Peck order

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by amirm, Feb 29, 2004.

  1. amirm

    amirm Guest

    Went on a 120 km ride yesterday. The route was mostly on country road
    in ACT. It was pretty quiet given it was Sunday morning. Although i
    started as a bunch ride, very soon I found myself riding with only on
    fellow rider. So we rode mostly two abreast squeezing to left as muc
    as possible

    I faced three really close calls by a Harly rider and her girlfriend,
    sport motorbiker and a huge Patrol towing a huge horse trailer. Al
    meant that they were not happy with sharing the road. Behaviours of al
    three were equally rude. It's really interesting when morons conside
    themselves as smart! More interesting was the two motorbike riders
    action as they had plenty of room, and cyclists were posed n
    inconvenience to them

    Now the question is: When riding, we seem to be at the bottom of th
    peck order. How many of us exert their status when not riding

    I personally don't let morons at the wheels get away while I'm driving
    But this seems to ruin my driving pleasure, and so I tend not to driv
    recently. This way, I sit again at the bottom of the peck order. No
    that's my conundrum. What's yours

    -

    Tags:

  2. Jock

    Jock Guest

    I don't understand your post or see your point.
    Jock
    "amirm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    | Went on a 120 km ride yesterday. The route was mostly on country roads
    | in ACT. It was pretty quiet given it was Sunday morning. Although it
    | started as a bunch ride, very soon I found myself riding with only one
    | fellow rider. So we rode mostly two abreast squeezing to left as much
    | as possible.
    |
    | I faced three really close calls by a Harly rider and her girlfriend, a
    | sport motorbiker and a huge Patrol towing a huge horse trailer. All
    | meant that they were not happy with sharing the road. Behaviours of all
    | three were equally rude. It's really interesting when morons consider
    | themselves as smart! More interesting was the two motorbike riders'
    | action as they had plenty of room, and cyclists were posed no
    | inconvenience to them.
    |
    | Now the question is: When riding, we seem to be at the bottom of the
    | peck order. How many of us exert their status when not riding?
    |
    | I personally don't let morons at the wheels get away while I'm driving.
    | But this seems to ruin my driving pleasure, and so I tend not to drive
    | recently. This way, I sit again at the bottom of the peck order. Now
    | that's my conundrum. What's yours?
    |

    | --

  3. Bikesoiler

    Bikesoiler Guest

    amirm wrote:
    > <snip> So we rode mostly two abreast squeezing to left as much as
    > possible.
    > I faced three really close calls by a Harly rider and her girlfriend, a
    > sport motorbiker and a huge Patrol towing a huge horse trailer. All
    > meant that they were not happy with sharing the road. Behaviours of all
    > three were equally rude. It's really interesting when morons consider
    > themselves as smart! More interesting was the two motorbike riders'
    > action as they had plenty of room, and cyclists were posed no
    > inconvenience to them.
    > Now the question is: When riding, we seem to be at the bottom of the
    > peck order. How many of us exert their status when not riding?
    > I personally don't let morons at the wheels get away while I'm driving.
    > But this seems to ruin my driving pleasure, and so I tend not to drive
    > recently. This way, I sit again at the bottom of the peck order. Now
    > that's my conundrum. What's yours?

    Hmmm.. I don't think I exert any status while driving. I like to driv
    so that my part in traffic has no negative effect on others, ie kee
    left unless overtaking, care when merging etc. Lead by example. Pitt
    some drivers just don't get it

    Like yesterday, Sunday 29th. Rode out to Kinglake. Twice had abuse
    threats from cars. What is it with St Andrews? 2 white holdens, P plate
    & 3 young male occupants. The second car even locked it's brakes i
    front of me while the passenger hung out the window yelling abuse
    Neither car seemed keen to stop & 'discuss' the issue

    -

  4. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    Always amuses me how friends at a BBQ will complain how trucks harras
    and force them off the road

    "Just like riding a bike when youre driving a car". I said on th
    weekend. "oh, but I dont do that", she said

    "Her kid pipes up, "Yes you do mum. Whatabout that man you almost hi
    yesterday"

    "Oh, god Im sorry" she said "dont be sorry to me, just try to avoi
    having to apologise to that guy's family next time"

    Now, that's a BBQ-stopper!!

    -

  5. In aus.bicycle on Mon, 01 Mar 2004 01:10:00 GMT
    amirm <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Now the question is: When riding, we seem to be at the bottom of the
    > peck order. How many of us exert their status when not riding?

    World;'s full of idiots. Question is... how many people did the right
    thing? If every single vehicle that passed you did the wrong thing,
    then re-appraise how you were riding...

    There will always be people who reckon they are more important than you
    are, it's life.

    If they endanger you, then report them. Doubt the cops will care much
    but if enough do it, and there are multiple reports, then who knows?

    Zebee

  6. D&M Johnston

    D&M Johnston Guest

    I'll bet she was driving either a Volvo (first car that comes to mind) , or
    a 4WD (usual senario)!!

    DJ
    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    > Always amuses me how friends at a BBQ will complain how trucks harrass
    > and force them off the road.
    >
    > "Just like riding a bike when youre driving a car". I said on the
    > weekend. "oh, but I dont do that", she said.
    >
    > "Her kid pipes up, "Yes you do mum. Whatabout that man you almost hit
    > yesterday".
    >
    > "Oh, god Im sorry" she said "dont be sorry to me, just try to avoid
    > having to apologise to that guy's family next time".
    >
    > Now, that's a BBQ-stopper!!!
    >

    > --

  7. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    amirm <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Went on a 120 km ride yesterday. The route was mostly on country roads
    > in ACT. It was pretty quiet given it was Sunday morning. Although it
    > started as a bunch ride, very soon I found myself riding with only one
    > fellow rider. So we rode mostly two abreast squeezing to left as much
    > as possible.

    > I faced three really close calls by a Harly rider and her girlfriend, a
    > sport motorbiker and a huge Patrol towing a huge horse trailer. All
    > meant that they were not happy with sharing the road. Behaviours of all
    > three were equally rude. It's really interesting when morons consider
    > themselves as smart! More interesting was the two motorbike riders'
    > action as they had plenty of room, and cyclists were posed no
    > inconvenience to them.

    > Now the question is: When riding, we seem to be at the bottom of the
    > peck order. How many of us exert their status when not riding?

    > I personally don't let morons at the wheels get away while I'm driving.
    > But this seems to ruin my driving pleasure, and so I tend not to drive
    > recently. This way, I sit again at the bottom of the peck order. Now
    > that's my conundrum. What's yours?

    Well I ride a roadie and an MTB and a motorcycle, and occasionally
    I drive a car. Quite often I walk.

    The only pecking order is non_morons->morons.

    Except that the morons are too thick to see it :)

    --
    Nick

  8. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    Bikesoiler wrote:
    > Hmmm.. I don't think I exert any status while driving. I like to drive
    > so that my part in traffic has no negative effect on others, ie keep
    > left unless overtaking, care when merging etc. Lead by example. Pitty
    > some drivers just don't get it.

    As my psychologist g/f said recently, "there's no point modelling good
    behaviour to idiots". For modelling to work, the person being modelled
    to has to have some level of intrinsic respect or admiration for the one
    doing the modelling.

    &roo

  9. Spider1977

    Spider1977 Guest

    amirm wrote:
    > I personally don't let morons at the wheels get away while I'm driving.

    What does that mean? Do you chase them and abuse them? What doe
    that achieve

    "Don't argue with fools, they have more experience.

    -

  10. stucey

    stucey Guest

    Spider1977 wrote:
    > "Don't argue with fools, they have more experience."

    More experience at what? Argueing?;

    I think the saying is

    "Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level an
    beat you with experience

    But hey

    -

  11. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    D&M Johnston wrote:
    > I'll bet she was driving either a Volvo (first car that comes to mind) ,
    > or a 4WD (usual senario)!!
    > > --

    HaHa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    and the winner is.....

    VOLV

    (driving the kids to school, of course. but that's another thread...

    -

  12. Hitchy

    Hitchy Guest

    wrote:
    > As my psychologist g/f said recently, "there's no point modelling good
    > behaviour to idiots". For modelling to work, the person being modelled
    > to has to have some level of intrinsic respect or admiration for the one
    > doing the modelling.
    > &roo

    G'day,

    Andrew, can you ask the psychologist GF why I rode to work this
    morning?. Its 36c outside & now I'm faced with a 50km commute
    home...into the northerly!(& i knew this before setting out this
    morning!)..........gotta get some head doctorin'

    cheers,

    Hitchy

    --

  13. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    Hitchy wrote:
    > G'day,
    > Andrew, can you ask the psychologist GF why I rode to work this
    > morning?. Its 36c outside & now I'm faced with a 50km commute
    > home...into the northerly!(& i knew this before setting out this
    > morning!)..........gotta get some head doctorin'
    > cheers,
    > Hitchy

    glad Im gonna be sitting there watching the Hawthorn crits this arvo

    The hot commute, eh? I always put in a harde rone in the mornings if it
    gonna be hot and try ('try' meaning not getting sucked in to chasin
    down that guy up ahead) and spin easily hom

    -