PD-7401 Look/Dura-Ace pedal question

Scoochiro

Guest
Recently acquired a set of the Shimano PD-7401 pedals (I've been using the 6401s for years, and
think the Look/Shimano product is my favorite pedal).

However, unlike my 6401s, the right pedal of the 7401s has a small hole on the underside of the
pedal body, at the 6 o'clock position, very close to where the inboard bearings would be.

The left pedal has no such hole.

What's that all about?

I could guess "grease port" but why not on the other pedal? Plus, I think of grease ports as a way
to push the good in and the bad out, and these are so well sealed that that wouldn't happen here.

So, what up?

Ken Harper

I have 3 pair of 7401's and think they are the best. None of mine has a hole like the one you
describe. There is a hole on the inboard side of each pedal back by the latch lever. Don't know what
it's for though.

Jim Wilson

I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle.