Pedal advice...

Rocket69

Dec 23, 2003
Hi all, I've narrowed down my choices and it's between Look, Time (2007 models), Speedplay or the new DA pedal...

Any feedback regarding these pedals would be appreciated...

Thanks
Rocket

Rocket69 said:
Hi all, I've narrowed down my choices and it's between Look, Time (2007 models), Speedplay or the new DA pedal...

Thanks
Rocket

Search the forum first. This is a common and personal issue with a wide variety of opinions already voiced. I'm a Look guy personally.

In my opinion, the shimano pedals are best. I use ultegra pedals, personally, and love them. They are a little bit wider than look pedals (I think the new DA pedals are even wider), so theres more area to support your foot. They also seem to be a bit stiffer (not sure if thats the best way to describe it) than look pedals, vertically. I mean that look cleats seem to feel like they move up and down a bit, and I don't like that.

From what I've seen, speedplay pedals don't seem to be the most secure pedals. I have seen a lot of people fall off of them when they sprint, and even a few times just from picking up their cadence a bit. My observations tell me not to try them.

As far as time goes, I've never used them, but have never heard anyone complain about the, and have never seen anyone have problems with them. Not a whole lot of people in my area use them though.

I think I'll probably stick with shimano pedals for life, but as someone already stated, pedals are a matter of personal preferance. Just because I love the VERY solid, and stable feel of shimano pedals, doesn't mean you will.

I reckon save your money and get a pair of Ultegras, or 2 pair, or 4 pairs, like I did :)

The stories about Speedplays are hilarious. You'd think from all the stories, they'd have gone out of business years ago as a result of their own incompetence. Well, I guess that pretty much tells you what the internet stories are worth.

Goolllleeee, Homer: every Tom, ****, and Harry saw LA pull out of his Dura Ace pedal on TV. Guess that means DA pedals are ****, eh?

If you want the truth, Look, Time, Speedplay, and Shimano all make fine pedals. Shimanos are--or at least used to be--a design licensed from Look. They generally have better bearings than the Look pedals. Time may have the smaller market share if you think that means something, but they have a loyal following. Speedplay offers lots of float without the recentering action of Looks, Times, and Shimanos. Some people like that. Some don't.

What do you want out of a pedal? How important is float to you?

ToffoIsMe said:
In my opinion, the shimano pedals are best. I use ultegra pedals, personally, and love them. They are a little bit wider than look pedals (I think the new DA pedals are even wider), so theres more area to support your foot.
Even aside from the fact that Keos have a greater contact area than DA pedals, I have a hard time believing this. Maybe if you are Fred Flinstoning it and using your bare feet, you might feel a difference. But modern shoes are so stiff that you cannot feel the diff between SPD pedals and Look style pedals, let alone Look and a Look knockoff like the Shimano pedals.

ToffoIsMe said:
From what I've seen, speedplay pedals don't seem to be the most secure pedals. I have seen a lot of people fall off of them when they sprint, and even a few times just from picking up their cadence a bit.
WTF! Anyone who can "fall off' by increasing their cadence is a moron, and you should think twice about riding behind them or anywhere near them. "Well, no, officer, I have not been drinking. I was tooling around with a cadence of ninety. I increased to ninety-five and just fell off my bike. It had to be the pedals."

I have a couple of issues with Speedplays, which is why I don't use them, but falling off is not one of them.

Bro Deal said:
WTF! Anyone who can "fall off' by increasing their cadence is a moron, and you should think twice about riding behind them or anywhere near them. "Well, no, officer, I have not been drinking. I was tooling around with a cadence of ninety. I increased to ninety-five and just fell off my bike. It had to be the pedals."
By "fall off" I meant they came unclipped from the pedals, not that they fell off the bike, if that is what you thought I was saying.

Your logic says there are a lot of morons in south jersey.

ToffoIsMe said:
By "fall off" I meant they came unclipped from the pedals, not that they fell off the bike, if that is what you thought I was saying.
Unclipping with a minor cadence increase is still weird with any of those brands.

Rocket69 said:

Thanks
Rocket
Without a doubt the undisputable, proven, bar-none, best pedal ever is...

Nahhh, I'm gonna let you decide what you like.