pealling push up push down

alienator said:
No! Don't you understand what will happen iffin' you continue to eat at Subway? You'll end up losing about 200 pounds, just like Jared Fogel did......or was it Dan Fogelberg......The last thing you want is for your mass to go negative (and hasn't mass already been negative enough, what with the controversy surrounding the inability of priests to keep their hands and mouths out of little boys pants and how that controversy is dividing Catholics?).

Well aside from loosing weight with subway, you will also raise your FTP substantially.

Wait, you mean to tell me that the alter boy lessons I got as a kid were something more ?

gman0482 said:
Damn I forgot about Subway... That must be it then. That sub I eat for lunch at 3 pm because I'm starving, that must be the protein that made my legs grow.

Well yeah, considering the fact protein is the best muscle builder on the planet.

Go figure!.

fergs said:
They all do weights and strength work in the gym. What you can't explain is how Meares and Guo are stronger but Pendalton is better.

Better (positive power-to-weight ratio); Relative strength.

You did say Meares was a big rig.

fergs said:
Well it's pretty clear you don't understand many things.

We understand the Kings & Queens of the track don't train specificity full-time.

FACT.

jollyrogers said:
Has Frank given you a set of cranks to help you train for the challenge you laid at Dr. C's feet?

Me race Doc C.? I did say dominate, didn't I (but with the help of a tow rope).

No, I have yet to receive any powercranks so that is my excuse! :D Puleeze, he'd smear me across creation in no time flat. That offer stood BEFORE I knew he was a US Road Cycling Champ (thanks fergie), when I thought of him as just a behind the desk, coke bottled glasses, skinny, nerdy doc type, not some pro elite racer.:eek:

Doods got some serious backing to his name.

Chapeau! said:
Well yeah, considering the fact protein is the best muscle builder on the planet.

Go figure!.

LOL, Please tell me that you're just putting on a show with everyone here just to troll a little and feel attention.

Sad...

Chapeau! said:

Considering muscle is protein. Gee nothing gets past you:rolleyes:

Better (positive power-to-weight ratio); Relative strength.

You did say Meares was a big rig.

Ahh, so you coming round to the concept that strength isn't everything. When I saw her at 2008 Oceania Games she was definitely not petite.

We understand the Kings & Queens of the track don't train specificity full-time.

And who said they should? If I was Anna Meares I would be doing something about the size of my **** before I worried about how fast I was going.

gman0482 said:
LOL, Please tell me that you're just putting on a show with everyone here just to troll a little and feel attention.

Sad...

Protein is made of amino acids. Amino acids are the basic building blocks of muscle. Therefore, protein is an essential ingredient for muscle building. You can't build muscle without it! You will want to take in about 1-2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight throughout the day.

You wanted to know what the muscle mass on your legs stemmed from. Voila!.

Doesn't eat protein?, eating a 700 calorie sub loaded with meat? or fish? & an evening meal to boot.

Take a walk.

fergs said:
Ahh, so you coming round to the concept that strength isn't everything. When I saw her at 2008 Oceania Games she was definitely not petite.

From the outset, I always placed massive emphasis on relative strength, CNS stimulation NOT hypertrophy, muscle mass or absolute strength.

Relative strength (positive power-to-weight ratio) RELATIVE STRENGTH; The Importance of a Positive Power-to-Weight Ratio

fergs said:
And who said they should? If I was Anna Meares I would be doing something about the size of my **** before I worried about how fast I was going.

In a way yes, but the **** is one of the significant generators into getting maximum torque into the cranks. And usually the bigger the ****, the more muscle fibers you will usually have.

Chapeau! said:
From the outset, I always placed massive emphasis on relative strength, CNS stimulation NOT hypertrophy, muscle mass or absolute strength.

So that was why you kept raving about the size of Tony Martin and Fabian Cancellara's thigh's:rolleyes:

Peer review please. Anyone can start a blog and post any s**t on the net.

In a way yes, but the **** is one of the significant generators into getting maximum torque into the cranks. And usually the bigger the ****, the more muscle fibers you will usually have.

If you had seen Meares in person you would know what I mean.

But wait, were you not raving how the hip flexor is the significant contributor of power on the bike? Make your mind up will you:p

Amateur

:D

fergs said:
So that was why you kept raving about the size of Tony Martin and Fabian Cancellara's thigh's:rolleyes:

Compared to Bradley Wiggins, Yes.

The ability to generate greater forces.

fergs said:
Peer review please. Anyone can start a blog and post any s**t on the net.

I told you, peer reviewed journals are an interesting read but I wouldn't be able to extract a FULL training program from them.

No s**t about it.

Relative strength (positive power-to-weight ratio) is more important than absolute strength for functional movement. If one trains in a manner that causes muscle hypertrophy (increased size) in order to bench or squat greater weight the ability to run, jump, cycle, climb or do pull-ups, push-ups etc etc is compromised.

Its a fact.

fergs said:
But wait, were you not raving how the hip flexor is the significant contributor of power on the bike? Make your mind up will you:p

Key word; Contributor.

Chapeau! said:
Compared to Bradley Wiggins, Yes.

The ability to generate greater forces.

But Bradley has 3 Olympic Titles and Fabian only 1. Bradley's were all on the track which means greater forces than Fabian. How did he win with those matchstick legs:D

I told you, peer reviewed journals are an interesting read but I wouldn't be able to extract a FULL training program from them.

No s**t about it.
Sorry Armchair troll reviewed doesn't really do it for me. No let your man be assessed by members of the scientific community.

Relative strength (positive power-to-weight ratio) is more important than absolute strength for functional movement. If one trains in a manner that causes muscle hypertrophy (increased size) in order to bench or squat greater weight the ability to run, jump, cycle, climb or do pull-ups, push-ups etc etc is compromised.

But above you say that Cancellara and Martin are better because of bigger muscle.

Now you are saying that power and strength are the same thing?

You are a troll of many contradictions:D

fergs said:
But Bradley has 3 Olympic Titles and Fabian only 1. Bradley's were all on the track which means greater forces than Fabian. How did he win with those matchstick legs:D

Wiggins is now no match for Cancellara in TT'ing.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuAzka-zz3w]YouTube - Cancellara dépasse wiggins au chrono des championnats du monde mendrisio 2009[/ame]

Cancellara has also been the more successful.

fergs said:
Sorry Armchair troll reviewed doesn't really do it for me. No let your man be assessed by members of the scientific community.

Its not Armchair troll reviewed. Relative strength (positive power-to-weight ratio) RELATIVE STRENGTH; The Importance of a Positive Power-to-Weight Ratio

What the hell as the scientific community got to do with determining something that is already a fact for increasing athletic performance?.

Seems your relying to heavily on science & getting left behind in the process if that is the case.

fergs said:
But above you say that Cancellara and Martin are better because of bigger muscle.

Now you are saying that power and strength are the same thing?

Cancellara has the ability to generate greater forces with his larger frame, but doesn't seem to significantly affect his power particularly on the flats.

Chapeau! said:
Wiggins is now no match for Cancellara in TT'ing.

Cancellara has also been the more successful.

Wiggins 6 x World Champion 3 x Olympic Champ
Fabian 3 x World Champion 1 x Olympic Champ

Wiggins is not a dedicated TT rider.

Its not Armchair troll reviewed. Relative strength (positive power-to-weight ratio) RELATIVE STRENGTH; The Importance of a Positive Power-to-Weight Ratio

Yes it is. Your the only one who has reviewed it and your a troll. You don't add anything to the forum through research or experience only what you find from a Google search. Sorry, but any idiot can write stuff on the internet. It could be written by you for all we know and you can't get your story straight:rolleyes:

What the hell as the scientific community got to do with determining something that is already a fact for increasing athletic performance?.

Because that is their job. Many a fact has been proven to be false under scientific scrutiny.

Seems your relying to heavily on science & getting left behind in the process if that is the case.

Poor me, guess all my clients come to me for my personality, good looks and stunning physique.

No you clearly pointed to the size of Cancellara's legs as evidence of hypertrophy from off the bike training and this was the basis of his TT ability. Would also like to add that you haven't yet shown any proof that he performs weight training in season.

OTOH I have shown evidence that CNS is very specific and Dr Coggan has suggested that it is so specific that activity in one muscle fiber has no effect on that fibres neighbours.

And your still confusing strength with power. Strength is the maximum weight you can lift. Relative strength is your strength/body weight. We have provided pretty good evidence that cycling (even sprinting) is not a strength limited sport. Reviewing a riders SRM file from a 200m sprint or 250m standing start will show you that strength is not a factor in the same way it is to weightlifter, Javelin thrower or gymnast.

Cancellara has the ability to generate greater forces with his larger frame.

Ha ha, is that it.

Amateur

fergs said:
Wiggins 6 x World Champion 3 x Olympic Champ
Fabian 3 x World Champion 1 x Olympic Champ

Wiggins is not a dedicated TT rider.

Just as Cancellara is not as dedicated to the track, but we have seen who dominates the road part of cycling.

fergs said:
Yes it is. Your the only one who has reviewed it and your a troll. You don't add anything to the forum through research or experience only what you find from a Google search. Sorry, but any idiot can write stuff on the internet. It could be written by you for all we know and you can't get your story straight:rolleyes:

Because that is their job. Many a fact has been proven to be false under scientific scrutiny.

Unfortunately for you, relative strength has already been proven by the scientific community to determine the fact that it's a basic fundamental for increased athletic performance.

Now your the troll. :D

fergs said:
No you clearly pointed to the size of Cancellara's legs as evidence of hypertrophy from off the bike training and this was the basis of his TT ability.

Just one significant factor that allows Cancellara the ability to generate greater forces.

fergs said:
OTOH I have shown evidence that CNS is very specific and Dr Coggan has suggested that it is so specific that activity in one muscle fiber has no effect on that fibres neighbours.

In terms of hip & knee extension based activities?.

Including cycling, deadlifting, squatting etc?.

fergs said:
And your still confusing strength with power. Strength is the maximum weight you can lift. Relative strength is your strength/body weight.

Far from it.

What you can't explain is how Meares and Guo are stronger but Pendelton is better. -fergs-

Better (positive power-to-weight ratio); Relative strength. -Chapps-

fergs said:
We have provided pretty good evidence that cycling (even sprinting) is not a strength limited sport. Reviewing a riders SRM file from a 200m sprint or 250m standing start will show you that strength is not a factor in the same way it is to weightlifter, Javelin thrower or gymnast.

Correct. You still have to turn the pedals.

Chapeau! said:
Unfortunately for you, relative strength has already been proven by the scientific community to determine the fact that it's a basic fundamental for increased athletic performance.

Reference for that? Peer review of course seeing you claim it's from the scientific community.

In terms of hip & knee extension based activities?.

Including cycling, deadlifting, squatting etc?.

Yes, I posted a study that showed a difference in muscle activity between a Sumo and a normal Deadlift. I have yet to see a study that shows a transfer of learning from a non specific activity to a specific activity or any complementary (supplemental) benefit of combining specific and non specific training in fact many show a negative effect.

roadhouse said:
Me race Doc C.? I did say dominate, didn't I (but with the help of a tow rope).

No, I have yet to receive any powercranks so that is my excuse! :D Puleeze, he'd smear me across creation in no time flat. That offer stood BEFORE I knew he was a US Road Cycling Champ (thanks fergie), when I thought of him as just a behind the desk, coke bottled glasses, skinny, nerdy doc type, not some pro elite racer.:eek:

Doods got some serious backing to his name.

Your offer to decline the offer post 'knowledge' is declined.

You know Andy's popped off a 51min ride for 25miles and did so by producing -2.3 watts using his 'knees of Zeus'? If memory serves me well he used mainly 53x11. Ye Gods.

Hope the training is going well.

fergs said:
Reference for that? Peer review of course seeing you claim it's from the scientific community.

I can't use Google scholar anymore or the search engine. You have heavily critisized me for it.

But...

Study up on Newton's second law of motion.

second1.GIF

second2.GIF

second3.GIF

second4.GIF

second5.GIF

second6.GIF

fergs said:
Yes, I posted a study that showed a difference in muscle activity between a Sumo and a normal Deadlift. I have yet to see a study that shows a transfer of learning from a non specific activity to a specific activity or any complementary (supplemental) benefit of combining specific and non specific training in fact many show a negative effect.

Training the sumo deadlift/(same muscle groups), is non specific training to the conventional deadlift. Think again.

The sumo deadlift places GREATER emphasis (strength) on some muscle groups over that of the conventional deadlift. What do we see?. The ability to pull more weight from a conventional deadlift due to the greater activation of key muscle groups enhanced from the sumo deadlift.

Why not look towards the pinnacle of sport for results, not studies?.

Chapeau! said:
I can't use Google scholar anymore or the search engine. You have heavily critisized me for it.

And rightly so, no self respecting coach would just look at abstracts or rely on any of the **** that posted to the web.

But...

Study up on Newton's second law of motion.

second1.GIF

second2.GIF

second3.GIF

second4.GIF

second5.GIF

second6.GIF

Just push harder on the pedals. Ha ha why didn't coaches think of that. Well done chaps you have started a revolution. Pity about exponential rise in energy use and oxygen use that will limit the duration of said exercise. Like "recycling strength" a beautiful theory ruined by an ugly fact.

Training the sumo deadlift/(same muscle groups), is non specific training to the conventional deadlift. Think again.

Only thinking I had to do was to assess how good a study it was showing that they are two different movements involving different muscle groups let alone fibres.

The sumo deadlift places GREATER emphasis (strength) on some muscle groups over that of the conventional deadlift. What do we see?. The ability to pull more weight from a conventional deadlift due to the greater activation of key muscle groups enhanced from the sumo deadlift.

Ha ha still caught in the "more muscle" delusion.

Why not look towards the pinnacle of sport for results, not studies?.

At least I know how the Elite and World Class train (inc the 5 riders I coach in the top 15 in various UCI events). You are guessing:cool:

That's why you are the Amateur Armchair Troll.

fergs said:
And rightly so, no self respecting coach would just look at abstracts or rely on any of the **** that posted to the web.

Which includes all the top experts in there respective professions?.

fergs said:
Just push harder on the pedals. Pity about exponential rise in energy use and oxygen use that will limit the duration of said exercise.

Not through adaptation/neural adaptation & increasing athletic performance.

fergs said:
Like "recycling strength" a beautiful theory ruined by an ugly fact.

Heard of overload?

fergs said:
Only thinking I had to do was to assess how good a study it was showing that they are two different movements involving different muscle groups let alone fibres.

VERY WRONG!.

Please state for me the different muscle groups used for the 2 lifts?.

YOU CAN'T!. They both use the ALL the same muscle groups.

fergs said:
Ha ha still caught in the "more muscle" delusion.

The more muscle/strength you use for any given action, the easier that action becomes (Lifting).

Seems your the delusion one.

fergs said:
At least I know how the Elite and World Class train (inc the 5 riders I coach in the top 15 in various UCI events). You are guessing:cool:

Oh right, so there is a world outside of studies which can be relied upon as evidence that provide support for some training elements?.

Chapeau! said:
Not through adaptation/neural adaptation & increasing athletic performance.

Ha ha, and by what mechanism do you propose that a stronger neural drive is going to reduce the oxygen and energy cost of exercise.

Heard of overload?

Why yes, it's covered in many good research papers. Did you learn about it in Ex Phys for Dummies?

Please state for me the different muscle groups used for the 2 lifts?.

YOU CAN'T!. They both use the ALL the same muscle groups.

Francisco et al 2002 said:
Overall EMG activity from the vastus medialis, vastus lateralis, and tibialis anterior were significantly greater in the sumo deadlift, whereas overall EMG activity from the medial gastrocnemius was significantly greater in the conventional deadlift.

The more muscle/strength you use for any given action, the easier that action becomes (Lifting).

Ha ha again you confuse strength with power.

Oh right, so there is a world outside of studies which can be relied upon as evidence that provide support for some training elements?.

No, people come to me because of my personality, good looks and amazing physique.

fergs said:
Ha ha, and by what mechanism do you propose that a stronger neural drive is going to reduce the oxygen and energy cost of exercise.

Repetition & overload enhance the duration of any given exercise. Any rises in energy and oxygen use, the body will adapt.

fergs said:
Why yes, it's covered in many good research papers. Did you learn about it in Ex Phys for Dummies?

Well side-stepped.

Win.

Francisco et al 2002 said:
Overall EMG activity from the vastus medialis, vastus lateralis, and tibialis anterior were significantly greater in the sumo deadlift, whereas overall EMG activity from the medial gastrocnemius was significantly greater in the conventional deadlift.

In no way does that state both variations of the DL use different muscle groups. They use the EXACT same muscle groups, some are just activated more than others due to the movement.

fergs said:
Ha ha again you confuse strength with power.

Please abbreviate. We was referring to the sumo/conventional deadlift.

Thankyou?.

fergs said:
No, people come to me because of my personality, good looks and amazing physique.

Exactly!.

Some training elements can't be relied upon by a study for evidence that provide support for an increase or decrease in performance.