pealling push up push down

alienator said:
Which vaseline: the skin cream or the petroleum jelly? There's a big difference between the two when it comes to rolling resistance and aftertaste.
Aftertaste ? That's not what I use it for.

The more vasoline you put on your helmet, legs, arms, bike, that's what will cut through the wind. After some long and grueling tests, I estimated that velocity { v = u + at } will improve by 25% when vasoline is applied correctly. One small 'slip' in the wrong spot however can be fatal.

Chapeau! said:
Also strengthening the traps will give you greater pulling ability when climbing & stronger arms don't get as tired.

Yes !! Exactly. I'm mainly looking for that pulling ability when I go over a sewer cover or a big hole in the road. I'll be able to bunnyhop that mothaf*cka.

Chapeau! said:
His best climbing rate (4000'/hour) was found when he decreased bodymass. In terms of relative strength, this relates to (POSITIVE increase in power-to-weight ratio). Positive relative strength.

No... his best climbing rate was achieved before he was silly enough to step foot inside a gym.

Gman - in order to further reduce mass and increase the surface area for application of vaseline you need some Speedos and a rubber swim 'hat'...

... if anything you'll get noone riding next to you in a crit. ;)

Unless someone rides over to you and says "Hi there big boy..." :eek:

swamps said:
Who cares?

Do you think that Contador thinks "well fark me, I wish I could do two hundred pushups after the stage with 50lb weight attached to my tadger" when riding up mountains? No, he doesn't. He's just thinking about Riis' program and dropping Schleck Jr on the hills next year.

Why would Contador want too increase hypertrophy or perform 200 push-ups?. :confused:. You've lost me.

Contador (130 lb's) is the definition of relative strength; (positive power 400+ watts-to- (130lb) weight ratio.

gman said:
Yes !! Exactly. I'm mainly looking for that pulling ability when I go over a sewer cover or a big hole in the road. I'll be able to bunnyhop that mothaf*cka.

You pull when you climb hills.

swamps said:
No... his best climbing rate was achieved before he was silly enough to step foot inside a gym.

CORRECT!.

A fool for developing hypertrophy in the gym & not developing relative strength in the gym.

Yaayyyyyyy!. Finally.

:)

0.jpg

Lamar Gant wants too compete in the 132lb weight class in powerlifting. Hes always lifting weights, increasing strength (NOT FOR HYPERTROPHY). Why not?. He won't be allowed to compete in the 132lb weight class.

Lamar Gant is the definition of relative strength; (positive power 5x bodyweight deadlift-to-(132lb) weight ratio.

racing+weight.jpg

swampy1970 said:

Gman - in order to further reduce mass and increase the surface area for application of vaseline you need some Speedos and a rubber swim 'hat'...

... if anything you'll get noone riding next to you in a crit. ;)

Unless someone rides over to you and says "Hi there big boy..." :eek:

I saw a guy burn to death along time ago and now I have another disturbing image burned into my mind.

gman0482 said:
When else do you pull ??

I've read that both Armstrong and Hinault pushed on their bars. Hinault would also say that your hands should be relaxed as if ready to play the piano...

... and they weren't too bad at stuff like going up hills and time trials.

I remember back in 86 after doing a couple of events watching the time trial shown on the beginning of this clip and seeing Hinault ride. It was a true WTF moment. 12 sprocket up hill, down hill... didn't matter where he was, big ring, little sprocket.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1_BdRoOxYY"]YouTube - 1986 Tour de France - Part 2[/ame]

Awesome X infinity = Hinault

It's a pity that Tours are no longer that interesting...

:D

Fergs still throwing his weight behind his, "25 years behind the times" coaching program over on the cyclingnews forum; Leg strength URL

LOL.

CoachFergie @ CyclingNews said:
Yawn! Got any real evidence for why strength training improves better performance at riding a bike than <pause for effect> riding a bike

Try asking Lance Armstrong, Victoria Pendleton, Chris Hoy, Anna Meares, Fabian Cancellara, Shanaze Reade, Tony Martin etc etc etc ie. some the fastest sprinters, top TT'ers & arguably one of the greatest endurance cyclists of all time, they might tell you.

Afterall, there is a force factor involved in cycling.

CoachFergie @ CyclingNews said:
It was reported that pre cancer that Lance would do weights post Tour de France and most of the reported weight training and video footage was after his first retirement.

Wrong!.

Peter Park (personal trainer) has been helping Armstrong for more than a decade.

Peter Park said:
"Lance is a great athlete but when we started working together, his body was very imbalanced," recalls Peter. "Having a balanced body is important as it allows you to be more fluid and avoid injury. From all of his cycling, his quads were significantly more developed than his hips, for example. I had Lance do a lot of weights and targeted exercises to work out the parts of his body that weren’t getting used as much when he was on his bike."

Lance Armstrong's trainer reveals his tips

Come on fergs, keep up old "knowledgeable" one.

I will try get back onto cyclingnews for the debate.

Don't hold me to that though, lol... I've been banned 6 times due the "Clinic" board & the hotly contested debates on Armstrong & his "speculatory" doping practices.

I know who I won't be putting my money on at the 2011 UCI Track Cycling World Championships in the Netherlands?. NZ.

But hold me to that fergs.

Proof will be in the pudding.

Chapeau, of course you're right that it's all about strength developed in the gym.....it's just common sense that the harder you can push, the faster you can go. But the fact is that you're talking about a well-kept secret. If Fergie and other high-level coaches admitted to training their athletes with weights in the gym, the secret would be out and their advantage would be lost.

So, no matter how many videos and quotes you post proving your point, they will have to continue to deny the obvious. Despite your extensive and laudible efforts to educate the coaches on this forum (469 posts in your first month), you need to accept that they'll never publicly admit to the truths you've so plainly revealed.

Chapeau! said:
I know who I won't be putting my money on at the 2011 UCI Track Cycling World Championships in the Netherlands?. NZ.

But hold me to that fergs.

Proof will be in the pudding.

In the pudding, aye? I wonder if the just banned Adam Stewart thought that EPO stood for Extra Pudding Option?

swampy1970 said:
In the pudding, aye? I wonder if the just banned Adam Stewart thought that EPO stood for Extra Pudding Option?

I'm really looking forward to seeing what NZ can do at the upcoming Commonwealth Games in Delhi.

I wonder if this was a desperate attempt from fergs to get his "riders upto speed" with the rest of the world.

Wouldn't suprise me. :D

An earlier contributor made the point that for greatest efficiency, the force must always be applied at right-angles to the crank. Easy to say, difficult to achieve, but you turn the cranks, you don't push and pull them.

If you have near you an old fashioned carpenter who has a whet-stone (about 3'0" (90 cm) diameter and driven by a hand-crank, ask him if you can turn it while he sharpens his chisels and plane-irons. A ten-minute whirl will give you the idea. Change hands at 99 though!

Another factor is that the further you put the saddle back, the more the ham-strings come into play - without you even trying. And try riding lower gears on fixed, choose a gear that just provides resistance.

Experimentation is a wonderful friend.:D

John (77 going on 15)

John Knees said:
An earlier contributor made the point that for greatest efficiency, the force must always be applied at right-angles to the crank. Easy to say, difficult to achieve, but you turn the cranks, you don't push and pull them.

If you have near you an old fashioned carpenter who has a whet-stone (about 3'0" (90 cm) diameter and driven by a hand-crank, ask him if you can turn it while he sharpens his chisels and plane-irons. A ten-minute whirl will give you the idea. Change hands at 99 though!

You are forgetting that unlike the hands/arms, the legs are not capable of applying the same torque around the pedalling circle and this inequality causes a balancing effect between muscles resulting in weaker power application around 3 o'c which happens to be the most effective area of the pedalling circle. When you use a pair of hand cranks at max power output, do you double the max power output of single handed cranking?

Anyone know what happened to the "Leg strength & cycling" thread.

Ohh yes, thats right... 

Silly me.

Chapeau:

Whomever you are quoting, they are incorrect: none of the subjects in Hickson et al. were trained cyclists (although several untrained individuals did transition into that study after completing another training study, in which they pedaled an ergometer for 1 h/d, 3 d/wk, for 12 wk).

Originally Posted by Chapeau! .

Anyone know what happened to the "Leg strength & cycling" thread.

Ohh yes, thats right...

Silly me.
There are many 1,000's of threads that haven't been imported yet, if you can't find something it's hopefully on its way.

Which quote are you referring too?.

Originally Posted by acoggan .

Chapeau:

Whomever you are quoting, they are incorrect: none of the subjects in Hickson et al. were trained cyclists (although several untrained individuals did transition into that study after completing another training study, in which they pedaled an ergometer for 1 h/d, 3 d/wk, for 12 wk).