Pearl AmFIB Lobster Glove?

dgk

Guest
Do I just bite the bullet and buy these for $60? I mean, my fingers
freeze in cold weather.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...and=&sku=12405&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

Or perhaps the Nashbar Lobster Mitt for $30? Seems like the stated
imitation.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...rand=&sku=5363&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

The electric gloves that I bought are actually pretty good (if I can
find them - different thread) again, but only the palm is heated and
that isn't my problem. I end up riding with my fingers in the palms
and the fingers hanging over the handlebars.

I have grip shifts so I really could just do with mittens.

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:18:59 -0500, dgk
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Do I just bite the bullet and buy these for $60? I mean, my fingers
>freeze in cold weather.
>
>http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...and=&sku=12405&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=
>
>Or perhaps the Nashbar Lobster Mitt for $30? Seems like the stated
>imitation.
>
>http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...rand=&sku=5363&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=
>

>The electric gloves that I bought are actually pretty good (if I can
>find them - different thread) again, but only the palm is heated and
>that isn't my problem. I end up riding with my fingers in the palms
>and the fingers hanging over the handlebars.
>
>I have grip shifts so I really could just do with mittens.

Are these PA the same? They're $20 cheaper:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=15813

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Do I just bite the bullet and buy these for $60? I mean, my fingers
>freeze in cold weather.

Lobster gloves are the business in weather down to around -5 Celsius.
It never gets much colder than that around here, so I can't say below
that.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

"dgk" wrote ...
> Do I just bite the bullet and buy these for $60? I mean, my fingers
> freeze in cold weather.
>
> Or perhaps the Nashbar Lobster Mitt for $30? Seems like the stated
> imitation.
>

> The electric gloves that I bought are actually pretty good (if I can
> find them - different thread) again, but only the palm is heated and
> that isn't my problem. I end up riding with my fingers in the palms
> and the fingers hanging over the handlebars.
>
> I have grip shifts so I really could just do with mittens.

The Pearl Izumi Lobster Glove is awfully good. Mine were adequate for a ride
home in -20 deg F temperatures last winter (-29 deg C for metric people).

I suspect that the Nashbar Lobster Mitt is not going to last nearly as long
as the PI item, nor would I expect it to be as comfortable.

When my Lobster Mitts finally fell apart last spring, I replaced them with
P-I's new 3-fingered offering, which puts the first two fingers in
individual finger wrappings, and puts the ring and pinky fingers together to
keep them warm. Definitely offers more dexterity than the original Lobster,
nice for unlocking the bike, etc., but more expensive and (I expect) no
warmer than the original Lobster.
--
mark

I've used the PI Lobster for a decade. And they are the same pair! That
works out to around $5 a year and they are still in good shape. Initial
cost and final cost are not always the same thing,

dgk wrote:
> Do I just bite the bullet and buy these for $60? I mean, my fingers
> freeze in cold weather.
>
> http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...and=&sku=12405&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=
>
> Or perhaps the Nashbar Lobster Mitt for $30? Seems like the stated
> imitation.
>
> http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...rand=&sku=5363&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=
>

> The electric gloves that I bought are actually pretty good (if I can
> find them - different thread) again, but only the palm is heated and
> that isn't my problem. I end up riding with my fingers in the palms
> and the fingers hanging over the handlebars.
>
> I have grip shifts so I really could just do with mittens.

I just got the Nashbar imitations yesterday, and rode in with them today
(at 20F, half an hour, little wind). My fingertips were cool, not cold
like they were yesterday at 27F in ordinary winter bike gloves (is there
such a thing, with that many qualifiers?). I have Campy Ergo brifters
instead of grip shifts. I had to retrain myself just a bit -- I usually
shift with my middle finger to downshift, but had to change to the index
finger. No problems with braking or upshifting. And of course they're
on sale for $10 off right now. I'd recommend them for cold weather.

But of course, that assumes you already have tights, windproof jacket,
something warm under the jacket, and either a balaclava or cap and scarf
on your head and throat.

That was the coldest I've cycled in. I think I could go down another 10
degrees for as long as I could ride with a warmer middle layer on my
torso and something to cut the wind on my feet.

Pat

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:35:30 -0600, Pat Lamb
<[email protected]> wrote:

>dgk wrote:
>> Do I just bite the bullet and buy these for $60? I mean, my fingers
>> freeze in cold weather.
>>
>> http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...and=&sku=12405&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=
>>
>> Or perhaps the Nashbar Lobster Mitt for $30? Seems like the stated
>> imitation.
>>
>> http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...rand=&sku=5363&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=
>>

>> The electric gloves that I bought are actually pretty good (if I can
>> find them - different thread) again, but only the palm is heated and
>> that isn't my problem. I end up riding with my fingers in the palms
>> and the fingers hanging over the handlebars.
>>
>> I have grip shifts so I really could just do with mittens.

>I just got the Nashbar imitations yesterday, and rode in with them today
>(at 20F, half an hour, little wind). My fingertips were cool, not cold
>like they were yesterday at 27F in ordinary winter bike gloves (is there
>such a thing, with that many qualifiers?). I have Campy Ergo brifters
>instead of grip shifts. I had to retrain myself just a bit -- I usually
>shift with my middle finger to downshift, but had to change to the index
>finger. No problems with braking or upshifting. And of course they're
>on sale for $10 off right now. I'd recommend them for cold weather.
>
>But of course, that assumes you already have tights, windproof jacket,
>something warm under the jacket, and either a balaclava or cap and scarf
>on your head and throat.
>
>That was the coldest I've cycled in. I think I could go down another 10
>degrees for as long as I could ride with a warmer middle layer on my
>torso and something to cut the wind on my feet.
>
>Pat

I ordered the ones from Performance. I'm not clear on the difference
but I don't live in the Arctic Circle. For $45, plus the polypropylene
liner, they'd best be sufficient for NYC. Now, about the face...

I'm sort of bummed about the battery powered gloves. They should work
but I guess it is too tough to get the heating element into the
fingers. And I don't even need gloves; with grip shifts mittens would
be fine. There should be no problem making this work with mittens. But
there should be a convenient on/off switch. I think I'll look at some
mittens and then visit Radio Shack. I can see my fortune arriving as
we speak. A thin overliner of PVC for optional rain protection and we
have a winner.