Peak/race prep

mark_e_smith

May 26, 2004
Just curious as to what you guys do during your peak/race periods, whether you follow the old periodization system or not. I race almost every weekend and I trained thru the last couple, but didn't feel too bad. I was doing long 10-20 min LT's and some shorter VO2 max stuff. I was thinking of having only Wednesdays as my intensity day with shorter (3 min) all out efforts, then some short sprints on Friday to clear the legs out. I'm trying out new ideas this year so lemme know what works for you. Thanks!

mark_e_smith said:
Just curious as to what you guys do during your peak/race periods, whether you follow the old periodization system or not. I race almost every weekend and I trained thru the last couple, but didn't feel too bad. I was doing long 10-20 min LT's and some shorter VO2 max stuff. I was thinking of having only Wednesdays as my intensity day with shorter (3 min) all out efforts, then some short sprints on Friday to clear the legs out. I'm trying out new ideas this year so lemme know what works for you. Thanks!
I've got a block of 4 weekends coming up next week. At that point, all I do is a Tues night crit and race Sat/Sun. Maybe a couple of mod-easy rides if recovering well, especially on Friday. Sounds like you already figured it out.

Racing requires your full attention, so rest as hard as you compete.

YMCA said:
I've got a block of 4 weekends coming up next week.
I wish I could figure out a way to work 4 weekends into my weeks. So far my boss has resisted the idea. :)

frenchyge said:
I wish I could figure out a way to work 4 weekends into my weeks. So far my boss has resisted the idea. :)

My boss is always trying to get me to fit a bunch of work in my work week... ;)

As for peaking, I wanted to see who takes most of the week easy, plus what type of intensity they do. I find it harder to recover from the long TT's so I'll prolly just keep em on the vo2 max side...