Pedal car (Dino, Berg,Kettler) questions.

"Scott en Aztlán" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Chicago Paddling-Fishing <[email protected]> said in chi.general:
>
>>I think max should post this in alt.amish.plowing for a more meaningful
>>reply...

> Wow, you mean the Amish have found a way to post to USENET without
> computers, Internet access, or electricity? I'm definitely impressed!

Before Electricity, we used to watch TV by candlelight.

It has removed 7348 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

In article <[email protected]>
what does THIS button do? <[email protected]> wrote:
<snip>

> A 60-speed sounds like it might have a bit of torque
> multiplication. :)

There's no point having massive torque if you can't get it on the
ground. So stick a big weight above the drive wheel, then the chain or
the wheel is going to break as soon as you take on some serious snow.
Uprate the wheel and transmission and the frame will break. You might
as well just weld the back end of a motorcycle to the front end of a
tractor and be done with it.

I remember seeing this thing. The track seems quite narrow, so this
could be "bike-skiable" only on well-packed snowmobile trails. It may
sink on a regular nordic trails .

I wonder how many of these they have managed to sell.

WRT to plowing of bike paths - skate-style skiing does require the
width of the whole bike path, unlike classic skiing (which the photos
show).

I liked their FAQ section. "The kit will add approx 5 lb to the weight
of your bike - the weight of a six pack of beer". Apparently, their
target group is snowmobilers - sure, they would know how much a six
pack weighs.

In article <[email protected]>,
"what does THIS button do?" <[email protected]> writes:

> Tautological thoughts like this lead me to imagine a sort of
> pedal-powered bulldozer or tractor thing, which lead me eventually to
> discover these things called pedal cars
>
> <http://www.autoculture.co.uk/Dino%202007.pdf>
> <http://www.kettler.net/articles/20050216194000001126/index.html>
> <http://www.bergtoys.com/skelters.php?categorie=10>
>
> They seem to be popular(?) in europe, but basically non-existant in the
> US. The Dino seems to be the bee's knees (very nice), with a 5-speed +
> reverse gear, 200+ kg payload .... very burly, and quite what i'd
> imagine i'd like to have to push a little V-plow along the trail.

There are also these things:
http://www.rhoadescar.com/jumpshow.htm

and, of course, these infernal :) contraptions:
http://www.beckerarena.com/snowshovel.aspx

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

In chi.general Mike Kruger <[email protected]> wrote:
> what does THIS button do?! wrote:
>> Cydrome Leader wrote:
>>>
>>> Quit *****ing and push a snowblower around. What's the problem here-
>>> clearing snow or doing things the most complicated way possible?

>> Any dope can to things the easy way.
>>

> The OP's coworker has already gotten in trouble with the government for
> plowing this. Governments are always worried about liability. I think part
> of the reason the government relented is due to the novelty of a bicycle
> snowplow.

He got spanked by the feds?

> In addition, the OP's coworker is going to work. Riding a bicycle to work is
> one thing, even with a plow. Pushing a snowblower to work is quite another.

then his buddy is a crybaby who needs to wake up earlier and grab a snow
shovel and get started so he can get to work on time.

In article <[email protected]>,
Cydrome Leader <[email protected]> wrote:

> In chi.general Mike Kruger <[email protected]> wrote:
> > what does THIS button do?! wrote:

> >> Any dope can to things the easy way.
> >>

> > The OP's coworker has already gotten in trouble with the government for
> > plowing this. Governments are always worried about liability. I think part
> > of the reason the government relented is due to the novelty of a bicycle
> > snowplow.

> He got spanked by the feds?
>
> > In addition, the OP's coworker is going to work. Riding a bicycle to work
> > is
> > one thing, even with a plow. Pushing a snowblower to work is quite another.

> then his buddy is a crybaby who needs to wake up earlier and grab a snow
> shovel and get started so he can get to work on time.

actually, we spent about 18 man (ahem, er people)- hours to hand shovel
about half of it a few weeks ago.

In chi.general fluffy bunny <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Cydrome Leader <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > The OP's coworker has already gotten in trouble with the government for
>> > plowing this. Governments are always worried about liability. I think part
>> > of the reason the government relented is due to the novelty of a bicycle
>> > snowplow.

>> He got spanked by the feds?
>>
>> > In addition, the OP's coworker is going to work. Riding a bicycle to work
>> > is
>> > one thing, even with a plow. Pushing a snowblower to work is quite another.

>> then his buddy is a crybaby who needs to wake up earlier and grab a snow
>> shovel and get started so he can get to work on time.

> actually, we spent about 18 man (ahem, er people)- hours to hand shovel
> about half of it a few weeks ago.

So do it again. What's the real problem here? Everything is too hard when
you do it the complicated way?

Big discovery there.

In article <[email protected]>,
fluffy bunny <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Cydrome Leader <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > The OP's coworker has already gotten in trouble with the government for
> > > plowing this. Governments are always worried about liability. I think
> > > part
> > > of the reason the government relented is due to the novelty of a bicycle
> > > snowplow.

> > He got spanked by the feds?
> >
> > > In addition, the OP's coworker is going to work. Riding a bicycle to work
> > > is
> > > one thing, even with a plow. Pushing a snowblower to work is quite
> > > another.

> > then his buddy is a crybaby who needs to wake up earlier and grab a snow
> > shovel and get started so he can get to work on time.

> actually, we spent about 18 man (ahem, er people)- hours to hand shovel
> about half of it a few weeks ago.

how's the trail now?

In chi.general Scott en Aztl?n <[email protected]> wrote:
: Chicago Paddling-Fishing <[email protected]> said in chi.general:

: >I think max should post this in alt.amish.plowing for a more meaningful
: >reply...

: Wow, you mean the Amish have found a way to post to USENET without
: computers, Internet access, or electricity? I'm definitely impressed!
: --
: "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."
: - Jonathan Swift

Um... well, it was sort of a joke, but they did have snow plows for horses
and I think Max could plow it a lot faster on a horse than by hand...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1919-MARTIN-HOR...NSBORO-KY_W0QQitemZ330009352671QQcmdZViewItem

Perhaps Max can build something like this and have Barb sit on it to provide
a bit of weight as Max towed her around the trail...

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page

what does THIS button do? wrote:
[...]
> The main drawback of the bikeplow system is that the bike needs to be
> in front of the plow, towing. Not pushing. In the snow. [...]
> Tautological thoughts like this lead me to imagine a sort of
> pedal-powered bulldozer or tractor thing, which lead me eventually to
> discover these things called pedal cars
>
> <http://www.autoculture.co.uk/Dino%202007.pdf>
> <http://www.kettler.net/articles/20050216194000001126/index.html>
> <http://www.bergtoys.com/skelters.php?categorie=10>

Thank you to everyone for their thoughtful replies. I've come to the
conclusion that, as much fun as it might be to acquire an adult-sized
pedal car, its just not ideal for the job.

Mostly, pedal cars seem to be a bit wider than i'm wanting; i'm trying
to stay at about an 18" wide track. Mostly, i want to stay gage
compatible with the currently extant plowing tech in service. As i
wrote originally: a pedal powered bulldozer (but not necessarily
tracked!)

This leads me into waters i fear to navigate: building something my
self. Atomic Zombie freakbike stuff. Welding! terrors!

I'm envisioning some sort of horror created from several gas-pipe
Huffys. I want at to have at least 2 drive wheels, maybe 3 or 4. I'm
thinking 20" tires or smaller. I would probably significantly ballast
the contraption, likely with snow, improve drive wheel traction. In
general, i'm not fond of a single front wheel solution. I would prefer
a two-wheel front end which will give a better mount for the plow.

I'd be interested in any pointers anyone might have to a torque
_increasing_ derailleur lashup. I'm intending to build something that
will have significantly more torque multiplication than your average
MTB granny gear. If i understand the concept correctly, i'm thinking
of being able to shift down to on the order of 4 gear inches or so.

Such a thing seems pretty simple on paper, but ... i don't know
anything, really.

The Huffy vivisecton i can manage w/o too much trouble, but I'd be very
grateful if anyone has pointers on the high-torque derailleur stuff.

..max

"moving on" was a bad subject...
what does THIS button do? wrote:
> what does THIS button do? wrote:
> [...]
> > The main drawback of the bikeplow system is that the bike needs to be
> > in front of the plow, towing. Not pushing. In the snow. [...]
> > Tautological thoughts like this lead me to imagine a sort of
> > pedal-powered bulldozer or tractor thing, which lead me eventually to
> > discover these things called pedal cars
> >
> > <http://www.autoculture.co.uk/Dino%202007.pdf>
> > <http://www.kettler.net/articles/20050216194000001126/index.html>
> > <http://www.bergtoys.com/skelters.php?categorie=10>

> Thank you to everyone for their thoughtful replies. I've come to the
> conclusion that, as much fun as it might be to acquire an adult-sized
> pedal car, its just not ideal for the job.
>
> Mostly, pedal cars seem to be a bit wider than i'm wanting; i'm trying
> to stay at about an 18" wide track. Mostly, i want to stay gage
> compatible with the currently extant plowing tech in service. As i
> wrote originally: a pedal powered bulldozer (but not necessarily
> tracked!)
>
> This leads me into waters i fear to navigate: building something my
> self. Atomic Zombie freakbike stuff. Welding! terrors!
>
> I'm envisioning some sort of horror created from several gas-pipe
> Huffys. I want at to have at least 2 drive wheels, maybe 3 or 4. I'm
> thinking 20" tires or smaller. I would probably significantly ballast
> the contraption, likely with snow, improve drive wheel traction. In
> general, i'm not fond of a single front wheel solution. I would prefer
> a two-wheel front end which will give a better mount for the plow.
>
> I'd be interested in any pointers anyone might have to a torque
> _increasing_ derailleur lashup. I'm intending to build something that
> will have significantly more torque multiplication than your average
> MTB granny gear. If i understand the concept correctly, i'm thinking
> of being able to shift down to on the order of 4 gear inches or so.
>
> Such a thing seems pretty simple on paper, but ... i don't know
> anything, really.
>
> The Huffy vivisecton i can manage w/o too much trouble, but I'd be very
> grateful if anyone has pointers on the high-torque derailleur stuff.
>
> .max

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> I'm envisioning some sort of horror created from several gas-pipe
> Huffys. I want at to have at least 2 drive wheels,

That's relatively easy if you have the extra wheel behind the regular
drive wheel, although it will affect steering.

> maybe 3 or 4.

That's getting complicated, given your apparent reluctance to do A-Team
engineering.

> I'm thinking 20" tires or smaller.

I don't think wheels under 20" will work well - you'd need a wide tyre
with low pressure to maintain a good contact area, and if the wheel
doesn't slip there would be problems with the tyre shifting on the rim
at high torque.

> I would probably significantly ballast
> the contraption, likely with snow, improve drive wheel traction.
> In
> general, i'm not fond of a single front wheel solution. I would prefer
> a two-wheel front end which will give a better mount for the plow.

I'd agree with both of those points.

> I'd be interested in any pointers anyone might have to a torque
> _increasing_ derailleur lashup. I'm intending to build something that
> will have significantly more torque multiplication than your average
> MTB granny gear. If i understand the concept correctly, i'm thinking
> of being able to shift down to on the order of 4 gear inches or so.
>
> Such a thing seems pretty simple on paper, but ... i don't know
> anything, really.

Say you have a 24 tooth chainring driving a 24 tooth sprocket on a 20
inch wheel - that's 20 gear inches. You could get it down to 5 inches
with two sets of reduction gears each with a 48 tooth and a 24 tooth
sprocket, so that's basically two extra bottom brackets and chainsets
that you need to attach somewhere between the pedals and the hub. You
could achieve the same reduction using a couple of 14-28 freewheels
instead so you'd only need to weld on brackets to hold a couple of hubs,
but the stress on the drive train components will be close to doubled
because of the smaller dimensions. I'm doubtful that a regular wheel is
going to handle the torque anyway - I still reckon it would be better to
use the final drive and rear wheel of a small motorcycle, maybe even the
gearbox too.

In article <[email protected]>,
"what does THIS button do?" <[email protected]> writes:

> I'd be interested in any pointers anyone might have to a torque
> _increasing_ derailleur lashup.

Bicycle wheel axles are /not/ indestructible.
But anyway, the Mountain Tamer[tm] Quad
or Triple might be right up your alley.

> I'm intending to build something that
> will have significantly more torque multiplication than your average
> MTB granny gear. If i understand the concept correctly, i'm thinking
> of being able to shift down to on the order of 4 gear inches or so.
>
> Such a thing seems pretty simple on paper, but ... i don't know
> anything, really.
>
> The Huffy vivisecton i can manage w/o too much trouble, but I'd be very
> grateful if anyone has pointers on the high-torque derailleur stuff.

Just for laffs I Googled on: pedal-powered machinery

Here's the first hit I got:
http://www.velomobiling.com/BicycleMachines

Scroll down to see a pic of something like what you're
interested in.

For plowing snow, I wonder if something designed like
a grader, with a highly articulable blade (rotation and
elevation) positioned mid-vehicle would be more viable?
Such a config would allow you to ballast the front end,
if need be.

The above site also has a link to some sort of
pedal-powered washing machine; I think I'll follow
up on that one.

I haven't looked at any of the other hits yet.

cheers,
Tom