Peaks Users: what custom charts?

PSUcycling

Nov 23, 2003
For those of you also using CyclingPeaks. What custom charts have you added?

I'll Start with mine:

Mean Maximal power Curve for 2005 dates and one for 2006 dates.
Weekly Time and Distance
Weekly TSS and IF

Jmac

1) Mean Max Power by month for season (peak, 5s, 1m, 5m, 20m monthly values)
2) Same as above, but w/kg
3) Training Hours, Mileage, and IF by month for season

Good thread. Maybe we'll see some good, new ideas.

Weekly TSS for the training year (bar graph) with a line graph of training hours on the same parameters. When you can't add hours up north, better add intensity. This allows me to ramp up TSS in base as illustrated (I am in the middle of week 4 right now, it will exceed week 3).

Also, a pie chart of power zones for the current week. sorta like Friel's descriptions, these help me visualize what base should look like (80% AR and E and 20% ME+).

My bread and butter CP charts are the max NP/duration curve and daily/weekly IF/TSS. But, I'm building my own chart (outside of CP) for my main daily and weekly ride summary = total L4-L7 interval minutes. The reason I can't use the standard CP chart is that it buckets all time by level rather than interval minutes that fall within the target durations (e.g., 10+ mins for L4s). I only want the true interval time by level.

RapDaddyo said:
My bread and butter CP charts are the max NP/duration curve and daily/weekly IF/TSS. But, I'm building my own chart (outside of CP) for my main daily and weekly ride summary = total L4-L7 interval minutes. The reason I can't use the standard CP chart is that it buckets all time by level rather than interval minutes that fall within the target durations (e.g., 10+ mins for L4s). I only want the true interval time by level.
I use Mean Maximal power chart back to start of my re-build last summer (rather than the last 28 days). Same time range for Normalized maximal power.

I also have a chart for 1-min, 5-min,20-min,15-min,60-min, 120-min ride metrics for Avg. power and another for Norm. Power (over same time range).

I narrowed the bin size on the Power distribution chart to 10W but similar to RD, since 2002 I've been manually tracking 'effective/continuous' time in Levels 3,4,5,6. I find L3 quite productive and spend a lot of time there but haven't done a spring since the 80's! I then turn those times into TSS per training level (using mid-range IF for that level - that's typical for me) and track the percentages of TSS garnered in L3/4/5/6 to my overall TSS load.

I have asked and would love for CPS to include this 'effective time' concept - in effect adding a time filter to the current 2D Power distribution chart.

I have another couple of external 'big picture' Training load charts since 2002 and for the last 12 months.

ANd I forgot to mention my weekly TSS load bar chart plus avg. weekly IF line graph. That's one of my favorites.

Maybe we can list what we don't use as well?
1. Cadence distribution chart ...
2. Daily distance, time, IF (I have periods of m/b non-power riding fall.winter.spring so have to estimate everything from HR/PE and time)

rmur

rmur17 said:
I've been manually tracking 'effective/continuous' time in Levels 3,4,5,6. I find L3 quite productive and spend a lot of time there but haven't done a spring since the 80's! I then turn those times into TSS per training level (using mid-range IF for that level - that's typical for me) and track the percentages of TSS garnered in L3/4/5/6 to my overall TSS load.

I have asked and would love for CPS to include this 'effective time' concept - in effect adding a time filter to the current 2D Power distribution chart.
I'm writing something for this. I'll send it to you when I have it working to get your thoughts. The only issue is defining the rules for inclusion and how to treat "intervals within intervals" -- maybe a larger problem for me than you because I don't do traditional intervals but rather adapt intensity to the course.

rmur17 said:
I have periods of m/b non-power riding fall.winter.spring so have to estimate everything from HR/PE and time
You know about the workout file maker I made for this purpose, don't you?

RapDaddyo said:
I'm writing something for this. I'll send it to you when I have it working to get your thoughts. The only issue is defining the rules for inclusion and how to treat "intervals within intervals" -- maybe a larger problem for me than you because I don't do traditional intervals but rather adapt intensity to the course.

could you explain more how to develop a file for when I run? If I put 0 for watts or cadence it doesn't seem to work. How is this accomplished?

thanks

jmac

i've got a scatter plot at the season level - in red is average power for each ride, and in black is average HR. seems to give some indication of form. no one pair of dots means anything too interesting when compared with another, but to see the trend by way of the scatter plot seems like a good way to track form throughout the season.

PSUcycling said:
could you explain more how to develop a file for when I run? If I put 0 for watts or cadence it doesn't seem to work. How is this accomplished?

thanks

jmac
Hey jmac, I'm not actually sure which values are mandatory for CP. If I have time, I'll go through the variables one at a time and see which ones work with zero values. The other alternative is to just put in a non-zero number (e.g., 100 for cadence and 100 for watts).

P.S., I now realize that I put in an edit that checks for non-zero values for everything, under the assumption that CP requires non-zero values for everything. I'll test CP's import feature with some files with zero values and see if they work. If so, I'll remove the data edit(s) and re-post the application file.

RapDaddyo said:

Currently I eyeball my .wko graphs for periods of 'notable' intensity. I'll admit to counting NP rather than AP for L4 if hills force me to drop the AP a little. My cutoff times are just based on Andy's original guidelines ... no thinking on my part :)

For overlapping intervals - I do it manually and simply log what feels logical based on the type of ride. But if I had to code it I suspect I would count (or highlight) the highest power section and ask the user to confirm that interval should be logged as such.

What I was thinking of re CPS is roughly:
1. Allow the user to enter a search power range (or select L3/4/5/6 from their profile).
2. Allow the user to enter an 'effective duration' (or select from a drop-down, durations would default to 30min, 15min, 3min, 30sec if Levels were selected in #1).
3. Search the file for periods of Sustained AP that meets or exceed the user's specs.
4. Highlight the sections that fulfill the specs and display total duration and TSS. Allow the user to name the intervals or just log the duration/interval TSS and discard them.

If I were using this feature, I would start at the highest power range of interest for that ride .. for example L5. Search params would be AP>1.05FT for >3min. I'd log total time in L5/TSS from the highlighted intervals.

I'd then select L4. Search params would be >0.90FT for >15min and I'd note/log as before.

Finally I'd select L3. Search params would be >0.75FT for >30min. Often that would be the entire darn ride so the benefit lessens as one drops in power. But if I were doing L2 rides as I did back in 2003/2004, this could still be useful in picking out 'significant' L3 o/o that data.

I'd log the data as duration/TSS in the three levels with the proviso that the Higher Level overrules. For instance, let's say there was a hilly circuit with a nice 5-min climb. An hour may have averaged 0.95FT which would ostensibly be L4 but the 'real' story is the the 6 hard climbs at say 1.15FT. I'd log the 6x5 or 30min in L5 and not the hour L4.

I would NOT want to try & code something comprehensive for this. I'd be happy if CPS just had the nice specifiable power-range or Level search with the effective duration filter added. I don't mind logging manually.

Finally before someone mentions the Fast Find - it's a start but what I want is AVERAGE POWER > XX Watts for YY Minutes ... not to specify an Entry/Exit power as per that feature. I guess F/F would work just fine for L7 though as durations are quite short anyway.

RD, re the file maker, my primary log has been in Excel for year (plus my big picture stuff) so I wouldn't really use that. Sounds like a nice idea for those who use CPS as the main repository of training data.

rmur