pedal cleats question

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by anon, Jul 14, 2005.

  1. anon

    anon Guest

    Hi group, this is my visit to this NG as i've only recently gotten back into
    cycling,
    I treated myself to a Bianchi ML3 and now need to purchase some shoes and
    cleats to fit the bianchi's VP-R 70 pedals.
    There seems to be a wide range of types of pedal cleats etc so i don't want
    to order the wrong ones as i don't really want to have to replace the
    pedals.
    I have been looking at Nike Conerso shoes which i can get for a good price
    although strictly these seem to be an off road shoe, however i wonder if
    someone could explain the different types of cleats and fitments for me.
    I think my pedals are the same as Look pedals, and apparantly the Nike
    conerso shoes have a fitting for SPD, but not knowing the difference i'm a
    little in the dark.
    Thanks for any help.
    Steve.

    Tags:

  2. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    anon wrote:

    > I think my pedals are the same as Look pedals, and apparantly the Nike
    > conerso shoes have a fitting for SPD, but not knowing the difference
    > i'm a little in the dark.

    Look cleats will not fit SPD fittings (which are also compatible with Time
    cleats). Most road shoes have fittings for both SPD and Look cleats, but I
    doubt any MTB shoes have fittings for Look. why not go for a road shoe?
    Plenty of cheaper models available.

  3. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, anon
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Hi group, this is my visit to this NG as i've only recently gotten back
    > into cycling,
    > I treated myself to a Bianchi ML3 and now need to purchase some shoes
    > and cleats to fit the bianchi's VP-R 70 pedals.
    > There seems to be a wide range of types of pedal cleats etc so i don't
    > want to order the wrong ones as i don't really want to have to replace
    > the pedals.
    > I have been looking at Nike Conerso shoes which i can get for a good
    > price although strictly these seem to be an off road shoe, however i
    > wonder if someone could explain the different types of cleats and
    > fitments for me. I think my pedals are the same as Look pedals, and
    > apparantly the Nike conerso shoes have a fitting for SPD, but not
    > knowing the difference i'm a little in the dark.

    Most mountain bike cleat systems follow the original SPD pattern of
    having two bolts side by side. This includes Time ATAC, Speedplay Frog,
    Crank Bros Egg Beaters and probably some others. Most road cleat systems
    follow the Look delta system which has three bolts arranged in a
    triangle. Shimano SPD-R is different again and doesn't fit either; I
    don't know about SPD-SL. It is possible to fit adaptor plates which bolt
    into the boltholes of one system and have the boltholes for another but
    this is a major hassle.

    If the Nike Conerso is an 'off road' shoe is will probably have the two
    bolt hole pattern and will not work with the Bianchi pedals (which are
    badge-engineered Look Deltas).

    [ This .sig subject to change without notice ]

  4. anon

    anon Guest

    > in message <[email protected]>, anon
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    > > Hi group, this is my visit to this NG as i've only recently gotten back
    > > into cycling,
    > > I treated myself to a Bianchi ML3 and now need to purchase some shoes
    > > and cleats to fit the bianchi's VP-R 70 pedals.
    > > There seems to be a wide range of types of pedal cleats etc so i don't
    > > want to order the wrong ones as i don't really want to have to replace
    > > the pedals.
    > > I have been looking at Nike Conerso shoes which i can get for a good
    > > price although strictly these seem to be an off road shoe, however i
    > > wonder if someone could explain the different types of cleats and
    > > fitments for me. I think my pedals are the same as Look pedals, and
    > > apparantly the Nike conerso shoes have a fitting for SPD, but not
    > > knowing the difference i'm a little in the dark.

    > Most mountain bike cleat systems follow the original SPD pattern of
    > having two bolts side by side. This includes Time ATAC, Speedplay Frog,
    > Crank Bros Egg Beaters and probably some others. Most road cleat systems
    > follow the Look delta system which has three bolts arranged in a
    > triangle. Shimano SPD-R is different again and doesn't fit either; I
    > don't know about SPD-SL. It is possible to fit adaptor plates which bolt
    > into the boltholes of one system and have the boltholes for another but
    > this is a major hassle.
    >
    > If the Nike Conerso is an 'off road' shoe is will probably have the two
    > bolt hole pattern and will not work with the Bianchi pedals (which are
    > badge-engineered Look Deltas).
    >
    > --
    > [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    >
    > [ This .sig subject to change without notice ]

    Thanks for your replies and help guys, I liked the look and style of the
    nike conerso, but obviously its not going to work. what really concerned me
    was i know i need the triangular type cleats, but i have seen a few all
    slightly different to each other, slightly different shape or angles, but
    all roughly triangular with 3 bolt fixings.
    are they all compatible.
    Thanks again.
    Steve.

  5. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    anon wrote:
    > "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > in message <[email protected]>, anon
    > > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi group, this is my visit to this NG as i've only recently gotten back
    > > > into cycling,
    > > > I treated myself to a Bianchi ML3 and now need to purchase some shoes
    > > > and cleats to fit the bianchi's VP-R 70 pedals.
    > > > There seems to be a wide range of types of pedal cleats etc so i don't
    > > > want to order the wrong ones as i don't really want to have to replace
    > > > the pedals.
    > > > I have been looking at Nike Conerso shoes which i can get for a good
    > > > price although strictly these seem to be an off road shoe, however i
    > > > wonder if someone could explain the different types of cleats and
    > > > fitments for me. I think my pedals are the same as Look pedals, and
    > > > apparantly the Nike conerso shoes have a fitting for SPD, but not
    > > > knowing the difference i'm a little in the dark.

    > > Most mountain bike cleat systems follow the original SPD pattern of
    > > having two bolts side by side. This includes Time ATAC, Speedplay Frog,
    > > Crank Bros Egg Beaters and probably some others. Most road cleat systems
    > > follow the Look delta system which has three bolts arranged in a
    > > triangle. Shimano SPD-R is different again and doesn't fit either; I
    > > don't know about SPD-SL. It is possible to fit adaptor plates which bolt
    > > into the boltholes of one system and have the boltholes for another but
    > > this is a major hassle.
    > >
    > > If the Nike Conerso is an 'off road' shoe is will probably have the two
    > > bolt hole pattern and will not work with the Bianchi pedals (which are
    > > badge-engineered Look Deltas).
    > >
    > > --
    > > [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    > >
    > > [ This .sig subject to change without notice ]

    > Thanks for your replies and help guys, I liked the look and style of the
    > nike conerso, but obviously its not going to work. what really concerned me
    > was i know i need the triangular type cleats, but i have seen a few all
    > slightly different to each other, slightly different shape or angles, but
    > all roughly triangular with 3 bolt fixings.
    > are they all compatible.
    > Thanks again.

    I may be wrong but many continental manufacturers (eg Campag,
    Vitus)badge up Look pedals as their own. I would suggest get shoes that
    are Look/Time/SPD/SPDR compatible (most road ones are) and go to an LBS
    to try the different cleats on the pedals. Or compare your pedals with
    photos of the different types.

  6. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    MartinM wrote:

    > I may be wrong but many continental manufacturers (eg Campag,
    > Vitus)badge up Look pedals as their own. I would suggest get shoes that
    > are Look/Time/SPD/SPDR compatible (most road ones are) and go to an LBS
    > to try the different cleats on the pedals. Or compare your pedals with
    > photos of the different types.

    I _am_ wrong; just ridden in with someone with a Bianchi bike, it has
    Bianchi own name pedals (Turquoise) which are SPD, but yours may be
    different.

  7. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > MartinM wrote:
    >

    >> I may be wrong but many continental manufacturers (eg Campag,
    >> Vitus)badge up Look pedals as their own. I would suggest get shoes that
    >> are Look/Time/SPD/SPDR compatible (most road ones are) and go to an LBS
    >> to try the different cleats on the pedals. Or compare your pedals with
    >> photos of the different types.

    > I _am_ wrong; just ridden in with someone with a Bianchi bike, it has
    > Bianchi own name pedals (Turquoise) which are SPD, but yours may be
    > different.

    Well, on one of my Bianchis, I have pedals in the same colour as the bike -
    Bianchi Celeste - but they are Looks.

    Cheers, helen s

  8. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    wafflycat wrote:
    > "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >

    > > MartinM wrote:
    > >

    > >> I may be wrong but many continental manufacturers (eg Campag,
    > >> Vitus)badge up Look pedals as their own. I would suggest get shoes that
    > >> are Look/Time/SPD/SPDR compatible (most road ones are) and go to an LBS
    > >> to try the different cleats on the pedals. Or compare your pedals with
    > >> photos of the different types.

    > > I _am_ wrong; just ridden in with someone with a Bianchi bike, it has
    > > Bianchi own name pedals (Turquoise) which are SPD, but yours may be
    > > different.
    > >

    > Well, on one of my Bianchis, I have pedals in the same colour as the bike -
    > Bianchi Celeste - but they are Looks.

    Yes, thought there was a proper name for the colour, assuming Celeste
    is the girlie greeny blue. I did a search for the pedal model and they
    seem to come with the bike and not as a spare so could not find a
    picture.

    > Cheers, helen s

  9. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > Thanks for your replies and help guys, I liked the look and style of
    > the nike conerso, but obviously its not going to work. what really
    > concerned me was i know i need the triangular type cleats, but i have
    > seen a few all slightly different to each other, slightly different
    > shape or angles, but all roughly triangular with 3 bolt fixings.
    > are they all compatible.

    No, unfortunately. Can you take digital photos of your pedals or find a
    picture of the exact same models on the net? Alternatively, have a close
    look at any pictures of Look cleats you can find and compare them to your
    cleats.

    Feel free to email two or three pics (pref from different angles) to me if
    you like.

    ~PB p [at] biggs [dot] tc

  10. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    I wrote:
    > Alternatively,
    > have a close look at any pictures of Look cleats you can find and
    > compare them to your cleats.

    Sorry, 'spose you haven't got any. Should have been supplied with a
    pair, though.

    ~PB

  11. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Yes, thought there was a proper name for the colour, assuming Celeste
    > is the girlie greeny blue. I did a search for the pedal model and they
    > seem to come with the bike and not as a spare so could not find a
    > picture.
    >>
    >> Cheers, helen s

    Oh dear, oh dear, I'm Big Magnus wouldn't appreciate having one of the
    colours of his bike & team jersey referred to as "girlie greeny blue" ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  12. anon

    anon Guest

    "Pete Biggs" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    > Steve wrote:
    > > Thanks for your replies and help guys, I liked the look and style of
    > > the nike conerso, but obviously its not going to work. what really
    > > concerned me was i know i need the triangular type cleats, but i have
    > > seen a few all slightly different to each other, slightly different
    > > shape or angles, but all roughly triangular with 3 bolt fixings.
    > > are they all compatible.

    > No, unfortunately. Can you take digital photos of your pedals or find a
    > picture of the exact same models on the net? Alternatively, have a close
    > look at any pictures of Look cleats you can find and compare them to your
    > cleats.
    >
    > Feel free to email two or three pics (pref from different angles) to me if
    > you like.
    >
    > ~PB p [at] biggs [dot] tc

    Thanks guys, i found the website for the manufacturer of my pedals and there
    is a link showing the pic of the ones i have.

    http://www.vpcomponents.com/pedals.asp?pcat=&pcat2=1&nowPage=2&pagesize=5#

    They are the VP-R 70 just in case that link doesn't take to the individual
    pedal.

    Could anyone comment on the ease of removal for certain types of cleat
    systems too, i have heard horror stories of not being able to quickly remove
    the shoe and consequently falling flat on their face..i know its not funny,
    but i just know if that happened to me there would a crowd of people
    pointing and laughing. lol.

    Once again thanks for your help guys

    Steve.

  13. Simon Brooke

    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> in message <[email protected]>, anon
    >> ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi group, this is my visit to this NG as i've only recently gotten
    >> > back into cycling,
    >> > I treated myself to a Bianchi ML3 and now need to purchase some
    >> > shoes and cleats to fit the bianchi's VP-R 70 pedals.
    >> > There seems to be a wide range of types of pedal cleats etc so i
    >> > don't want to order the wrong ones as i don't really want to have to
    >> > replace the pedals.
    >> > I have been looking at Nike Conerso shoes which i can get for a good
    >> > price although strictly these seem to be an off road shoe, however i
    >> > wonder if someone could explain the different types of cleats and
    >> > fitments for me. I think my pedals are the same as Look pedals, and
    >> > apparantly the Nike conerso shoes have a fitting for SPD, but not
    >> > knowing the difference i'm a little in the dark.

    >> Most mountain bike cleat systems follow the original SPD pattern of
    >> having two bolts side by side. This includes Time ATAC, Speedplay
    >> Frog, Crank Bros Egg Beaters and probably some others. Most road cleat
    >> systems follow the Look delta system which has three bolts arranged in
    >> a triangle. Shimano SPD-R is different again and doesn't fit either; I
    >> don't know about SPD-SL. It is possible to fit adaptor plates which
    >> bolt into the boltholes of one system and have the boltholes for
    >> another but this is a major hassle.
    >>
    >> If the Nike Conerso is an 'off road' shoe is will probably have the
    >> two bolt hole pattern and will not work with the Bianchi pedals (which
    >> are badge-engineered Look Deltas).

    > Thanks for your replies and help guys, I liked the look and style of
    > the nike conerso, but obviously its not going to work. what really
    > concerned me was i know i need the triangular type cleats, but i have
    > seen a few all slightly different to each other, slightly different
    > shape or angles, but all roughly triangular with 3 bolt fixings.
    > are they all compatible.

    Look deltas and Look Keos use the same bolt pattern as one another (no
    great surprise there); the various badge engineered and clone Look type
    pedals also use the same (still not surprise). I'm pretty confident that
    current generation Campagnolo pedals use the same pattern, as do Time
    RXS. Shimano SPD-R do /not/, and aren't, so far as I know, compatible
    with anything else; Shimano SPD-SL is clearly derived from the Look
    design (which Shimano used to badge engineer) but I don't know about the
    bolt pattern.

    Note that, apart from the Look deltas and their clones, none of the
    actual cleats are compatible.

    I wear Sidi Energy shoes on my road bike. They're very comfortable and I
    think they look very flash - you might see if you like them.

    I shall continue to be an impossible person so long as those
    who are now possible remain possible -- Michael Bakunin

  14. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    anon wrote:

    http://www.vpcomponents.com/pedals.asp?pcat=&pcat2=1&nowPage=2&pagesize=5#

    > They are the VP-R 70 just in case that link doesn't take to the
    > individual pedal.

    They take VP-ARC1 cleats, which look *exactly* the same as standard Look
    "Free Arc" cleats. (Probably made by Look).

    By the way, the black versions have zero float for a "locked in" feel.
    Most users prefer the 9 degrees of "float" or free rotation that the red
    ones provide.

    > Could anyone comment on the ease of removal for certain types of cleat
    > systems too, i have heard horror stories of not being able to quickly
    > remove the shoe and consequently falling flat on their face..i know
    > its not funny, but i just know if that happened to me there would a
    > crowd of people pointing and laughing. lol.

    That may happen!, once or twice, but it's no problem once your brain is
    programmed to do The Twist at every stop. Not all that much force is
    required with typical tension settings.

    Clipping in: To prevent slipping, do not put full weight on the pedal
    until you feel & hear the "clunk".

    ~PB

  15. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>,
    MartinM ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > anon wrote:
    >> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > in message <[email protected]>, anon

    >> > Most mountain bike cleat systems follow the original SPD pattern of
    >> > having two bolts side by side. This includes Time ATAC, Speedplay
    >> > Frog, Crank Bros Egg Beaters and probably some others. Most road
    >> > cleat systems follow the Look delta system which has three bolts
    >> > arranged in a triangle. Shimano SPD-R is different again and doesn't
    >> > fit either; I don't know about SPD-SL. It is possible to fit adaptor
    >> > plates which bolt into the boltholes of one system and have the
    >> > boltholes for another but this is a major hassle.
    >> >
    >> > If the Nike Conerso is an 'off road' shoe is will probably have the
    >> > two bolt hole pattern and will not work with the Bianchi pedals
    >> > (which are badge-engineered Look Deltas).

    >> Thanks for your replies and help guys, I liked the look and style of
    >> the nike conerso, but obviously its not going to work. what really
    >> concerned me was i know i need the triangular type cleats, but i have
    >> seen a few all slightly different to each other, slightly different
    >> shape or angles, but all roughly triangular with 3 bolt fixings.
    >> are they all compatible.
    >> Thanks again.

    > I may be wrong but many continental manufacturers (eg Campag,
    > Vitus)badge up Look pedals as their own. I would suggest get shoes that
    > are Look/Time/SPD/SPDR compatible (most road ones are) and go to an LBS
    > to try the different cleats on the pedals. Or compare your pedals with
    > photos of the different types.

    Lots of suppliers do badge engineer Look pedals, but not Campag. SPD-R
    cleats are not compatible with either SPD or Look bolt patterns - you
    need an adaptor plate (which, when you've just spent over £100 to shave
    250 grammes off the weight of your shoes and pedals, is pretty stupid).
    My road shoes (SIDI) only have bolt holes for three-bolt cleats; my
    off-toad shoes (SIDI, Specialized) only have bolt holes for two-bolt
    cleats.

    ;; 99% of browsers can't run ActiveX controls. Unfortunately
    ;; 99% of users are using the 1% of browsers that can...
    [seen on /. 08:04:02]

  16. anon

    anon Guest

    > in message <[email protected]>, anon
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >

    > > "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >> in message <[email protected]>, anon

    > >> Most mountain bike cleat systems follow the original SPD pattern of
    > >> having two bolts side by side. This includes Time ATAC, Speedplay
    > >> Frog, Crank Bros Egg Beaters and probably some others. Most road cleat
    > >> systems follow the Look delta system which has three bolts arranged in
    > >> a triangle. Shimano SPD-R is different again and doesn't fit either; I
    > >> don't know about SPD-SL. It is possible to fit adaptor plates which
    > >> bolt into the boltholes of one system and have the boltholes for
    > >> another but this is a major hassle.
    > >>
    > >> If the Nike Conerso is an 'off road' shoe is will probably have the
    > >> two bolt hole pattern and will not work with the Bianchi pedals (which
    > >> are badge-engineered Look Deltas).

    > > Thanks for your replies and help guys, I liked the look and style of
    > > the nike conerso, but obviously its not going to work. what really
    > > concerned me was i know i need the triangular type cleats, but i have
    > > seen a few all slightly different to each other, slightly different
    > > shape or angles, but all roughly triangular with 3 bolt fixings.
    > > are they all compatible.

    > Look deltas and Look Keos use the same bolt pattern as one another (no
    > great surprise there); the various badge engineered and clone Look type
    > pedals also use the same (still not surprise). I'm pretty confident that
    > current generation Campagnolo pedals use the same pattern, as do Time
    > RXS. Shimano SPD-R do /not/, and aren't, so far as I know, compatible
    > with anything else; Shimano SPD-SL is clearly derived from the Look
    > design (which Shimano used to badge engineer) but I don't know about the
    > bolt pattern.
    >
    > Note that, apart from the Look deltas and their clones, none of the
    > actual cleats are compatible.
    >
    > I wear Sidi Energy shoes on my road bike. They're very comfortable and I
    > think they look very flash - you might see if you like them.
    >
    > --
    > [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    >
    > I shall continue to be an impossible person so long as those
    > who are now possible remain possible -- Michael Bakunin

    Great information, Thanks a million guys (don't know if any of you are gals
    too.)
    I will take a look at the Sidi's, I have a CBR fireblade for when the hills
    are just too much on the bike and i have been wearing Sidi Vertibra's for
    about 2 years, excellent boot, but as i would imagine with the road shoes
    they are expensive. Since i intend to use the bike for non racing use, IE
    recreational and keeping fit purposes i don't really want to spend more than
    i really need to. I was looking at a budget of around £50 - £60.

    Steve.

  17. Simon Brooke

    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > "Pete Biggs" <[email protected]> wrote
    > in message news:[email protected]
    >> Steve wrote:
    >> > Thanks for your replies and help guys, I liked the look and style of
    >> > the nike conerso, but obviously its not going to work. what really
    >> > concerned me was i know i need the triangular type cleats, but i
    >> > have seen a few all slightly different to each other, slightly
    >> > different shape or angles, but all roughly triangular with 3 bolt
    >> > fixings. are they all compatible.

    >> No, unfortunately. Can you take digital photos of your pedals or find
    >> picture of the exact same models on the net? Alternatively, have a
    >> close look at any pictures of Look cleats you can find and compare
    >> them to your cleats.
    >>
    >> Feel free to email two or three pics (pref from different angles) to
    >> me if you like.
    >>
    >> ~PB p [at] biggs [dot] tc

    > Thanks guys, i found the website for the manufacturer of my pedals and
    > there is a link showing the pic of the ones i have.

    http://www.vpcomponents.com/pedals.asp?pcat=&pcat2=1&nowPage=2&pagesize=5#

    > They are the VP-R 70 just in case that link doesn't take to the
    > individual pedal.

    That's a Look Delta clone.

    > Could anyone comment on the ease of removal for certain types of cleat
    > systems too, i have heard horror stories of not being able to quickly
    > remove the shoe and consequently falling flat on their face..i know its
    > not funny, but i just know if that happened to me there would a crowd
    > of people pointing and laughing. lol.

    It happens to everybody once. It's not that they're difficult to unclip
    (unless the cleat is loose on the shoe - /always/ remember to make sure
    your cleat is /extremely/ tightly screwed on!), it's that you don't
    remember - but it's something you very quickly learn. A good pedal
    system is worth about 10% of your power, so it's worth it.

    I'm fed up with Life 1.0. I never liked it much and now it's getting
    me down. I think I'll upgrade to MSLife 97 -- you know, the one that
    comes in a flash new box and within weeks you're crawling with bugs.