Peak condition with minimal training possible?

Doctor Morbius

Mar 15, 2004
Has anyone here been able to get into peak or near peak condition with minimal training? Is it necessary to log in 12+ hours a week to achieve a personal best at say, a 30 min time trial?

If you've been able to do so, please share how you went about it. Thanks.

I haven't done it myself, but on 12 hours a week, you could run 24 30-minute time trials over the course of a week. Maybe bunch up a few at the start of the week, do some longer slower things mid-week (but still under an hour in duration), and some 20 minute LT workouts end of the week, take the weekend to recover.
With this, most of your training volume could take place in race specific conditions, but still include some longer rides.

Doctor Morbius said:
Has anyone here been able to get into peak or near peak condition with minimal training? Is it necessary to log in 12+ hours a week to achieve a personal best at say, a 30 min time trial?

Ok, I had to laugh when i read the title of this thread. How to peak with minimal training? Like all that's necessary to peak is to eat certain food, maybe add in some voodoo and, dare I say it, performance enhancing drugs, and viola! A personal best in a TT.

You know that the reality is that training is necessary. To get fitter on the bike, go out and ride it - a lot. Do you intervals, do your LSD, do your hill repeats. You'll get stronger, boost your threshold power, and rock your TT.

But I get what you are saying. You want to know what is really necessary to specifically perform well on a TT. I recommend training above your threshold. Maybe some sets of 5min intervals. Another good workout (that hurts like hell) is to work just below your LT (85-90% of LT) for 20-30min and mix in some VO2 max efforts every 5-10 min for a couple of minutes. These workouts don't take very long (1.5hrs) but are very effective at increasing your threshold power which is what you need for your TT.

Sounds like there's no way around putting the time in the saddle. I was hoping to be able to achieve 90% or so of peak fitness on 4 hours a week.

I guess I've been watching infomercials too long. :D

Dr. Coggan had a workout that he called the 90/90/90. The workout takes an hour and in doing it 3x per week he was able to maintain fitness through the winter. IIRC it went something like this:

5 min w/u
20 min at 90% of my in-season 20 min best
5 min recovery
5 min at 90% of my in-season 5 min best
2.5 min recovery
5 min at 90% of my in-season 5 min best
2.5 min recovery
30 s at 90% of my in-season 30 s best
2 min recovery
2 min recovery
2 min recovery
2 min recovery
5 min w/d

This scheme wouldn't get you to peak condition, but the principle is clear. If your time is limited, there's little room for easy pedalling. Spend as much time at or near your FTP as possible. IMO a power meter is an absolutely essential tool if one is trying to maximize fitness with minimal time to train.

I think you could get pretty good results if the intensity of the training was high enough and we are not talking about multi-stage racing. Of course we are dealing with a multitude of variables and that being said the guy that rides 200 miles a week will generally have an adavantages over the guy that rides 100.
I say give it your best and increase the intensity of your training.

Under the Gun - bicycling.com

This is a pretty good program for the time stressed. I have used this workout with some success. Not everything Carmichael says should be taken as gospel, but that doesn't mean that everything he says is nonsense either. This is a pretty solid routine for someone with limited time who is looking to use that time wisely, in other words, a high percentage of your time on the bike is done at relatively high intensity.

Doctor Morbius said:

Do 3x20mins 4 times a week, at or near your threshold for weeks on end and you will improve. I do 3x25 with 5 minutes rest just to keep then timing easy cause I kinda get brain dead when going that hard... ;)