PC RANT

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:49:20 +0100 someone who may be Ross Hamilton
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>You can imagine what happened when he put a light to the barrel...
>
>Certainly instructive. ;-)

Sometimes I re-read, "the finest account of war at sea ever
written"; "Very Ordinary Seaman", by J P W Mallalieu. This is taken
from that and will have happened in about 1940.

"A week before they had expected to go on leave the course was
extended for another two weeks to include training in land warfare.

"The course was new. 'I don't know much about this thing,' said a
Chief with a tommy-gun in his hand. 'But once you are used to
handling weapons of any sort the others usually come easy. This 'ere
is the magazine,' he said holding up a circular object and then
fixing it with some difficulty to the gun. 'Now this will be the
cocking handle. It ought to work like this,' and he pulled and
pushed it, pointing the gun at the class, up in the air, or
anywhere.

"Suddenly, rat-a-tat-tat, and the gun fired. Three small holes
appeared in the corrugated-iron roof.

"'Now, boys, I'm sorry about that. Must 'ave touched the trigger
when I was jerking the cocking handle. That's the worst of these
American things. They're not made as safe as our own stuff. Now,
don't you say anything about this or you'll get me in the rattle
[1], proper. I'll just mention it to the office, but don't you say a
word, will you?'

"Next day they again marched to this drill shed and again were faced
by an Instructor with a tommy-gun in his hand. But it was a
different Instructor. So the other old boy had got in the rattle
after all. Poor old boy! Still, it was his fault.

"They settled themselves and the Instructor began.

"'This,' said the new Instructor , 'is a tommy-gun. It's an American
weapon. You'll 'ave seen it used on the films, I dare say. I don't
know much about it myself, but I'll soon learn,' at which the class,
as one man, threw themselves on the deck."

[1] "the rattle", trouble of various sorts including being sent to
the cells.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

in message <[email protected]>, Tim Hall
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On 31 Mar 2005 11:59:06 +0100 (BST), [email protected] (Alan
> Braggins) wrote:
>
>>Simon Brooke wrote:

>>>He does, however, know his literature, and can quote accurately from
>>>it.

>>I was assuming that James was implying that Richard would have
>>recognized the quote if he had been to grammar school, not that
>>David's grammar was poor.
>>
>>It's been a while since I read it though - aren't telegrams normally
>>all-caps? Or is the quote not the telegram itself directly but someone
>>reading it?

> BETTER DROWNED THAN DUFFERS STOP IF NOT DUFFERS COMMA WONT DROWN STOP.

And that's just wrong. Everyone knows that the original telegram did not
have the STOPs or the COMMA.

;; 'I think we should trust our president in every decision
;; that he makes and we should just support that'
;; Britney Spears of George W Bush, CNN 04:09:03

On 1/4/05 10:03 am, in article
[email protected], "Simon Brooke"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> in message <[email protected]>, Keith Willoughby
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> David Martin <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>>> On 30/3/05 8:24 pm, in article
>>> [email protected], "John Hearns"

>>> Not sure. I'll Mull it over for a while..
>>>
>>> and then get my coat.

>> Before you're pelted with Eiggs?

> That would be a Rum[1] do.
>
> [1] I gather the 'h' is now deprecated.

I wouldn't be advocaating that..

...d

On 1/4/05 10:22 am, in article [email protected], "Tony Raven"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Simon Brooke wrote:
>>
>> And you missed the point too. Didn't /anybody/ read _Swallows and
>> Amazons_ as a child (apart from Richard and David Martin, that is?
>>

> And Famous Five and Secret Seven and Biggles and..... Do kids today
> read them? Must get them out for ours to read

When I was in Norway I helped with a Scout troop. On one memorable trip we
went by canoe on one of the inland lakes to camp on a small Island. Dead
ringer for Wild Cat Island with a campfire circle, small rocky harbour,
wider beach etc. Unlike S & A it rained solidly for the whole weekend.

And no savages in the hills to the SouthEast.

...d

[email protected] (Richard Webb) writes:

>>> Why does nobody remember any chemistry except what went bang?

>>I would tell you, but I can't remember...

> Thanks... Memo to self
>
> More Bangs!
>
> Talking of bangs - Have a look at this
> http://www.theodoregray.com/PeriodicTable/Stories/011.2/
>
> Unfeasably large ammounts of sodium being wetted.

You need to see the Ribbands Explosives "Power and Precision" DVD.
It's awesome, especially if you're not a Billy Bass fan.

http://www.ribbands.co.uk/

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/

Chris Eilbeck wrote:

> You need to see the Ribbands Explosives "Power and Precision" DVD.
> It's awesome, especially if you're not a Billy Bass fan.

Anyone remember Blaster Bates? Hilarious tales of this job as an
explosives expert and a great after dinner speaker in the Fred Dibnah
stylee. Used to live just down the road from where I went to school
(note I'm careful not to say what type of school) and I spent many a
tech drawing lesson watching him blasting the hole for the school
swimming pool and praying for something to go spectacularly wrong like
in his stories. He did come and talk to the sixth form and had stern
warnings from the headmaster about his language - he was renown for the
liberal use of expletives.

Tony

On 1/4/05 5:19 pm, in article [email protected], "Tony Raven"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Chris Eilbeck wrote:
>>
>> You need to see the Ribbands Explosives "Power and Precision" DVD.
>> It's awesome, especially if you're not a Billy Bass fan.
>>

> Anyone remember Blaster Bates? Hilarious tales of this job as an
> explosives expert and a great after dinner speaker in the Fred Dibnah
> stylee.

I thought he was foreign.. bristolian?

Probably wrong. My dad has one of his discourses on LP. 'Non-ferrous metal
prodder' anyone?

> Used to live just down the road from where I went to school
> (note I'm careful not to say what type of school) and I spent many a
> tech drawing lesson watching him blasting the hole for the school
> swimming pool
> and praying for something to go spectacularly wrong like
> in his stories. He did come and talk to the sixth form and had stern
> warnings from the headmaster about his language - he was renown for the
> liberal use of expletives.

Great stories..

...d

David Martin wrote:
> On 1/4/05 5:19 pm, in article [email protected], "Tony Raven"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>Anyone remember Blaster Bates? Hilarious tales of this job as an
>>explosives expert and a great after dinner speaker in the Fred Dibnah
>>stylee.

> I thought he was foreign.. bristolian?

No, Sandbach, Cheshire.

Tony

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 21:36:53 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

[ob Derek "Blaster" Bates]
>No, Sandbach, Cheshire.

Hence the monologue which I remember as "the day there were a shower
of **** over Cheshire".

Very amusing ,Mr Bates, but a bit rood at times.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:24:58 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht
<[email protected]>:

>Down the road from my Infants' School, Evington Valley, which I attended
>from 1964-5.

Just as well it wasn't a grammar school or you'd have been accused of
elitism.

Guy
--

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 21:36:53 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
> wrote in message <[email protected]>:
>
> [ob Derek "Blaster" Bates]
>
>>No, Sandbach, Cheshire.

> Hence the monologue which I remember as "the day there were a shower
> of **** over Cheshire".

"You can't run at 30mph is a pair of wellies"

Ah I remember it well, and the Tale of Knickerbrook if you wanted to
know the real reason a corner at Oulton Park has that name. And The Pub
that changed Colour. I seem to remember he had a penchant for blowing
out cess pits!

Tony

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:24:58 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>

>>Down the road from my Infants' School, Evington Valley, which I attended

>>from 1964-5.

> Just as well it wasn't a grammar school or you'd have been accused of
> elitism.

But we can now infantilize Helen instead

Tony ;-)

David Martin wrote:
> On 1/4/05 10:03 am, in article
> [email protected], "Simon Brooke"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> in message <[email protected]>, Keith Willoughby
>> ('[email protected]') wrote:

>>> Before you're pelted with Eiggs?

>> That would be a Rum[1] do.
>>
>> [1] I gather the 'h' is now deprecated.

> I wouldn't be advocaating that..

That's in keeping with the urc spirit.

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]>typed

> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:24:58 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:

> >Down the road from my Infants' School, Evington Valley, which I attended
> >from 1964-5.

> Just as well it wasn't a grammar school or you'd have been accused of
> elitism.

I confess to having been a _child_ 40 years ago, a very elitist thing to
have been, which is why I attended an Infants' School ;^)

Other, less privileged people are born adult, aren't they?

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 23:49:55 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Other, less privileged people are born adult, aren't they?

I think Leo McKern was born aged about 50.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:38:40 +0100, Tony W wrote:

> A late '50's penny (1d) banger would have the H&S Nazis rushing for their
> risk assessments and modern kids diving for cover. Yet we carried them
> round in our pockets and threw them at each other, cats,

<Ja