Peanut Butter

LindaNo1 said:
No-one's mentioned peanut butter for a while, so I thought I would! :D

Mmm, mmm, peanut butter.

Place a teaspoon of peanut butter on your tongue and see how long it takes to dissolve.

For those of you that don't like eating it.......(you freaks!)

[size=+1]Feed large globs of it to your dog for cheap entertainment.

Even better, put a glob of it on your dog's back. Hours of fun.

[/size]

Grasshopper - Seek some Crunchy PB, a big dollop of Marmite / Vegemite, some chilli sauce, crushed garlic and wasabi and you, too, shall know PB Nirvana. Aaaah, Master!

BudT said:
The ideal food- portable protein and tasty at that :p
Except that a huuuuuge number of people are deathly alergic to it. I'm surprised they still offer pbj sandwiches on charity ride lunch stops.

wiredued said:
I like it slightly melted on warm whole wheat toast.:cool:
With salad cream. It gives it that perfect vinegary tang and helps to embellish the consistency. PBSC (pronounced 'pubsk') - a dream on a plate! :D:D

Except that a huuuuuge number of people are deathly alergic to it. I'm surprised they still offer pbj sandwiches on charity ride lunch stops.
I think it is a stretch to say it is a "huuuuuge number". It is true that about 1% of the population has an allergy to peanuts, but only about 4% of those (or one out of 2500 people) have serious reactions to peanuts. There are only 125 fatal allergic reactions to food in the US each year. Most of those fatal allergic reactions are not caused by peanuts.

Only about one-half of the people who report an allergic reaction to peanuts are actually found to be allergic to peanuts when they are tested. Most people who claim to have had an allergic reaction to peanuts never bother to get tested.

It is true that the incidence of allergy to peanuts is increasing, but it still is not a "huuuuuge number". Interestingly, exposure to soy protein, especially in infancy, increases the risk of developing an allergy to peanuts.

RickF said:
I think it is a stretch to say it is a "huuuuuge number". It is true that about 1% of the population has an allergy to peanuts, but only about 4% of those (or one out of 2500 people) have serious reactions to peanuts. There are only 125 fatal allergic reactions to food in the US each year. Most of those fatal allergic reactions are not caused by peanuts.
Ahh, sorry, I was going by my fiancee, who is allergic, and she told me that the percentage is much higher than you stated. I've not seen any official numbers though, so I don't know.

I do know that it's a big enough deal that things made with peanuts, or even made on equipment that processes peanut products, must be labelled as such, at least in Canada, if not the US too. Most of her family is allergic to peanuts, so I'm wondering if we ever have kids whether or not that will be inherited.

The silver lining of this is that because of her allergy, I discovered almond butter, which is much, much yummier than peanut butter.

cydewaze said:
I do know that it's a big enough deal that things made with peanuts, or even made on equipment that processes peanut products, must be labelled as such, at least in Canada, if not the US too. Most of her family is allergic to peanuts, so I'm wondering if we ever have kids whether or not that will be inherited.
It's a sad state of legal affairs when peanut butter needs a warning on the label stating that it may contain peanuts.

artmichalek said:
It's a sad state of legal affairs when peanut butter needs a warning on the label stating that it may contain peanuts.
WARNING: Life poses a serious risk of death. Be careful.

I'm not sure what the exact figure is yet. I'm assuming it's close to 100% but it's too early to tell. :D

because of her allergy, I discovered almond butter
More people are allergic to tree nuts than peanuts, but as your fiancee proves, cross-allergy between peanuts and tree nuts only occurs in about one-fourth of the people who are allergic to one or the other.

Allergies do tend to be inherited. Also, as I mentioned above exposure to soy in infancy (as in soy-based infant formula) dramatically increases the risk of developing an allergy to peanuts. My wife is allergic to peanuts, but she did not develop the allergy until she was over 50. So far, none of our three children have any food allergies, but they are still in their 20's, so it could happen later in life.

wheelist said:
WARNING: Life poses a serious risk of death. Be careful.

I'm not sure what the exact figure is yet. I'm assuming it's close to 100% but it's too early to tell. :D
Correct, it is nearly 100% but, reportedly, some people with life are still alive, so we have to wait and see what happens to them. Back to the News Room...

Certainly, many people are allergic to many things. The allergy to peanuts can be quite scary. Even getting a reaction from someone who has been eating them breathing on you!

I, myself, have always eaten nuts and ate pnb throughout both my pregnancies. My son doesn't like crunchy, but likes the extra smooth stuff, whereas my daughter loves the extra crunchy, but doesn't like the smooth version! :confused:

Peanuts and the like haven't been banned from their schools, but I have heard that they have been banned at another school in the area due to a pupil having said allergy.

LindaNo1 said:
No-one's mentioned peanut butter for a while...
we always celebrate Peanut Butter on the official Cyclingforums.com Peanut Butter Day which is 17th of October. (or the nearest Saturday to that date)..

i'll wait till then if thats okay..

MountainPro said:
we always celebrate Peanut Butter on the official Cyclingforums.com Peanut Butter Day which is 17th of October. (or the nearest Saturday to that date)..

i'll wait till then if thats okay..

Sure! I better get that date in my diary! What's planned ... ?

LindaNo1 said:
Sure! I better get that date in my diary! What's planned ... ?
well, all the lads come round to watch the footy, we all get drunk and then its off to a strip bar..