT is what was proven.
    >
    > If I had my druthers, the FDA would ONLY be an advisory committee, and

    they
    > would not do a thumbs up and down decision. It would be-- "ok six of us
    > thought it should be approved and five didn't, look into it and make up

    your
    > own mind." And so forth.
    >
    > Everything should be OPEN.
    >
    > Let's give the decision making to doctors and patients, and not let the

    FDA
    > train us to be automatons. MDs should have to actually understand the

    biology
    > of what they are prescribing-- and not rely on the FDA. Patients should

    do
    > their own research. The FDA can make errors, whether intentional or not.

    So
    > just let them wallow in their fallibility, and acknowledge it and embrace

    it.

    > Not to mention the risk/reward ratio that only patients and their MDs

    should be
    > qualified to evaluate.
    >
    > I value liberty.

    You value the right to shill for a company that uses misleading advertising.

  7. BL 1204

    BL 1204 Guest

    >You value the right to shill for a company that uses misleading advertising.

    Heck NO!! THAT IS WHY WE HAVE FRAUD STATUTES!!!!

    BL

    "As the waves pass the rock, their shape is changed. There is a hologram of
    the rock within the wave that comes forward and crashes on the beach, then
    there's a reflected wave back." Ralph Abraham

    "I'd like to learn to windsurf." BL

  8. Ilsa9

    Ilsa9 Guest

    >Ilsa, did you see the show?
    >
    >BL

    No, I didn't. I must admit that my only exposure to it has been from MHA.

    I still believe that we have to have an agency with the legal authority to
    approve and ban drugs. Its far to complicated and crucial to be left to each
    individual. This isn't a matter of choice like whether or not one chooses to
    smoke or drink liquor.

    Again, a person is free to abstain from medicine. Participation is optional in
    most cases. If you want the benefits of the fruits of medicine, you may have
    to deal with the real-life complications & limitations of the system.

    It ain't perfect, but its better than anything we've had before and it gets
    better every day.

  9. "BL 1204" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > >You value the right to shill for a company that uses misleading

    advertising.

    > Heck NO!! THAT IS WHY WE HAVE FRAUD STATUTES!!!!

    My apologies. You are not the person I was thinking of when I typed that.

    Fraud statutes are useful *after* people have been killed, maimed and
    rendered penniless.

    I prefer prevention.

  10. BL 1204

    BL 1204 Guest

    >Fraud statutes are useful *after* people have been killed, maimed and
    >rendered penniless.
    >
    >I prefer prevention.

    Well, you don't think a jail sentence is a deterrent? Think again.

    BL

    "As the waves pass the rock, their shape is changed. There is a hologram of
    the rock within the wave that comes forward and crashes on the beach, then
    there's a reflected wave back." Ralph Abraham

    "I'd like to learn to windsurf." BL

  11. "BL 1204" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > >Fraud statutes are useful *after* people have been killed, maimed and
    > >rendered penniless.
    > >
    > >I prefer prevention.

    > Well, you don't think a jail sentence is a deterrent? Think again.

    Actually, I do not think that someone who is bent on committing fraud will
    be deterred by a jail sentence.

  12. Wayne Bryan

    Wayne Bryan Guest

    The show should be posted on the pbs website (www.pbs.org) on Sunday