PDA-GPS+Anquet

Theo

Guest
Hello fellow urw-readers,

can anyone give me advise which method to use for walking and scrambling in the Lakedistrict and the
Highlands ? I've never used a GPS before and I would like to use a PDA or PocketPC with the new cd-
roms from Anquet.

A. A PDA connected with cable to a Garmin or Magellan GPS (supported by Anquet)
B. A PDA Bluetooth with a Garmin or Magellan Bluetooth GPS (expensive but you can keep the GPS in
your pockets)
C. A PDA with built-in GPS (like the Garmin iQue 3600, even more expensive)

Is it possible to see, step-by-step, where you are while walking ? It would come in handy during a
white out or after sunset.

Thanks for your advise (and funny comments),

Theo (from Holland)

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 12:15:17 +0100, theo wrote:

>Hello fellow urw-readers,
>
>can anyone give me advise which method to use for walking and scrambling in the Lakedistrict and
>the Highlands ? I've never used a GPS before and I would like to use a PDA or PocketPC with the new
>cd-roms from Anquet.
>
>A. A PDA connected with cable to a Garmin or Magellan GPS (supported by Anquet)
>B. A PDA Bluetooth with a Garmin or Magellan Bluetooth GPS (expensive but you can keep the GPS in
> your pockets)
>C. A PDA with built-in GPS (like the Garmin iQue 3600, even more expensive)
>
>Is it possible to see, step-by-step, where you are while walking ? It would come in handy during a
>white out or after sunset.
>
>Thanks for your advise (and funny comments),

Most PDAs are not particularly waterproof and will suffer if you try and use them in typical UK
walking weather. Another drawback is the limited battery life if you use the PDA to run the GPS. It
may seem like a good idea to have your map on the PDA but in real life (TM) it is far better to have
a paper map (in a waterproof case) since most PDA screens will be limited to about 2x3 km at a
readable scale. My personal solution is to use a paper map and a hand held GPS. You can easily
transfer the reading from the GPS to the map. The problem with this solution is that you can't
easily add a waypoint on the fly.

I like to keep a track of where I have walked so I use the GPS in always on mode (you get a better
fix this way in any case) and record my wanderings in the track log. At the end of the day I
download the track to my computer, or if I am away from home to my PDA. The PDA doesn't perform any
function on a walk other than a store of useful information, if I need it, and sits with my mobile
in a waterproof bag in my rucksack.

Of course all of these electrical gizmos start with freshly charged batteries and there will always
be spares for the GPS in my sac and a compass in my pocket.

Phil Cook wrote:

> My personal solution is to use a paper map and a hand held GPS. You can easily transfer the
> reading from the GPS to the map. The problem with this solution is that you can't easily add a
> waypoint on the fly.

But if you are heading into an unknown area, or expect bad visibility, then it's simple enough to
pre-load a bunch of useful waypoints before you go.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

theo wrote:

> Is it possible to see, step-by-step, where you are while walking ?

Probably. Nice as it is though, it's still a bit of a gimmick at the moment, what with short battery
life, small screen size and not being waterproof.

> It would come in handy during a white out or after sunset.

So does a normal GPS with no map. All you need is a number of well placed waypoints. I've done
plenty of night and fog walks with no problems at all. I'm sure the full colour mapping option is
very pretty, but you don't really need it. Non mapping GPS units will do the same job, just without
the eye candy.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> theo wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to see, step-by-step, where you are while walking ?
>
> Probably. Nice as it is though, it's still a bit of a gimmick at the moment, what with short
> battery life, small screen size and not being waterproof.
>
> > It would come in handy during a white out or after sunset.
>
> So does a normal GPS with no map. All you need is a number of well placed waypoints. I've done
> plenty of night and fog walks with no problems at all. I'm sure the full colour mapping option is
> very pretty, but you don't really need it. Non mapping GPS units will do the same job, just
> without the eye candy.
>
> Paul
> --
> http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk
> http://www.photosig.com/go/users/userphotos?id=118749

Have to agree to a large degree. I think the advantage of hanging a pda of a gps and running
something like Anquet or OziexplorerCE is that you get a preview of the terrain you will be moving
over, particularly if using something like 'moving map' (goto) in OziexplorerCE. Mapping gps's are a
bit of a waste of money I now think (and this from the owner of a Garmin Vista). There is no
definition on the screen in anything like hilly country.

One big advantage with pda and gps is in windy conditions, no flapping map whilst refolding to move
from one area to another.

Comment about battery life (on pda?) accepted but when I use the combo it's for quick looks to see
what/how I'm doing. Just the same as using a map. I don't keeping looking at the map all the time
nor do I keep looking at the pda all the time. I get about four hours use out of my Ipaq, which is
good enough for a two day trip, certainly enough for a day and I can charge the Ipaq in the car if
necessary.

Just my bit.

Mike Mason

"Mike Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message > >
> Mapping gps's are a bit of a waste of money I now think (and this from the owner of a Garmin
> Vista). There is no definition on the screen in anything like hilly country.

This is true for the maps I've seen so far, but do you think this will fix it :

http://www.mantsbrite.com/zDetails.asp?ID=MapSend%20Topo%20NEW%20!

The US version gets mixed reviews, but OS data is likely to be much more accurate than the free USGS
maps. If they can bear to sell it without crippling the content.

-adrian

"Adrian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Mike Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message > >
> > Mapping gps's are a bit of a waste of money I now think (and this from the owner of a Garmin
Vista).
> > There is no definition on the screen in anything like hilly country.
> >

> This is true for the maps I've seen so far, but do you think this will fix it :
>
> http://www.mantsbrite.com/zDetails.asp?ID=MapSend%20Topo%20NEW%20!
>
> The US version gets mixed reviews, but OS data is likely to be much more accurate than the free
> USGS maps. If they can bear to sell it without crippling the content.
>
> -adrian

Mmhhhhhhhhhh. If I had a Magellan (colour screen ????) maybe and the cost was ok. I think overall I
would still prefer a gps hung onto a pda. More screen and I can make notes on what I've just taken
a photo of.

Have a look at this which does seem reasonable

http://www.srtm.co.uk/

If they do clean up the data and the data is usable in the apps I want it seems very reasonable. On
the other hand wait a bit longer and maybe those nice American people will clean it up and release
it for free. Now if I could get Landsat data free that would be something else.

Mike

"theo" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> Hello fellow urw-readers,
>
> can anyone give me advise which method to use for walking and scrambling
in
> the Lakedistrict and the Highlands ? I've never used a GPS before and I would like to use a PDA or
> PocketPC with the new cd-roms from Anquet.

Thank you all for your advise and ideas. It's a short thread but there is a lot GPS talk going on in
urw at the moment. In the future I will buy a GPS system but not at the moment.(electronic devices
tend to get better and cheaper every year). For the time being I will stick to map, compass and
altitudemeter.

Theo