Peck order

amirm

Guest
Went on a 120 km ride yesterday. The route was mostly on country road
in ACT. It was pretty quiet given it was Sunday morning. Although i
started as a bunch ride, very soon I found myself riding with only on
fellow rider. So we rode mostly two abreast squeezing to left as muc
as possible

I faced three really close calls by a Harly rider and her girlfriend,
sport motorbiker and a huge Patrol towing a huge horse trailer. Al
meant that they were not happy with sharing the road. Behaviours of al
three were equally rude. It's really interesting when morons conside
themselves as smart! More interesting was the two motorbike riders
action as they had plenty of room, and cyclists were posed n
inconvenience to them

Now the question is: When riding, we seem to be at the bottom of th
peck order. How many of us exert their status when not riding

I personally don't let morons at the wheels get away while I'm driving
But this seems to ruin my driving pleasure, and so I tend not to driv
recently. This way, I sit again at the bottom of the peck order. No
that's my conundrum. What's yours

-

I don't understand your post or see your point.
Jock
news:[email protected]...

amirm wrote:
> <snip> So we rode mostly two abreast squeezing to left as much as
> possible.
> I faced three really close calls by a Harly rider and her girlfriend, a
> sport motorbiker and a huge Patrol towing a huge horse trailer. All
> meant that they were not happy with sharing the road. Behaviours of all
> three were equally rude. It's really interesting when morons consider
> themselves as smart! More interesting was the two motorbike riders'
> action as they had plenty of room, and cyclists were posed no
> inconvenience to them.
> Now the question is: When riding, we seem to be at the bottom of the
> peck order. How many of us exert their status when not riding?
> I personally don't let morons at the wheels get away while I'm driving.
> But this seems to ruin my driving pleasure, and so I tend not to drive
> recently. This way, I sit again at the bottom of the peck order. Now
> that's my conundrum. What's yours?

Hmmm.. I don't think I exert any status while driving. I like to driv
so that my part in traffic has no negative effect on others, ie kee
left unless overtaking, care when merging etc. Lead by example. Pitt
some drivers just don't get it

Like yesterday, Sunday 29th. Rode out to Kinglake. Twice had abuse
threats from cars. What is it with St Andrews? 2 white holdens, P plate
& 3 young male occupants. The second car even locked it's brakes i
front of me while the passenger hung out the window yelling abuse
Neither car seemed keen to stop & 'discuss' the issue

-

Always amuses me how friends at a BBQ will complain how trucks harras
and force them off the road

"Just like riding a bike when youre driving a car". I said on th
weekend. "oh, but I dont do that", she said

"Her kid pipes up, "Yes you do mum. Whatabout that man you almost hi
yesterday"

"Oh, god Im sorry" she said "dont be sorry to me, just try to avoi
having to apologise to that guy's family next time"

Now, that's a BBQ-stopper!!

-

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 01 Mar 2004 01:10:00 GMT
amirm <[email protected]> wrote:

> Now the question is: When riding, we seem to be at the bottom of the
> peck order. How many of us exert their status when not riding?

World;'s full of idiots. Question is... how many people did the right
thing? If every single vehicle that passed you did the wrong thing,
then re-appraise how you were riding...

There will always be people who reckon they are more important than you
are, it's life.

If they endanger you, then report them. Doubt the cops will care much
but if enough do it, and there are multiple reports, then who knows?

Zebee

I'll bet she was driving either a Volvo (first car that comes to mind) , or
a 4WD (usual senario)!!

DJ
"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> Always amuses me how friends at a BBQ will complain how trucks harrass
> and force them off the road.
>
> "Just like riding a bike when youre driving a car". I said on the
> weekend. "oh, but I dont do that", she said.
>
> "Her kid pipes up, "Yes you do mum. Whatabout that man you almost hit
> yesterday".
>
> "Oh, god Im sorry" she said "dont be sorry to me, just try to avoid
> having to apologise to that guy's family next time".
>
> Now, that's a BBQ-stopper!!!
>

> --

amirm <[email protected]> wrote:
> Went on a 120 km ride yesterday. The route was mostly on country roads
> in ACT. It was pretty quiet given it was Sunday morning. Although it
> started as a bunch ride, very soon I found myself riding with only one
> fellow rider. So we rode mostly two abreast squeezing to left as much
> as possible.

> I faced three really close calls by a Harly rider and her girlfriend, a
> sport motorbiker and a huge Patrol towing a huge horse trailer. All
> meant that they were not happy with sharing the road. Behaviours of all
> three were equally rude. It's really interesting when morons consider
> themselves as smart! More interesting was the two motorbike riders'
> action as they had plenty of room, and cyclists were posed no
> inconvenience to them.

> Now the question is: When riding, we seem to be at the bottom of the
> peck order. How many of us exert their status when not riding?

> I personally don't let morons at the wheels get away while I'm driving.
> But this seems to ruin my driving pleasure, and so I tend not to drive
> recently. This way, I sit again at the bottom of the peck order. Now
> that's my conundrum. What's yours?

Well I ride a roadie and an MTB and a motorcycle, and occasionally
I drive a car. Quite often I walk.

The only pecking order is non_morons->morons.

Except that the morons are too thick to see it :)

--
Nick

Bikesoiler wrote:
> Hmmm.. I don't think I exert any status while driving. I like to drive
> so that my part in traffic has no negative effect on others, ie keep
> left unless overtaking, care when merging etc. Lead by example. Pitty
> some drivers just don't get it.

As my psychologist g/f said recently, "there's no point modelling good
behaviour to idiots". For modelling to work, the person being modelled
to has to have some level of intrinsic respect or admiration for the one
doing the modelling.

&roo

amirm wrote:
> I personally don't let morons at the wheels get away while I'm driving.

What does that mean? Do you chase them and abuse them? What doe
that achieve

"Don't argue with fools, they have more experience.

-

Spider1977 wrote:
> "Don't argue with fools, they have more experience."

More experience at what? Argueing?;

I think the saying is

"Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level an
beat you with experience

But hey

-

D&M Johnston wrote:
> I'll bet she was driving either a Volvo (first car that comes to mind) ,
> or a 4WD (usual senario)!!
> > --

HaHa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and the winner is.....

VOLV

(driving the kids to school, of course. but that's another thread...

-

wrote:
> As my psychologist g/f said recently, "there's no point modelling good
> behaviour to idiots". For modelling to work, the person being modelled
> to has to have some level of intrinsic respect or admiration for the one
> doing the modelling.
> &roo

G'day,

Andrew, can you ask the psychologist GF why I rode to work this
morning?. Its 36c outside & now I'm faced with a 50km commute
home...into the northerly!(& i knew this before setting out this
morning!)..........gotta get some head doctorin'

cheers,

Hitchy

--

Hitchy wrote:
> G'day,
> Andrew, can you ask the psychologist GF why I rode to work this
> morning?. Its 36c outside & now I'm faced with a 50km commute
> home...into the northerly!(& i knew this before setting out this
> morning!)..........gotta get some head doctorin'
> cheers,
> Hitchy

glad Im gonna be sitting there watching the Hawthorn crits this arvo

The hot commute, eh? I always put in a harde rone in the mornings if it
gonna be hot and try ('try' meaning not getting sucked in to chasin
down that guy up ahead) and spin easily hom

-