Pedal difficulty

Neal

Guest
Are the newer pedals (Look style) easier to clip into and out? My current
pedals are Shimano PF 6401 and are probably 17 years old. I've noticed that
other riders with newer Look pedals seem to not have as much of a problem with
their pedals.

"Neal" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:djc%[email protected]...
> Are the newer pedals (Look style) easier to clip into and out? My current
> pedals are Shimano PF 6401 and are probably 17 years old. I've noticed
> that other riders with newer Look pedals seem to not have as much of a
> problem with their pedals.

Heya Neal, the standard 6401s without the fixed-free knob on the back are
great in my expierence. I would however, reccomend that you make sure you
keep the tension adjusted rather tight and never ride them with cleats that
are worn past the little tiny wear indication holes in the bottom.

Dave Reckoning
Noblesville, Indiana

In article <djc%[email protected]>, Neal ([email protected]) wrote:
> Are the newer pedals (Look style) easier to clip into and out? My current
> pedals are Shimano PF 6401 and are probably 17 years old. I've noticed that
> other riders with newer Look pedals seem to not have as much of a problem with
> their pedals.

I have been using Looks for sixteen years now and have always found them
very easy to clip into. A couple of weeks ago I acquired a pair of
SPDs, and found them to be absolute sods to attach myself to. With
practice I could get the left foot in fairly easily but the right
required anything up to a minute of pushing, shoving and swearing.
Fortunately this was on a recumbent trike, so frequent unclipping was
not required, but the experiment will not be repeated.

And if anyone in BRITAIN wants a pair of A515 pedals and size 43-44 MTB
SD 60 sandals, they've done 321.3 km and are going cheap...

Stop it! You're scarin' the Hippo...

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 11:53:34 +0100 in rec.bicycles.tech, Dave
Larrington <[email protected]> wrote:

> A couple of weeks ago I acquired a pair of
> SPDs, and found them to be absolute sods to attach myself to. With
> practice I could get the left foot in fairly easily but the right
> required anything up to a minute of pushing, shoving and swearing.

speedplay frogs. lots of float, easy clip in/out (unless you
clog the cleat by stepping in dog you-know-what). best pedals
i've ever had.

"Neal" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:djc%[email protected]...
> Are the newer pedals (Look style) easier to clip into and out? My current
> pedals are Shimano PF 6401 and are probably 17 years old. I've noticed
> that other riders with newer Look pedals seem to not have as much of a
> problem with their pedals.

Can't say for sure about whether old vs new is better or not, but I really
like my LOOK pedals.

Neal wrote:
> Are the newer pedals (Look style) easier to clip into and out? My current
> pedals are Shimano PF 6401 and are probably 17 years old. I've noticed that
> other riders with newer Look pedals seem to not have as much of a problem with
> their pedals.

All Look style pedals, Look, Campag, Time now, shimano, are still toe
in, heel down. If you want an easy pedal to get into and out of, look
at Speedplay Zero lineup-feels like a pedal, step onna bug entry,
adjustable float, nice pedal.

> Neal wrote:
>> Are the newer pedals (Look style) easier to clip into and out? My current
>> pedals are Shimano PF 6401 and are probably 17 years old. I've noticed that
>> other riders with newer Look pedals seem to not have as much of a problem
>> with
>> their pedals.

> All Look style pedals, Look, Campag, Time now, shimano, are still toe
> in, heel down. If you want an easy pedal to get into and out of, look
> at Speedplay Zero lineup-feels like a pedal, step onna bug entry,
> adjustable float, nice pedal.

I've read that many riders find the Speedplay gives them foot problems because
of the small contact area. Is this a common problem or rare? What about the
Speedplay Frog? Would this be a good road pedal?

Neal

In article <[email protected]>, Dennis P.
Harris ([email protected]) wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 11:53:34 +0100 in rec.bicycles.tech, Dave
> Larrington <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > A couple of weeks ago I acquired a pair of
> > SPDs, and found them to be absolute sods to attach myself to. With
> > practice I could get the left foot in fairly easily but the right
> > required anything up to a minute of pushing, shoving and swearing.

> speedplay frogs. lots of float

Float? Ugh!

> , easy clip in/out (unless you
> clog the cleat by stepping in dog you-know-what). best pedals
> i've ever had.

I've sticking with Looks, thanks...

Help me, Mrs. Medleycott, I don't know what to do. I've only got three
bullets and there's four of Mötley Crüe.

You have them poorly adjusted. Set them to their lowest tension and you
will get into them and out of them unconsciously.

news:[email protected]...

Neal wrote:
> Are the newer pedals (Look style) easier to clip into and out? My current
> pedals are Shimano PF 6401 and are probably 17 years old. I've noticed that
> other riders with newer Look pedals seem to not have as much of a problem with
> their pedals.

Difficulty entering and exiting Look pedals is the classic sign the
cleats are worn. If you can't see the wear indicator holes in the
bottom of the cleats, it's time to replace them.

I found a photo that shows the wear indicators here:
http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='2990-52'

In article <[email protected]>,
([email protected]) wrote:

> Difficulty entering and exiting Look pedals is the classic sign the
> cleats are worn.

In my experience, worn Look cleats are not at all difficult to unclip.
In fact, they will try to do it even when you don't want them to, and I
still have the scar on my shin to prove it...

Official: Living in a wardrobe can be injurious to one's health
<URL:http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-1567961,00.html>

Neal wrote:
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Neal wrote:
> >> Are the newer pedals (Look style) easier to clip into and out? My current
> >> pedals are Shimano PF 6401 and are probably 17 years old. I've noticed that
> >> other riders with newer Look pedals seem to not have as much of a problem
> >> with
> >> their pedals.

> > All Look style pedals, Look, Campag, Time now, shimano, are still toe
> > in, heel down. If you want an easy pedal to get into and out of, look
> > at Speedplay Zero lineup-feels like a pedal, step onna bug entry,
> > adjustable float, nice pedal.
> >

> I've read that many riders find the Speedplay gives them foot problems because
> of the small contact area. Is this a common problem or rare? What about the
> Speedplay Frog? Would this be a good road pedal?

The cleat, both parts, of SP, are the same size as the other pedals
mentioned. As for Frogs, yes a great pedal if you wish to use a shoe to
walk around in during the ride stops.

On 21 Apr 2006 04:54:03 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Neal wrote:
>> Are the newer pedals (Look style) easier to clip into and out? My current
>> pedals are Shimano PF 6401 and are probably 17 years old. I've noticed that
>> other riders with newer Look pedals seem to not have as much of a problem with
>> their pedals.

>Difficulty entering and exiting Look pedals is the classic sign the
>cleats are worn. If you can't see the wear indicator holes in the
>bottom of the cleats, it's time to replace them.
>
>I found a photo that shows the wear indicators here:
>http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='2990-52'

I've found that some shoes are (were?) not well shaped for them and as the cleat
forms to the sole it becomes hard to use.

Ron

Dave Larrington wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> ([email protected]) wrote:
>
>> Difficulty entering and exiting Look pedals is the classic sign the
>> cleats are worn.

> In my experience, worn Look cleats are not at all difficult to unclip.
> In fact, they will try to do it even when you don't want them to, and
> I still have the scar on my shin to prove it...

Yup.

Neal wrote:
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Neal wrote:
> >> Are the newer pedals (Look style) easier to clip into and out? My current
> >> pedals are Shimano PF 6401 and are probably 17 years old. I've noticed that
> >> other riders with newer Look pedals seem to not have as much of a problem
> >> with
> >> their pedals.

> > All Look style pedals, Look, Campag, Time now, shimano, are still toe
> > in, heel down. If you want an easy pedal to get into and out of, look
> > at Speedplay Zero lineup-feels like a pedal, step onna bug entry,
> > adjustable float, nice pedal.
> >

> I've read that many riders find the Speedplay gives them foot problems because
> of the small contact area.

Many bike shops now days seem to carry this much hyped pedal. Go there
and compare its cleat and pedal area to Look or others. Then decide
for yourself if the hyped pedal has as much contact area for your foot.

Is this a common problem or rare? What about the
> Speedplay Frog? Would this be a good road pedal?

Speedplay Frog is a good road pedal. Similar to SPD or ATAC or
Eggbeater or BeBop for the road. More float in the Frog model. I know
people who have used the Frog for many, many thousands of miles of road
riding. Same small contact area and susceptibility to hot foot as the
SPD, ATAC, Eggbeater, BeBop, etc. pedals.

If hot foot is your greatest fear in biking, then you have to stick
with Look, Time, or the new copies of Look by Campagnolo and Shimano.
Official road pedals. Have you ever heard anyone complain about hot
foot from riding Look or Time pedals, or the Look copies? Not until
the mountain bike pedal was invented, SPD, ATAC, etc., did people start
complaining about hot foot. That should tell you something.

> Neal

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Neal wrote:
>> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > All Look style pedals, Look, Campag, Time now, shimano, are still toe
>> > in, heel down. If you want an easy pedal to get into and out of, look
>> > at Speedplay Zero lineup-feels like a pedal, step onna bug entry,
>> > adjustable float, nice pedal.
>> >

>> I've read that many riders find the Speedplay gives them foot problems
>> because
>> of the small contact area.

> Many bike shops now days seem to carry this much hyped pedal. Go there
> and compare its cleat and pedal area to Look or others. Then decide
> for yourself if the hyped pedal has as much contact area for your foot.

I've ridden Time, Look, and now Speedplay Zeros for 4 years. Don't look at
the pedal to judge contact area on Speedplays because for all practical
purposes the pedal does not contact the shoe. Speedplay reversed the
cleat/pedal role... the retention system is in the cleat not the pedal as
with most others. The pedal clips into the cleat, and the cleat contacts the
shoe.

So, the Speedplay "feels" like you're riding on a 3"x4" platform (the size
of the cleat). That means the cleat is usually heavier than other cleats,
but the whole pedal/cleat combo is very light.

The retention mechanism does not rely upon spring tension, so the float is
incredibly easy. I've read some who liken it to pedaling on ice and don't
like it. I love it.

Speedplays have rotational float but no lateral float. I think Time is the
one pedal that offers both. Nicht wahr?

"Bestest Handsander" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Neal wrote:
>>> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> I've read that many riders find the Speedplay gives them foot problems
>>> because
>>> of the small contact area.

>> Many bike shops now days seem to carry this much hyped pedal. Go there
>> and compare its cleat and pedal area to Look or others. Then decide
>> for yourself if the hyped pedal has as much contact area for your foot.
>>

> I've ridden Time, Look, and now Speedplay Zeros for 4 years. Don't look at
> the pedal to judge contact area on Speedplays because for all practical
> purposes the pedal does not contact the shoe. Speedplay reversed the
> cleat/pedal role... the retention system is in the cleat not the pedal as
> with most others. The pedal clips into the cleat, and the cleat contacts
> the shoe.
>
> So, the Speedplay "feels" like you're riding on a 3"x4" platform (the size
> of the cleat). That means the cleat is usually heavier than other cleats,
> but the whole pedal/cleat combo is very light.
>
> The retention mechanism does not rely upon spring tension, so the float is
> incredibly easy. I've read some who liken it to pedaling on ice and don't
> like it. I love it.
>
> Speedplays have rotational float but no lateral float. I think Time is the
> one pedal that offers both. Nicht wahr?

Forgot to mention that some light riders have reported difficulty clipping
into Speedplays. It can take a pretty good push especially when new. I'm
"gravity enhanced" and have never had a problem.