Pearl Izumi Optik jacket - anyone tried it?

Syrio Forel

Aug 31, 2006
I almost bought one on impulse today but held off. Steep price ($65) for a really thin shell. Anyone know if it's as windproof as its ads claim? Basically, I'm looking for something for the medium wind during my commute home on cool nights. Thanks for any input.

Syrio Forel said:
I almost bought one on impulse today but held off. Steep price ($65) for a really thin shell. Anyone know if it's as windproof as its ads claim? Basically, I'm looking for something for the medium wind during my commute home on cool nights. Thanks for any input.
Pearl Izumi are a great brand so I would be confident of their claims, I recently considered an Optik but I also needed something that had a close fit (like the optik) is fully water proof (Optik wasn't) ,windproof and breatheable, so I went for one of these instead. Don't think you can get them in the states though.

http://www.jaggad.com/au/product_info.php?cPath=1_27&products_id=40

kleng said:
Pearl Izumi are a great brand so I would be confident of their claims, I recently considered an Optik but I also needed something that had a close fit (like the optik) is fully water proof (Optik wasn't) ,windproof and breatheable, so I went for one of these instead. Don't think you can get them in the states though.

http://www.jaggad.com/au/product_info.php?cPath=1_27&products_id=40
hey Kleng would that jacket beat the Netti Entrant Jacket? how are you finding it?

wcngu1 said:
hey Kleng would that jacket beat the Netti Entrant Jacket? how are you finding it?
From my experience its the best jacket in the Australian market in its price range. I have ridden in heavy downpours and the jacket has kept me perfectly dry, and its still breathable, its also great on cold Melbourne mornings. I usually just wear a jersey underneath and use some thin armwarmers if its super cold.

I like the cycling specific cut and picked a close fitting size (the material has a certain degree of stretch), which wears more like a long sleeve jersey but gives you the complete protection of a jacket. I was really looking for the sleeker racer fit, rather than something that balloons around. The fact you can convert it to a vest as well, means you don't need to double up on the clothing, so its really 2 items in one. It has a single zipped pocket on the back to supplement the jersey pockets.

If you hurry Croydon cycleworks was having a 30% sale on them (rrp 169.00), which would make them much cheaper than the Netti D3 jacket(this is the model you would need to compare it too.)

kleng said:
From my experience its the best jacket in the Australian market in its price range. I have ridden in heavy downpours and the jacket has kept me perfectly dry, and its still breathable, its also great on cold Melbourne mornings. I usually just wear a jersey underneath and use some thin armwarmers if its super cold.

I like the cycling specific cut and picked a close fitting size (the material has a certian degree of stretch), which wears more like a long sleeve jersey but gives you the complete protection of a jacket. I was really looking for the sleeker racer fit, rather than something that balloons around. The fact you can convert it to a vest as well, means you don't need to double up on the clothing, so its really 2 items in one. It has a single zipped pocket on the back to supplement the jersey pockets.

If you hurry Croydon cycleworks was having a 30% sale on them (rrp 169.00), which would make them much cheaper than the Netti D3 jacket(this is the model you would need to compare it too.)
checked out the website and it looks i"M too late haha There seems to be no sale :( oh well.. maybe the Netti D3 jackets will go on sale one day haha

wcngu1 said:
checked out the website and it looks i"M too late haha There seems to be no sale :( oh well.. maybe the Netti D3 jackets will go on sale one day haha
Their website is not always maintained, if you go into the store or call, I'm pretty sure their still running the sale, I just spoke to them on friday.

The problem with going into the store is that you might walk out with a seriously nice Cervelo Soloist SLC-SL or R3 or Trek SSLx instead of a plain old jacket.

kleng said:
Their website is not always maintained, if you go into the store or call, I'm pretty sure their still running the sale, I just spoke to them on friday.

The problem with going into the store is that you might walk out with a seriously nice Cervelo Soloist SLC-SL or R3 or Trek SSLx instead of a plain old jacket.
gave em a call and they are still on sale! woot I"m gonna drive there right now to check em out :D Cervelo soloist? trek SSlx? I really know nohhing about bike gear and a bit of a newbie. Do you recommend any brilliant shorts for comfort before I shoot of on my maiden 30 minute drive to croydon (never been there..)?:eek:

wcngu1 said:
gave em a call and they are still on sale! woot I"m gonna drive there right now to check em out :D Cervelo soloist? trek SSlx? I really know nohhing about bike gear and a bit of a newbie. Do you recommend any brilliant shorts for comfort before I shoot of on my maiden 30 minute drive to croydon (never been there..)?:eek:
I'd check out the Jaggad Intercooler bibknicks seeing there on sale, as a second choice consider the Jagged One Cyclesuit.

When you get to the store, you'll see what I mean about the bikes, some serious bling.

If your looking for tyres the Bicyclesuperstore in Nunawading is have a 25% off tyres sale. Just mention the add in the latest edition of Bicycling Australia.

kleng said:
I'd check out the Jaggad Intercooler bibknicks seeing there on sale, as a second choice consider the Jagged One Cyclesuit.

When you get to the store, you'll see what I mean about the bikes, some serious bling.

If your looking for tyres the Bicyclesuperstore in Nunawading is have a 25% off tyres sale. Just mention the add in the latest edition of Bicycling Australia.
haha I'm picking up my 2006 Giant TCR composite 2 next friday and I"m pretty happy with that lol. Ok I"ll check out the jaggad intercooler bibknicks, sounds practical since they too are on sale. thanks Kleng!! :cool:

wcngu1 said:
haha I'm picking up my 2006 Giant TCR composite 2 next friday and I"m pretty happy with that lol. Ok I"ll check out the jaggad intercooler bibknicks, sounds practical since they too are on sale. thanks Kleng!! :cool:
What pedals did you end up getting ?

kleng said:
Got the Look Keos which came with 4.5 degree cleats. I also bought two 9 degree cleats although I honestly dont' understand the difference. something about float? once again I have no idea what that means haha.

Also ended up buying Sidi Ergo 1 carbon shoes, STradvarius helmet, Specialized arc sunglasses, blackburn rear lights, Cateye front light, Taxc bottle cage, Blackburn carbon pump, Scion Carbon saddlebag. yeah tahts about it now. still need a good saddle and clothing. I plan to get the SKins from skins.com.au in a few months

kleng said:
Apologies to the OP on the partial hijacking of the thread.
Can we now get back to the Optik jacket and it features.

kleng said:
Apologies to the OP on the partial hijacking of the thread.
Can we now get back to the Optik jacket and it features.
No hijacking at all, kleng. i appreciate the feedback and am always glad to learn something new from a related exchange ;-)

Syrio Forel said:
No hijacking at all, kleng. i appreciate the feedback and am always glad to learn something new from a related exchange ;-)
hey syrio I just bought the jacket Kleng was talking about (went there straight after) and its great! bargain for $118 and works as a jacket and a vest. Looks hot too. :D

Syrio Forel said:
Hello

The Optic is not really windproof (should I tell anything about waterproofness?), but I used it with 11°C on flat at 30-35 km/h and short sleeves jersey and it´s still ok.
On fast descends (from >2200m) with moderate temperatures it can become a little cold.
I would go for the Optic only if ligthness and packsize are major issues.
Should it be available where you live, the Jeantex Arles is some stronger (and 50% heavier) but still light (ca.140g) and compact (fits easily it the rear jersey pocket) and costs about the same.
From Scott there are similar options too.

Regards!