Peak District MTB Holiday

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mark \, May 6, 2003.

  1. Mark \

    Mark \ Guest

    Hi all,

    Myself and two mates are hoping to go on a 3-4 day biking trip in the Peak District at some point in
    July. The (vague) plan is to pick a 'base' at a youth hostel and go out riding for the whole of each
    day, returning at night. We will be without transport (arriving by train with bikes) so can't really
    move our base around during our stay. We're uni students so budget is a consideration...

    Can anyone recommend a good place to base ourselves? Our riding is mostly technical XC, we're all
    well experienced and fit so we're hoping for some good trails. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

    Cheers

    Mark

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Mark (UK) wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Myself and two mates are hoping to go on a 3-4 day biking trip in the Peak District at some point
    > in July. The (vague) plan is to pick a 'base' at a youth hostel and go out riding for the whole of
    > each day, returning at night. We will be without transport (arriving by train with bikes) so can't
    > really move our base around during our stay. We're uni students so budget is a consideration...
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a good place to base ourselves? Our riding is mostly technical XC, we're all
    > well experienced and fit so we're hoping for some good trails. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

    Sheffield would be your best bet, I would have thought. You have all the benefits of being in a
    metropolitan area plus you're right near the Peaks.

    There's a YMCA in Broomhall which is only a couple of minutes from Eccleshall park which is the
    gateway to the Peaks if you're on foot / bike. That would provide a perfect base, although it's
    still in the middle of a city, so take care of the bikes.

    As an added bonus, you'll be very close to one of the major student areas in Sheffield - Eccleshall
    Road, so cheap beer. Wahey!

    Although you won't be central to the Peaks, you'll be able to hit most of the highlights from your
    base, especially if you're fit and you're out the whole day.

    If you need any more info, either post here, or send a mail to jh <at> acme <dot> com.

  3. Mark \

    Mark \ Guest

    > Mark (UK) wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Myself and two mates are hoping to go on a 3-4 day biking trip in the
    Peak
    > > District at some point in July. The (vague) plan is to pick a 'base' at
    > > youth hostel and go out riding for the whole of each day, returning at night. We will be without
    > > transport (arriving by train with bikes) so
    can't
    > > really move our base around during our stay. We're uni students so
    budget is
    > > a consideration...
    > >
    > > Can anyone recommend a good place to base ourselves? Our riding is
    mostly
    > > technical XC, we're all well experienced and fit so we're hoping for
    some
    > > good trails. Any thoughts are much appreciated.
    >
    > Sheffield would be your best bet, I would have thought. You have all the benefits of being in a
    > metropolitan area plus you're right near the Peaks.
    >
    > There's a YMCA in Broomhall which is only a couple of minutes from Eccleshall park which is the
    > gateway to the Peaks if you're on foot / bike. That would provide a perfect base, although it's
    > still in the middle of a city, so take care of the bikes.
    >
    > As an added bonus, you'll be very close to one of the major student areas in Sheffield -
    > Eccleshall Road, so cheap beer. Wahey!
    >
    > Although you won't be central to the Peaks, you'll be able to hit most of the highlights from your
    > base, especially if you're fit and you're out the whole day.
    >
    > If you need any more info, either post here, or send a mail to jh <at> acme <dot> com.
    >
    > --
    > a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
    >
    > a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

    Sounds good, would like to see any additional info you have. My only concern would be overnight bike
    storage, what normally happens at these places, what's the security like? Don't normally leave our
    best bikes locked up places, and obviously the commuter bikes aren't an option for this trip...

    Cheers

  4. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Mark (UK) wrote:

    > Sounds good, would like to see any additional info you have.

    Well, it's over five years since I last rode there, so my memory of trails is hazy to say the least.
    I'm sure that sort of thing is much better covered elsewhere on the 'net.

    Accomodation: Sheffield YMCA has its home page at http://www.sheffieldymca.co.uk - you'll have to
    phone and check for policy on staying there (I really don't know anything about the YMCA, I just
    know it's there). If that falls through, try
    http://www.yha.org.uk/website-yhauk/sctn_rgnl/peak-district.html

    Food and drink: If you do end up in the YMCA, there are a load of good bars and restaurants, just
    round the corner on Eccleshall road. I can give you more info when you know where you're staying.

    My only concern
    > would be overnight bike storage, what normally happens at these places, what's the security like?
    > Don't normally leave our best bikes locked up places, and obviously the commuter bikes aren't an
    > option for this trip...

    Here I'm totally lost - I've never stayed in hostels or the like, so I don't know the procedure.
    Best off phoning them up to ask.

  5. Have your tryed Hathersage? it's about 10 miles outside Sheffield, has a railway station and YHA (or
    it did the last time I was there)

    "Mark (UK)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Myself and two mates are hoping to go on a 3-4 day biking trip in the Peak District at some point
    > in July. The (vague) plan is to pick a 'base' at a youth hostel and go out riding for the whole of
    > each day, returning at night. We will be without transport (arriving by train with bikes) so
    can't
    > really move our base around during our stay. We're uni students so budget
    is
    > a consideration...
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a good place to base ourselves? Our riding is mostly technical XC, we're all
    > well experienced and fit so we're hoping for some good trails. Any thoughts are much appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Mark

  6. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    bomba wrote:
    > Mark (UK) wrote:
    >
    >> Sounds good, would like to see any additional info you have.

    Tissington Trail perhaps? Does the Peak Districy ever feature in mtb Route Guides? Mike