pealling push up push down

Chapeau! said:
The more muscle/strength you use for any given action, the easier that action becomes (Lifting).

Ha ha contradict yourself much. The harder you work the easier it is. That's your best yet.

You should give up armchair trolling and become a comedian.

Why have coaches never thought of that before, just try harder:D

Andy, want to beat Alberto, just try harder!

Anna, want to beat Vic, just try harder!

Brad, want to beat Fabian, just try harder!

Predicting Opinion Based Coaching is going to have a HUGE year with that little pearl of wisdom!

fergie said:
Ha ha contradict yourself much. The harder you work the easier it is. That's your best yet.

You should give up armchair trolling and become a comedian.

Why have coaches never thought of that before, just try harder:D

Andy, want to beat Alberto, just try harder!

Anna, want to beat Vic, just try harder!

Brad, want to beat Fabian, just try harder!

Predicting Opinion Based Coaching is going to have a HUGE year with that little pearl of wisdom!

baffled.png

Chapeau! said:

Back to Google Search aye.

Ha ha just read that Mark Twight piece. Biggest load of horse sh1t I ever read. Reminded me of why I study and stick to peer review.

Just sending out some training programmes. All I said was "JUST TRY HARDER"!

:D:D:D

fergie said:
Beginning, end and the bits in between.

Goes to show with Google Search you can find any tripe to support your argument.

Thankyou for the rant.

Now for the examples? (I have found one).

You?.

Chapeau! said:
From someone unwilling/who can't back-up there statements.

Thats exactly what you are.

No I'm a Professional. But you couldn't pay me enough to read that drivel again.

But good to know where amateurs get their info from. Clients of Opinion Based Coaching must be so relieved.

Let us know when you have some real support for your nonsense.

fergie said:
No I'm a Professional. But you couldn't pay me enough to read that drivel again.

But good to know where amateurs get their info from. Clients of Opinion Based Coaching must be so relieved.

Let us know when you have some real support for your nonsense.

The whole article revolves around Newton's second law of motion, which also relates to bicycle locomotion.

And your examples of where the article is wrong?.

Chapeau! said:
Top boxers can't throw a great jab or hook unless they train it.

Stay focused here - the article is discussing cycling. You're back to comparing grapes and grapefruit again...

fergie said:
Beginning, end and the bits in between. Can see why he provides no references and doesn't list his qualifications.

Goes to show with Google Search you can find any tripe to support your argument.

... and the bits where he does slightly go into detail basically shoots Chapeau in the as$

Most successful mountain climbers and those indigenous to the mountains are relatively small in stature with efficient rather than large musculature. In my prime speed climbing period I weighed 148lbs (5'9") and was able to gain 4000'/hour on foot. At 165lbs the best I could manage (on foot) was 3400'/hour and this pace was achieved following an 18-month period during which I consciously shed upper body mass, shifting muscle and energy supply to my legs. Then, after coaxing the muscle from my legs back to my upper body while maintaining 165 pounds I lost approximately 8% of my ability to gain altitude, falling back to 2900-3000'/hour. I was faster when I was lighter and I could still carry a pack and pull almost twice my bodyweight on the lat pull machine. My fitness was very sport-specific, which is to say that I was imbalanced, and weak in areas not applicable to climbing. I could only bench press 65% of my weight, I could not do dips, and though I had pretty abs I had no genuine core strength.

During 2003-04 I modified diet and training, aiming for better balance. Although I dropped to 152 pounds, I can easily bench my weight, clean and jerk more than bodyweight, deadlift more than twice my weight, do more than 20 (strict) pull-ups, and gain more than 3500'/hour. I have found a better balance. Each athlete must find an acceptable compromise power/weight ratio that does not cost him dearly in during any particular task.

So you want to be a better mountain climber... you go climb mountains - you don't hit the weight room because you go slower.

You want to be a better (faster) road cyclist you go and ride the bike...

Strange concept.

Funny that core strength is almost seemingly not needed in something as arduous as mountain climbing... Makes you wonder why it's needed when you spend most of the time on the bike resting your behind on a comfy saddle.

Chaps, care to google something about that for me?

tonyzackery said:
Book excerpt: The biomechanics of pedaling, from Andy Pruitt

More food for thought without actual and/or objective evidence that any of this theory is true and correct...but hey, he got photos (among others, I'm sure) of himself looking at Andy Schleck on a bike with Bjarne Riis in attendance so that should be worth some extra book sales...

The study by Broker was only published as an abstract in MSSE. Would like to have a good look at the data before I draw any conclusions. Broker does summarise it in the chapter he wrote in High-Tech Cycling but this is not peer-review and like Pruitt's book I think a little bit of opinion has slipped in. One leg pedal drills, must have been fixing a cuppa when they ran the one leg races at World Champs:p(edit: all due respect to the Para riders, but for them, one leg pedalling isn't a drill, it's just training).

Chapeau! said:
No I'm not.

I'm talking about human movement, muscle memory & neural adaptation.

LOL! So let's just toss pitchin' horseshoes, brushing my teeth, and throwing darts into the ring as well - it's all the same, right? - "human movement, muscle memory & neural adaptation"...LOL! Chappy, you're always good for a laugh - thanks...:D

tonyzackery said:
LOL! So let's just toss pitchin' horseshoes, brushing my teeth, and throwing darts into the ring as well - it's all the same, right? - "human movement, muscle memory & neural adaptation"...LOL! Chappy, you're always good for a laugh - thanks...:D

So let's just toss pitchin' horseshoes, brushing my teeth, throwing darts, Pulling Up on the Backstroke into the ring as well - it's all the same, right? - "human movement, muscle memory & neural adaptation"...LOL! Chappy, you're always good for a laugh - thanks...

Correct Tones.

You become more efficient in movement through training. Yeah, I can see the funny side too. NOT!.

swamps said:
So you want to be a better mountain climber... you go climb mountains - you don't hit the weight room because you go slower.

Did you even read the article?. And his beneficial experiences with increasing relative strength?.

If he tells you something, don't dismiss it & think of him as a liar.

He has realised certain exercises in the gym have beneficial effects on his performance, which can't be made from climbing alone.

To quote, "My fitness was very sport-specific, which is to say that I was imbalanced, and weak in areas not applicable to climbing".

"Each athlete must find an acceptable compromise power/weight ratio that does not cost him dearly in during any particular task".

swamps said:
You want to be a better (faster) road cyclist you go and ride the bike...

Read above.

swamps said:
Funny that core strength is almost seemingly not needed in something as arduous as mountain climbing... Makes you wonder why it's needed when you spend most of the time on the bike resting your behind on a comfy saddle.

Because the muscles in the core contract before the extremities (legs). I don't want to be weak at the generator.

Chapeau! said:
You learn the movement you train. Yeah, I can see the funny side too. NOT!.

LOL! So pray tell what/where are the boxers "pulling up on the backstroke" before throwing their jab??? How is training that "pulling up on the backstroke" gonna help create that "great jab"?? Your analogies kill me and make for fantastic comedy...:D Thanks again...end.

Chapeau! said:
Did you even read the article?. And his beneficial experiences with increasing relative strength?.

If he tells you something, don't dismiss it & think of him as a liar.

He has realised certain exercises in the gym have beneficial effects on his performance, which can't be made from climbing alone.

To quote, "My fitness was very sport-specific, which is to say that I was imbalanced, and weak in areas not applicable to climbing".

"Each athlete must find an acceptable compromise power/weight ratio that does not cost him dearly in during any particular task".

But when his 'markers' for performance were given in terms of specific climbing metrics then the only thing that matters if you compete is that metric. It doesn't matter if he couldn't do pull-ups worth a damn... Personally, I can't remember then last time I had to do a pull-up in order to do a routine task but I can remember then last time that 4+w/kg for an extended time got me shelled on a climb.

He specifically stated that did a whole variety of strength related work and climbed worse. If his metric is climbing then that strength training made him worse...

... but if he feels the need to do his 20 strict pull-ups after climbing 8000ft then good for him. Pitty that those guys who could hold the 4000ft per hour that he used to would already be walking down the hill by the time he got to the top.

If you've ever ridden hard on a hill that's 7%+ for more than 10km then you'll 'get it'.