peanut allergy

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Phyllis Stone, Mar 19, 2006.

  1. A new son in law will be visiting from England for the first time and he
    has a peanut allergy. I would rather not kill him right now so would be
    grateful for any help. I know the obvious, but is there anything to look
    out for on the labels? What oil can I cook with instead of peanut oil? He
    wants catfish and hushpuppies so I need something to cook high heat. Would
    black eyed peas be in the nut allergy category? I did Google this but it
    wasn't real helpful.

    Tags:

  2. Phyllis Stone wrote on 19 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > A new son in law will be visiting from England for the first time and
    > he has a peanut allergy. I would rather not kill him right now so
    > would be grateful for any help. I know the obvious, but is there
    > anything to look out for on the labels? What oil can I cook with
    > instead of peanut oil? He wants catfish and hushpuppies so I need
    > something to cook high heat. Would black eyed peas be in the nut
    > allergy category? I did Google this but it wasn't real helpful.

    Your best bet is to ask him these questions as I'm sure he doesn't want you
    to kill him either. Canola oil works at fairly high heat. In N. America it
    says if peanuts might be present on the label... i. e. one of the machines
    used in making the product processed peanuts at one time or another and was
    cleaned but there might still be a trace peanut residue.You might see if
    British Label state this as well...As labeling policies vary from Country
    to country as does allergies. In N America peanut Allergies are not
    uncommon...In S America they are rarely an Issue...I'm not sure about in
    the UK.

    --
    -Alan

  3. Lefty

    Lefty Guest

    I just googled "peanut allergy" and there are any number of allergy
    organizations that would be authoritative about your questions. Willingness
    to help notwithstanding, any ng is not a good place to get such important
    advice because it is often very difficult to separate knowledge from opinion
    or merely guessing. Those allergy-based medical pages often have excellent
    search provisions.

    You could always ask your son-in-law for his input just to avoid any
    problems.

    Lefty
    --
    Life is for learning
    "Phyllis Stone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > A new son in law will be visiting from England for the first time and he
    > has a peanut allergy. I would rather not kill him right now so would be
    > grateful for any help. I know the obvious, but is there anything to look
    > out for on the labels? What oil can I cook with instead of peanut oil? He
    > wants catfish and hushpuppies so I need something to cook high heat.

    Would
    > black eyed peas be in the nut allergy category? I did Google this but it
    > wasn't real helpful.

  4. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Phyllis Stone wrote:
    > A new son in law will be visiting from England for the first time and he
    > has a peanut allergy. I would rather not kill him right now so would be
    > grateful for any help. I know the obvious, but is there anything to look
    > out for on the labels? What oil can I cook with instead of peanut oil? He
    > wants catfish and hushpuppies so I need something to cook high heat. Would
    > black eyed peas be in the nut allergy category? I did Google this but it
    > wasn't real helpful.

    If you use refined peanut oil, it is not an allergy risk.

    Since I don't expect you to trust me about the peanut oil, you can use
    Crisco solid vegetable shortening. It works well at high heat.

    Best regards,
    Bob

  5. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Phyllis Stone wrote:
    > A new son in law will be visiting from England for the first time
    > and he has a peanut allergy. I would rather not kill him right now
    > so would be grateful for any help. I know the obvious, but is there
    > anything to look out for on the labels? What oil can I cook with
    > instead of peanut oil? He wants catfish and hushpuppies so I need
    > something to cook high heat. Would black eyed peas be in the nut
    > allergy category? I did Google this but it wasn't real helpful.

    Pretty simple in terms of oils - use corn or pure vegetable oil. It can
    tolerate temps high enough to fry catfish and hushpuppies. Blackeyed peas
    are not "nuts", but then again neither are peanuts; they are legumes. Best
    bet is to ask your son in law what he can and cannot eat. He's probably
    sure to know.

    Jill

  6. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Phyllis Stone wrote:
    > A new son in law will be visiting from England for the first time and he
    > has a peanut allergy. I would rather not kill him right now so would be
    > grateful for any help. I know the obvious, but is there anything to look
    > out for on the labels? What oil can I cook with instead of peanut oil? He
    > wants catfish and hushpuppies so I need something to cook high heat. Would
    > black eyed peas be in the nut allergy category? I did Google this but it
    > wasn't real helpful.

    It's a totally individualized reaction. Some people cross-react with
    tree and other nuts, soya and other legumes, others do not.

    Discuss with him his situation, and go from there.

    -L.