Pecan Blue Cheese Crackers

kevnbro

Guest
I recently found this recipe in a small cookbook that shipped with our
fairly new Jenn-Air range.
Thinking it would make a nice Christmas snack, I decided to make them
to share with family during our Christmas visit home.
They are easy and delicious!
It was a convect bake recipe, but without a convection oven, all that
will vary is the baking time.
The recipe also says to mix the butter, blue cheese, yolk and flour by
hand but finding that to be frustrating, I popped it in our food
processor with a steel blade and pulsed it until it formed the nice
dough ball I needed.

Give it a try!

PECAN BLUE CHEESE CRACKERS

11/2 cups pecan halves
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 pound Maytag blue cheese, softened
1 large egg, seperated
1 cup all-purpose flour

In a preheated 325° oven (convect bake if you have) toast 1/2 cup
pecans, about 6 minutes and cool.
Finely chop toasted pecans.
In a bowl with a fork cream butter and blue cheese until smooth.
Add egg yolk, stirring until combined well.
Add flour and chopped pecans and stir until mixture just forms a dough.
Halve dough and on separate sheets of wax paper form each half into a
12 inch by 11/4 inch log, using wax paper as a guide.
Freeze logs, wrapped in wax paper just until firm, about 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350°, lightly grease 2 large sideless baking sheets.
Cut logs crosswise into 1/4 inch thick slices and arrange slices about
1/2 inch apart on baking sheets.
Top each cracker with a remaining pecan half, pressing slightly into
dough.
Brush tops of crackers, including pecans with lightly beaten egg white.
Bake crackers using 2 racks evenly spaced in oven until golden brown,
about 12 minutes total.
With a spatula transfer crackers to paper towels to blot and then to a
rack to cool.
Each log makes about 45 crackers.

"kevnbro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[...]

I have a similar recipe using Stilton and walnuts. They recommend pairing
with a dollop of Port Wine jelly and I made that on the weekend. I plan on
pairing up the two, a tin of biscuits and a jar of jelly, for hostess gifts
this holiday season.

Anita

On 19 Dec 2005 11:17:05 -0800, "kevnbro" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> The recipe also says to mix the butter, blue cheese, yolk and flour by
>hand but finding that to be frustrating, I popped it in our food
>processor with a steel blade and pulsed it until it formed the nice
>dough ball I needed.
>
> Give it a try!
>

>PECAN BLUE CHEESE CRACKERS

I might even try this tonight, but with what I have on hand
(gorgonzola and walnuts).

Thanks.
Sue(tm)

[email protected] (Curly Sue) looking for trouble wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On 19 Dec 2005 11:17:05 -0800, "kevnbro" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> The recipe also says to mix the butter, blue cheese, yolk and flour by
>>hand but finding that to be frustrating, I popped it in our food
>>processor with a steel blade and pulsed it until it formed the nice
>>dough ball I needed.
>>
>> Give it a try!
>>

>>PECAN BLUE CHEESE CRACKERS
>>

> I might even try this tonight, but with what I have on hand
> (gorgonzola and walnuts).
>
> Thanks.
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

I like this recipe. I haven't had good Maytag since someone from this ng
sent it to me a few years back. Maytag is delicious. I think gorgonzola
and walnuts would do well. I only have a small hunk of gorgonzola and I'm
saving it for a Christmas eve cheese ball. I can't believe it, just me,
Steven, the boys and our 5 animals here at home, on Xmas Eve. Gawd, I'm in
heaven. Christmas day is a ***** though. Waaaayyy to much road time. I
think for Xmas Eve it'll be real simple. Cheese ball, other snacks, giant
grilled Porterhouse, horseradish sauce, Brussels sprouts (Josh's fave),
baked potato and maybe a salad if I can find some decent greens. Dessert
will be a fruit flan if I can dig up my recipe for it. I like lots of
snacky stuff on Xmas Eve. These crackers may just make the dif. I gotta
hit Straubs and see if they even carry Maytag. Otherwise I'll sub another
blue cheese.

The seafood place down the street sells fresh, house made Gumbo. I'm gonna
get a gallon of it for soup on Xmas Eve also. They have excellent Gumbo.

Michael

--
....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
final say on what is, or is not, posted.
Send email to dog30 at charter dot net