peanuts & cholestrol

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Henry Kolesnik, Dec 6, 2005.

  1. Three years ago I had to stop taking Lipitor because of incredible memory
    loss and unbearable severe muscle cramping. Since then I followed a good
    diet of with little fat except for eating about 1/2 pound of salted peanuts
    in the shell which I estimate gets me about 1/4 pound of peanuts and a
    couple of beers. I'm about 6' 4", 195 lbs in good shape, and general ride
    bike 12 to 20 miles every few days when the weather is good.
    For breakfast I have oatmeal with 1/2 cup 2% milk fruit and an ounce of
    walnuts, half banana, 3 strawberries or blue berries on top, cranberry juice
    and green tea. Lunch is 3 to 4 oz poached salmon, 1 1/2 cup fresh veggies
    with a little Smart Balance and salad greens with a couple tbsp of dressing
    like Green Goddess. Dinner varies from a bowl of soup to a burger, fish,
    veggies or a salad. My cholesterol went up gone up.
    Total 239
    LDL 176
    HDL 49
    TRIG 71

    Then I tried Antara 130 mg for a month and the results are below.
    Total 214
    HDL 53
    LDL 150
    TRIG 56

    My wife has a pamphlet from ACOG on cholesterol that recommends a low fat
    diet and has two columns. One suggest foot items to Choose More Often and
    the other Choose Less Often and din the latter column I see all the known
    such red meat eggs, etc and included are peanut butter, peanuts, nuts and
    seeds.
    I've googled looking for negative info on peanuts but find nothing, however
    I'm curious if anyone knows if peanuts can be the culprit.
    tnx
    Hank

    Tags:

  2. TC

    TC Guest

    Actually it is your low-fat high-carb diet that is screwing things up
    for you. Try a low carb diet and watch in amazement as your cholesterol
    problems disappear within a matter of a few months.

    TC

    Henry Kolesnik wrote:
    > Three years ago I had to stop taking Lipitor because of incredible memory
    > loss and unbearable severe muscle cramping. Since then I followed a good
    > diet of with little fat except for eating about 1/2 pound of salted peanuts
    > in the shell which I estimate gets me about 1/4 pound of peanuts and a
    > couple of beers. I'm about 6' 4", 195 lbs in good shape, and general ride
    > bike 12 to 20 miles every few days when the weather is good.
    > For breakfast I have oatmeal with 1/2 cup 2% milk fruit and an ounce of
    > walnuts, half banana, 3 strawberries or blue berries on top, cranberry juice
    > and green tea. Lunch is 3 to 4 oz poached salmon, 1 1/2 cup fresh veggies
    > with a little Smart Balance and salad greens with a couple tbsp of dressing
    > like Green Goddess. Dinner varies from a bowl of soup to a burger, fish,
    > veggies or a salad. My cholesterol went up gone up.
    > Total 239
    > LDL 176
    > HDL 49
    > TRIG 71
    >
    > Then I tried Antara 130 mg for a month and the results are below.
    > Total 214
    > HDL 53
    > LDL 150
    > TRIG 56
    >
    > My wife has a pamphlet from ACOG on cholesterol that recommends a low fat
    > diet and has two columns. One suggest foot items to Choose More Often and
    > the other Choose Less Often and din the latter column I see all the known
    > such red meat eggs, etc and included are peanut butter, peanuts, nuts and
    > seeds.
    > I've googled looking for negative info on peanuts but find nothing, however
    > I'm curious if anyone knows if peanuts can be the culprit.
    > tnx
    > Hank

  3. Del Cecchi

    Del Cecchi Guest

    Henry Kolesnik wrote:
    > Three years ago I had to stop taking Lipitor because of incredible memory
    > loss and unbearable severe muscle cramping. Since then I followed a good
    > diet of with little fat except for eating about 1/2 pound of salted peanuts
    > in the shell which I estimate gets me about 1/4 pound of peanuts and a
    > couple of beers. I'm about 6' 4", 195 lbs in good shape, and general ride
    > bike 12 to 20 miles every few days when the weather is good.
    > For breakfast I have oatmeal with 1/2 cup 2% milk fruit and an ounce of
    > walnuts, half banana, 3 strawberries or blue berries on top, cranberry juice
    > and green tea. Lunch is 3 to 4 oz poached salmon, 1 1/2 cup fresh veggies
    > with a little Smart Balance and salad greens with a couple tbsp of dressing
    > like Green Goddess. Dinner varies from a bowl of soup to a burger, fish,
    > veggies or a salad. My cholesterol went up gone up.
    > Total 239
    > LDL 176
    > HDL 49
    > TRIG 71
    >
    > Then I tried Antara 130 mg for a month and the results are below.
    > Total 214
    > HDL 53
    > LDL 150
    > TRIG 56
    >
    > My wife has a pamphlet from ACOG on cholesterol that recommends a low fat
    > diet and has two columns. One suggest foot items to Choose More Often and
    > the other Choose Less Often and din the latter column I see all the known
    > such red meat eggs, etc and included are peanut butter, peanuts, nuts and
    > seeds.
    > I've googled looking for negative info on peanuts but find nothing, however
    > I'm curious if anyone knows if peanuts can be the culprit.
    > tnx
    > Hank

    There is a lot of fat in peanuts. And peanuts are not nuts either.
    according to http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-A00001-01c018H.html
    there are 15g fat (2g sat. fat) in 1oz/28 grams of peanuts. If you eat
    4 oz that is 60 g fat. Isn't that the whole day's allowance?

    If you are eating full fat dressing that is another 10 or 20 grams of
    fat. And it is easy to get more than 2T on a salad if you just pour it.
    And is "couple of beers" really two or is it 3 or 4?

    But a lot of it is genetic.

    --
    Del Cecchi
    "This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,

  4. montygram

    montygram Guest

    Peanuts can be very atherogenic, but I would be pleased with your test
    numbers. However, you need to be worried about those lipids getting
    oxidized. As AHA spokesman Dr. Richard Stein said recently, and has
    been known for several years now by experts, it is only oxidized
    cholesterol that is dangerous. Otherwise, your number would be great.
    I got my cholesterol up from 131 to 209, for example. Low cholesterol
    means a much higher cancer risk, but oxidized cholesterol is very bad
    too. The easy solution is to avoid oxidized cholesterol, meaning boil
    meat and eggs, don't cook whole milk dairy at all, and don't use any
    source of fat that is high in unsaturated fatty acids, which are much
    more susceptible to free radical degradation. It will take a while for
    the "mainstream" to catch up with the experts, Dr. Stein, and others
    who understand the underlying science, but now you do too. However,
    even Ancel Keys noted that mortality is lowest is those whose
    cholesterol levels are between 200 and 220, though he was unaware of
    the role of oxidized cholesterol, which means that a bit higher is
    okay, as long as it is not oxidized.

    Any questions, feel free to ask. Also, you can search this group for
    montygram and read my posts for more details.

  5. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    "TC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Actually it is your low-fat high-carb diet that is screwing things up
    > for you. Try a low carb diet and watch in amazement as your
    > cholesterol
    > problems disappear within a matter of a few months.

    Groan, more TC BS!

  6. fresh~horses

    fresh~horses Guest

    TC wrote:
    > Actually it is your low-fat high-carb diet that is screwing things up
    > for you. Try a low carb diet and watch in amazement as your cholesterol
    > problems disappear within a matter of a few months.
    >
    > TC

    He doesn't HAVE any cholesterol problems TC. He should employ
    recommended dietary modifications (Mediterranean Diet) to raise his
    HDL.

    You can take your MET syndrome template and spooge everyone into it.

    > Henry Kolesnik wrote:
    > > Three years ago I had to stop taking Lipitor because of incredible memory
    > > loss and unbearable severe muscle cramping. Since then I followed a good
    > > diet of with little fat except for eating about 1/2 pound of salted peanuts
    > > in the shell which I estimate gets me about 1/4 pound of peanuts and a
    > > couple of beers. I'm about 6' 4", 195 lbs in good shape, and general ride
    > > bike 12 to 20 miles every few days when the weather is good.
    > > For breakfast I have oatmeal with 1/2 cup 2% milk fruit and an ounce of
    > > walnuts, half banana, 3 strawberries or blue berries on top, cranberry juice
    > > and green tea. Lunch is 3 to 4 oz poached salmon, 1 1/2 cup fresh veggies
    > > with a little Smart Balance and salad greens with a couple tbsp of dressing
    > > like Green Goddess. Dinner varies from a bowl of soup to a burger, fish,
    > > veggies or a salad. My cholesterol went up gone up.
    > > Total 239
    > > LDL 176
    > > HDL 49
    > > TRIG 71
    > >
    > > Then I tried Antara 130 mg for a month and the results are below.
    > > Total 214
    > > HDL 53
    > > LDL 150
    > > TRIG 56
    > >
    > > My wife has a pamphlet from ACOG on cholesterol that recommends a low fat
    > > diet and has two columns. One suggest foot items to Choose More Often and
    > > the other Choose Less Often and din the latter column I see all the known
    > > such red meat eggs, etc and included are peanut butter, peanuts, nuts and
    > > seeds.
    > > I've googled looking for negative info on peanuts but find nothing, however
    > > I'm curious if anyone knows if peanuts can be the culprit.
    > > tnx
    > > Hank

  7. Very interesting article..
    I guess I need to reduce carbs and up proteins...
    I don't think I need to increase fats but I do need to cut back on it and
    peanuts..
    I'd like to lose about 7 pounds so a small calorie reduction would be easily
    accomplished by just cutting back on peanuts.
    Now to find some protein additions that I like and have no bad side effects,
    beans?
    Out of curiosity has anyone ever seen blood work on Eskimos who thrive on
    meat and blubber?
    Hank
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > To add to what TC said read this:
    >
    > http://www.spiked-online.com/Printable/0000000CAE78.htm
    >
    > Your best bet is to cut your total calories farther.
    >
    > Arbor

  8. fresh~horses

    fresh~horses Guest

    Henry Kolesnik wrote:
    > Very interesting article..
    > I guess I need to reduce carbs and up proteins...
    > I don't think I need to increase fats but I do need to cut back on it and
    > peanuts..
    > I'd like to lose about 7 pounds so a small calorie reduction would be easily
    > accomplished by just cutting back on peanuts.
    > Now to find some protein additions that I like and have no bad side effects,
    > beans?
    > Out of curiosity has anyone ever seen blood work on Eskimos who thrive on
    > meat and blubber?
    > Hank

    The Inuit do not now eat much whale meat and muktuk.

  9. "fresh~horses" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Henry Kolesnik wrote:
    >> Very interesting article..
    >> I guess I need to reduce carbs and up proteins...
    >> I don't think I need to increase fats but I do need to cut back on it and
    >> peanuts..
    >> I'd like to lose about 7 pounds so a small calorie reduction would be easily
    >> accomplished by just cutting back on peanuts.
    >> Now to find some protein additions that I like and have no bad side effects,
    >> beans?
    >> Out of curiosity has anyone ever seen blood work on Eskimos who thrive on
    >> meat and blubber?
    >> Hank

    >The Inuit do not now eat much whale meat and muktuk.

    Oh?

    Here in Barrow there are roughly 3000 Eskimos... who catch 22
    bowhead whales each year. They like 35 to 45 footers, and a
    bowhead's dead weight is about a ton per foot. Hence it is
    probably about 80,000 pounds times 22... and if only 50% of
    that is edible (the bones in a bowhead whale are *huge*), that
    works out to 22 times 40,000 pounds divided by 3000 divided by
    365 to give 0.8 pounds *per day* for *every* Eskimo man woman
    and child in Barrow!

    Now, can you imagine what the number is for people in Kaktovik
    for example? The difference is that there actually is a
    "grocery" store in Barrow, and it is 3-400 miles to the nearest
    one in Katktovik!

    Thats a *lot* of whale meat! (It is good stuff, but the numbers
    are mind boggling.)

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) [email protected]

  10. fresh~horses

    fresh~horses Guest

    The rules are different in other countries. Alas, we don't all keep
    time to the drummer fronting Uncle Sam.

  11. fresh~horses

    fresh~horses Guest

    Henry Kolesnik wrote:
    > Very interesting article..
    > I guess I need to reduce carbs and up proteins...

    You do that with your lifestyle and you'll be in a lot of trouble.
    That's not you. You need mega carbs. There's really not a lot wrong
    with your numbers, but to increase you HDL, add olive oil, nuts and
    seeds, fishoil capsules, and make sure the fish you eat is oily fish.
    Eat good quality red meat rarely; eat eggs...they are an excellent
    source of protein. Ask about taking niacin if you really think you want
    to "take" something to modify your lifestyle.

    Soy will lower protein; and a soy/fruit/yogurt shake with lots of
    berries, a banana & added flaxseed will fuel that ride. Keep one-third
    to half to drink for recovery.

    http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4655

  12. "fresh~horses" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >The rules are different in other countries. Alas, we don't all keep
    >time to the drummer fronting Uncle Sam.

    How does your statement relate to the article you responded to?
    Or the thread itself?

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) [email protected]

  13. fresh~horses

    fresh~horses Guest

    fresh~horses wrote:
    > Henry Kolesnik wrote:
    > > Very interesting article..
    > > I guess I need to reduce carbs and up proteins...

    > You do that with your lifestyle and you'll be in a lot of trouble.
    > That's not you. You need mega carbs. There's really not a lot wrong
    > with your numbers, but to increase you HDL, add olive oil, nuts and
    > seeds, fishoil capsules, and make sure the fish you eat is oily fish.
    > Eat good quality red meat rarely; eat eggs...they are an excellent
    > source of protein. Ask about taking niacin if you really think you want
    > to "take" something to modify your lifestyle.
    >
    > Soy will lower protein*; and a soy/fruit/yogurt shake with lots of
    > berries, a banana & added flaxseed will fuel that ride. Keep one-third
    > to half to drink for recovery.
    >
    > http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4655

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Correction:

    Soy will lower cholesterol.

    and:

    Niacin can raise HDL, lower triglycerides and apparently, eventually
    lower LDL too (if you really want to take something...). Discuss that
    with your physician, and google. Gary the cyclist on sci.med.cardiology
    for his experience with niacin.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    > > I don't think I need to increase fats but I do need to cut back on it and
    > > peanuts..
    > > I'd like to lose about 7 pounds so a small calorie reduction would be easily
    > > accomplished by just cutting back on peanuts.
    > > Now to find some protein additions that I like and have no bad side effects,
    > > beans?
    > > Out of curiosity has anyone ever seen blood work on Eskimos who thrive on
    > > meat and blubber?
    > > Hank
    > > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > To add to what TC said read this:
    > > >
    > > > http://www.spiked-online.com/Printable/0000000CAE78.htm
    > > >
    > > > Your best bet is to cut your total calories farther.
    > > >
    > > > Arbor

  14. Hank,
    You wrote:
    >Since then I followed a good diet of with little fat except for eating about 1/2 pound of salted peanuts in the shell which >I estimate gets me about 1/4 pound of peanuts and a couple of beers.

    Do you eat the peanuts and their shells? Do you mean the kind that is
    sold all over the US, has two kernels, and pretty rough shell? Do you
    boil them the way folks in the South like them or the regular
    store-bought roasted peanuts?

    Arbor

  15. Arbor
    I buy a 5 pound bag of roasted and salted in the shell at Sams Club. No, I
    don't eat the shells. As I think I said I get a bowl of about 1/2 lb and
    as I eat them the shells fill another bowl the same size to the same level.
    I've heard of them boiled but never had an opportunity to try them. I don't
    like them raw or unsalted. Quality and taste are very variable between bags
    and brands. Whenever a particular brand seems to get real good they go down
    hill or the store carries another brand. The best one that I haven't seen
    in years was a mostly yellow bag with Gobbers in big letters but I always
    look and never see them.
    Yesterday I bought some salted, roasted soybeans, they're OK but not as
    tasty or addictive and some salted in the shell pumpkin seeds. I'll bet
    I've reduce my calories by 75%.

    Hank WD5JFR