Peanut Butter

Well Peanut butter contains lots of fats. It is made up of rich roasted groundnuts. As for health benefits its fat content in peanut butter reduce the risk of heart disease.

nwilliams said:
Well Peanut butter contains lots of fats. It is made up of rich roasted groundnuts. As for health benefits its fat content in peanut butter reduce the risk of heart disease.
I recall a disturbing mention in some book or other (The Paleo Diet for Athletes, perhaps?) which stated that peanuts contain a fatty acid which is so conducive to clogged arteries that they feed it to rabbits which are being used in atherosclerosis studies. The information suggested that it's more complicated than just getting the ratio of saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated fats correct.

There's almond butter in grocery stores anyway.

swampy1970 said:
Eating peanut butter because "you like it" is one thing - and a perfectly valid point for chowing down on the stuff. Eating it because it's proclaimed as "healthy"? Well, I guess you'll be following the next fad diet that some quack somewhere wrote...

Why ruin a perfectly good thing - just eat the raw, unprocessed, peanut. I prefer peanuts to sunflower seeds when watching baseball but both pale compared to pistachios.
That's a lot of crunching. I seriously doubt you take a lot of nutrition out of a peanut by grinding it up provided the oil is protected from oxidation.

Or, how about boiled peanuts? Cooking is one of the things which enabled our species to evolve large, fuel hungry brains because it made nutrients more bioavailable and we didn't have to spend all our time and energy chewing, gathering, and digesting. While the situation isn't so grim with modern food crops like peanuts, cooking may still render them easier to digest, important when you're on a bike.

swampy1970 said:
Eating peanut butter because "you like it" is one thing - and a perfectly valid point for chowing down on the stuff. Eating it because it's proclaimed as "healthy"? Well, I guess you'll be following the next fad diet that some quack somewhere wrote...

Why ruin a perfectly good thing - just eat the raw, unprocessed, peanut. I prefer peanuts to sunflower seeds when watching baseball but both pale compared to pistachios.

Nothing wrong with a burger made from lean ground sirloin, grilled to perfection and chipped potatoes fried in cranola oil with the excess oil removed after cooking :p But McD's... fark that sh1t.

I wasn't suggesting to eat it because it was healthier than raw peanuts, in fact I try to eat raw food over processed food as often as I can. My point was that it is not unhealthy.
Haha, I agree with you on the burgers. A real burger isn't bad for you, but the **** at fastfood places isn't even meat, it's some sort of mysterious space goo. :eek:

nwilliams said:

When you're riding as much as most people do on this forum you really don't need to be that worried about heart disease. Keeping a reasonably balanced diet that provides a nice mix of carbs, fats and proteins and the appropriate calorific content then you'll do just fine...

... but as for eating 50% of your daily fat content in a mere 3 tsb, nah... count me out of that one.

Threshold said:
What are you thoughts on Peanut Butter? Is this a good choice of fuel? If so... when should it be eaten?

Reason I ask is because I just recently started taking it to give it a try to see if it helps out in any way. Usually after a ride (within 30 min), I usually drink the recommended serving size of Monster Milk. I had this laying around from when I used to left heavy weights, so I figured I'd go through this before buying something new. I started taking it last summer and the improvement in performance was amazing. So I started taking it again at the start of this season to try to finish the container and it doesn't seem to have the same impact as before. So this week, what I started to do is take my protein shake and then have about 2 - 3 tablespoons of Peanut Butter.

Thank You.

Peanut butter is good for health take 2-3 spoons in regular use,you get protein from peanut butter,and this is good for health, I think you tried it.

quoted from Harvard health publications:

"Peanut butter also gives you some fiber, some vitamins and minerals (including potassium), and other nutrients. Unsalted peanut butter has a terrific potassium-to-sodium ratio, which counters the harmful cardiovascular effects of sodium surplus. And even salted peanut butter still has about twice as much potassium as sodium.

Numerous studies have shown that people who regularly include nuts or peanut butter in their diets are less likely to develop heart disease or type 2 diabetes than those who rarely eat nuts. Although it is possible that nut eaters are somehow different from, and healthier than, non-nut eaters, it is more likely that nuts themselves have a lot to do with these benefits."

I love Peanut Butter :D