pealling push up push down

Chapeau! said:
No fergs. Common sense prevails.

Stronger hip flexors, stronger kick.

Don't troll.

Ha ha an anonymous poster calls those who ride bikes and coach trolls. Classy.

But no studies of subjects using a crank that forces hip flexor recruitment have been shown to improve power or race results. This has only been claimed but no data has been presented.

fergs said:
But no studies of subjects using a crank that forces hip flexor recruitment have been shown to improve power or race results. This has only been claimed but no data has been presented.

You love pulling my leg.

The hip flexors are a major muscle source used in cycling for propelling the bike forwards.

The stronger the hip flexors, the more force ("kick") I can apply to the pedals, hence speed & power.

Chapeau! said:
You love pulling my leg.

The hip flexors are a major muscle source used in cycling for propelling the bike forwards.

The stronger the hip flexors, the more force ("kick") I can apply to the pedals, hence speed & power.

Your opinion about major muscle source's has been duly noted.

:D

fergie said:
Your opinion about major muscle source's has been duly noted.

Cycling doesn't use the Hip flexors?.

Why would you intentionally weaken/neglect part of the generator?.

Chapeau! said:
Cycling doesn't use the Hip flexors?.

Why would you intentionally weaken/neglect part of the generator?.

You are the strength and cycling guru. You tell us.

May I suggest Biomechanics for Dummies to complement Ex Phys for Dummies.

fergie said:
You are the strength and cycling guru. You tell us.

Exactly fergs. You wouldn't.

Look... A picture of the Hip flexors.

hip-flexors-muscles.jpg

We see the Hip flexor attaches from the CORE of the body to the leg. What did we say about the CORE?. The core muscles are contracting before the extremities (legs). Why would you intentionally weaken the generator?.

That is some serious muscle considering it stems from the "Powerhouse" of the body, the part which contracts before the legs.

Chapeau! said:
Exactly fergs. You wouldn't.

Look... A picture of the Hip flexors.

That is some serious muscle considering it stems from the "Powerhouse" of the body, the part which contracts before the legs.

I see your piddly psoa and raise you a...

Gluteus_maximus.png

and...

fergie said:
I see your piddly psoa and raise you a...

fergs, GRANTED.

The glutes & quads are the prime movers. But...

What if Twin #1 & Twin #2 had the same power in the glutes & quads & the success of the winner came down to who had the most powerful/strongest hip flexors?.

... but if you get your psoas to pull the pedal up then you're not trying to use your hamstrings or calves as much to 'try' to pull the pedals up. Using your psoas to do that makes the transition to using the quads more seemless - at least after the first few months. Plus it saves the ol' hammys for other more fun stuff.

But I guess it's worth mentioning again that the guys who used to ride for Mapei used to like their Powercranks. Guys like Bettini and Evans... which makes the last three of the four UCI world road champions. One wonders if that if their top guys, including Giro winner Garzelli, were using them what about the 'kids' on the Mapei development squad like Pozzato, Cancellara, and Mick Rogers...

swampy1970 said:
... but if you get your psoas to pull the pedal up then you're not trying to use your hamstrings or calves as much to 'try' to pull the pedals up. Using your psoas to do that makes the transition to using the quads more seemless - at least after the first few months. Plus it saves the ol' hammys for other more fun stuff.

Cozy Beehive: What Muscles Are You Using to Pedal?

pedalstroke_large.gif

No!. Its quite evident the hamstrings, calves, hip flexors & shins are activated in the pulling.

Chapeau! said:
fergs, GRANTED.

The glutes & quads are the prime movers. But...

What if Twin #1 & Twin #2 had the same power in the glutes & quads & the success of the winner came down to who had the most powerful/strongest hip flexors?.
groundhog_day.jpg

I chatted to a chick on fitness-singles.com and she told me that quads and calfs were the best for pedalling.

She also said I had a massive ****.

She is a genius IMO.

The end.

swampy1970 said:
Guys like Bettini and Evans... which makes the last three of the four UCI world road champions. One wonders if that if their top guys, including Giro winner Garzelli, were using them what about the 'kids' on the Mapei development squad like Pozzato, Cancellara, and Mick Rogers...

Oh joy, lets all ignore the science and rely on appeals to authority and celebrity endorsement.

swampy1970 said:
But I guess it's worth mentioning again that the guys who used to ride for Mapei used to like their Powercranks. Guys like Bettini and Evans... which makes the last three of the four UCI world road champions.
Is your point that they 'used' to like Powercranks but no longer do?
How much, if any, of their time is spent training with Powercranks?

gregf83 said:
Is your point that they 'used' to like Powercranks but no longer do?
How much, if any, of their time is spent training with Powercranks?

Given that Bettini is retired from racing one may assume that "used too" may be quite apt...

swampy1970 said:
Given that Bettini is retired from racing one may assume that "used too" may be quite apt...
I was thinking of Evans. Any reason why he stopped using them?