PD-M535 bearing size

Zog The Undeniable

Guest
Any ideas? They're the smallest I've ever seen, and certainly smaller
than the 3/32" ones for my older SPDs.

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> Any ideas? They're the smallest I've ever seen, and certainly smaller
> than the 3/32" ones for my older SPDs.

This gets weirder. I've found an old exploded view which specifies 60
(15 per race) 3/32" balls. Mine had 56 (14 per race) balls of a
noticeably smaller size (2.2mm?). I wonder if there was more than one
type of PD-M535?

Anyway, given the likely price of replacement bearings it might be more
economical to drop 20UKP on a new pair and get some 10UKP cleats thrown
in...

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> Zog The Undeniable wrote:
>
> > Any ideas? They're the smallest I've ever seen, and certainly

smaller
> > than the 3/32" ones for my older SPDs.

> This gets weirder. I've found an old exploded view which specifies

60
> (15 per race) 3/32" balls. Mine had 56 (14 per race) balls of a
> noticeably smaller size (2.2mm?). I wonder if there was more than

one
> type of PD-M535?
>
> Anyway, given the likely price of replacement bearings it might be

more
> economical to drop 20UKP on a new pair and get some 10UKP cleats

thrown
> in...

You can get grade 25 (the best) 3/32" bearings here:

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=631609279484&nr=11&b=&c=&sc=&tc=&q=balls&s=

(scroll to the bottom)

a bag of 100 for $3.50 US, or a bottle of 1000 for $29.95.

I have started to buy the 1000 qty lots of grade 25 bearings in various
sizes and am happy that I did.

In article <427e2cdd.0@entanet>, [email protected] says...
> Zog The Undeniable wrote:
>
> > Any ideas? They're the smallest I've ever seen, and certainly smaller
> > than the 3/32" ones for my older SPDs.

> This gets weirder. I've found an old exploded view which specifies 60
> (15 per race) 3/32" balls. Mine had 56 (14 per race) balls of a
> noticeably smaller size (2.2mm?). I wonder if there was more than one
> type of PD-M535?
>
> Anyway, given the likely price of replacement bearings it might be more
> economical to drop 20UKP on a new pair and get some 10UKP cleats thrown
> in...

well I'm not about to pull my 535's apart to count the balls before I
have to! I did manage to pit the cones on one pair at 12,000 km but I
may have adjusted it too tight on a repack. The cones seemed soft as I
filed out the pits with a chainsaw file and the pedals are still OK at
15,000 km now.

I note that the newer designs M520/540 are about 200 gm lighter but have
a different design. Shimano say to use only the single release cleat and
make no mention of the multi-release cleat I use. Others have reported
that the multi works fine but I'm not sure they would release in a crash.