Peanut Butter

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by Threshold, May 11, 2010.

1. Threshold

Threshold New Member

What are you thoughts on Peanut Butter? Is this a good choice of fuel? If so... when should it be eaten?

Reason I ask is because I just recently started taking it to give it a try to see if it helps out in any way. Usually after a ride (within 30 min), I usually drink the recommended serving size of Monster Milk. I had this laying around from when I used to left heavy weights, so I figured I'd go through this before buying something new. I started taking it last summer and the improvement in performance was amazing. So I started taking it again at the start of this season to try to finish the container and it doesn't seem to have the same impact as before. So this week, what I started to do is take my protein shake and then have about 2 - 3 tablespoons of Peanut Butter.

Thank You.

Tags:

2. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

Isn't peanut butter pretty high in fat?

3. cyberlegend1994

cyberlegend1994 Moderator

Skippy makes a reduced-fat version.

Regular Skippy has 16g of fat per serving, 25% of your recommended daily value. The reduced-fat version has 12g of fat per serving, 18% of your RDV. This likely comes from the natural oils in the peanuts. No difference in fat between the regular and super-chunk versions, however, the super chunk versions are slightly lighter in sodium than their creamy counterparts.

My source

4. Threshold

Threshold New Member

That's actually the one that I use... Skippy reduced-fat. I tried the all-natural peanut butter made by Smuckers where you pretty much need to stir it everytime you open the bottle cause all the oil makes its way to the top and it never settled well with my stomach. I tried a few times and it just made me sick everytime.

Don't we need a little bit of fat in our diet anyway?

5. jflongo

jflongo New Member

I hope this helps, here is an article I read on beginnertriathlete.com.

Peanut Butter: A Super Sports Food

6. jflongo

jflongo New Member

You can read the article I just linked about the oil. They recommend that you store the jar upside down. That way all the oil goes to the bottom, then when you go to eat it, you flip it over, open it, and it's only peanut butter you are getting.

7. Threshold

Threshold New Member

I'm so happy that I posted up this thread about Peanut Butter... that link has pretty much all the information that you need to know about Peanut Butter and why it is good for an athlete in training.

Thank You.

8. KStony

KStony New Member

I've tried other brands of the all-natural stuff too and it does the same with the oil moving to the top. I think this should sit WELL with your stomach. I mean it is weird to me too because its not what I grew up with. But I think of what unnecessary additives are in the non-natural variety, and the hydrogenated oils make it a no deal for me.

9. jflongo

jflongo New Member

Read what I said above about storing the Natural Peanut Butter upside down.

10. john gault

john gault New Member

I've done numerous long-distance hikes on the Appalachian Trail and never go without PB. And on the trail you do NOT mess with low calorie/ low fat crap. You need all you can get since food rationing is a must, so when resupplying in town everyone is always looking for foods high in fat/calories and PB is one of the best.

11. Threshold

Threshold New Member

And another great thing is that it can pretty much be eaten with anything and tastes Mmmmm so good!!!!

12. serra

serra New Member

I tend to look for foods that are high in calories, mostly from carbs, and have a bit of fat as well. PB/banana sandwiches are amazing. I seriously doubt there's "too much" fat in peanut butter, especially if you eat it after long rides. You need something to refuel.

13. Threshold

Threshold New Member

Yeah... I've actually really been getting in the habit of eating about 2 - 3 tablespoons of it right when I get in the house. I would make a little meal out of it but by the time I actually get home, I just want to eat it... :cool:

All fruits I think go very well with PB but my favories are banana and PB sandwich like you mentioned, apples dipped in PB, and pears... Yummy. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it now... haha.

14. serra

serra New Member

Ah, I have to go get apples now! :p

15. decca234uk

decca234uk New Member

Great thread. I've learned a lot from it. I never knew the jar upside down trick. That's how I'll store mine from now on.

16. slyjackson

slyjackson New Member

How about just pouring the oil out? why keep it?:eek:

17. john gault

john gault New Member

I don't worry about that oily mess; I just mix it back into the PB. I would never pour it out, the oil (fat) is too important an ingredient. A hardworking body needs at least 30% fat. All this talk about anti-fat diets are just hollywood-style BS diets for people that just want a picture-perfect body and not really concerned with real health.

The fact that it is liquified means that most of it is the healthy fat as opposed to the saturated fat that requires more heat to become fluid.

18. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

So people do spend thousands on bikes and eat what is essentially lard in a jar mixed in with peanuts in the belief that it's good for you...

I'm sure there's some logic in there somewhere.

19. serra

serra New Member

John gault is right, saturated fats tend to like to stay solid. Healthy fats are necessary for everyone, but for some reason people think if you eat fat, you will become fat, which is a bit ridiculous, akin to saying if you eat meat, you'll grow muscle, or turn into a loaf of bread from eating carbs.
    Check this out The Healthy Diet for Cyclists (or Anybody)
    Obviously peanut butter isn't the healthiest thing in the world, but it's a lot healthier than a burger and fries and half the other stuff we eat.

20. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Eating peanut butter because "you like it" is one thing - and a perfectly valid point for chowing down on the stuff. Eating it because it's proclaimed as "healthy"? Well, I guess you'll be following the next fad diet that some quack somewhere wrote...

Why ruin a perfectly good thing - just eat the raw, unprocessed, peanut. I prefer peanuts to sunflower seeds when watching baseball but both pale compared to pistachios.

Nothing wrong with a burger made from lean ground sirloin, grilled to perfection and chipped potatoes fried in cranola oil with the excess oil removed after cooking :p But McD's... fark that sh1t.