pedal/cleat squeak

gds

Guest
I have a recurring problem with a squeaking caused by the rubbing of my
cleat (Look) and the pedal. Thee problem is only on one side and on
that side an old hip injury results in more foot motion than on the
other.
Small amounts of lubricant work for 20 miles or so but not on longer
rides.
Any suggestions?

>Small amounts of lubricant work for 20 miles or so but not on longer
>rides.
>Any suggestions?

What lubricant are you using?

Back when I ran Looks I would use Soap or Chapstick to prevent squeeking,
but I can't say if it will work any better than what you are already doing.

Good luck!

Chris Neary
[email protected]

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 20:11:47 -0800, Chris Neary <[email protected] >
wrote:

>>Small amounts of lubricant work for 20 miles or so but not on longer
>>rides.
>>Any suggestions?

>What lubricant are you using?
>
>Back when I ran Looks I would use Soap or Chapstick to prevent squeeking,
>but I can't say if it will work any better than what you are already doing.
>
>Good luck!

I'm getting squeaking too, and I'm wondering -where- you put the lube? I
can't tell which part of the pedal or shoe is making the noise. (I'm using
SPD, not Look.)

jj

>Chris Neary
>[email protected]
>
>"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
>you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
>loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

On the Looks I just put a drop of lube in the area that catched the toe
of the cleat. It works fine for ~ an hour of riding but then needs
relubing-which I don't do while riding.

"gds" wrote:

>I have a recurring problem with a squeaking caused by the rubbing of my
> cleat (Look) and the pedal. Thee problem is only on one side and on
> that side an old hip injury results in more foot motion than on the
> other.
> Small amounts of lubricant work for 20 miles or so but not on longer
> rides.
> Any suggestions?

Look has come out with a new (more expensive) cleat that is supposed to
eliminate the squeak problem. It uses teflon inserts.

See:
http://tinyurl.com/3uabe

Art Harris

Arthur Harris wrote:
> "gds" wrote:
>
> >I have a recurring problem with a squeaking caused by the rubbing of

my
> > cleat (Look) and the pedal. Thee problem is only on one side and on
> > that side an old hip injury results in more foot motion than on the
> > other.
> > Small amounts of lubricant work for 20 miles or so but not on

longer
> > rides.
> > Any suggestions?

> Look has come out with a new (more expensive) cleat that is supposed

> eliminate the squeak problem. It uses teflon inserts.
>
> See:
> http://tinyurl.com/3uabe
>
> Art Harris

The new Look Cleats have worked well for me. Only $3 more