Pedal Dilemna! Too much choice.. not enough knowledge...

wcngu1 said:
Wow that gives me a great understanding of Keo's! Just a little concerned if I crash because I'm sure I WILL crash since I am just recently converting from mountain bikes to road bikes haha. I've never used clip on pedals before!!!:D
Yeah, I'm coming to road biking from mountain bikinging, too. I'll probably get my road bike next spring. In the meantime, I was thinking of picking up some road shoes and pedals now, just to get used to them before I start test riding every road bike within 50 miles. I've always assumed the mounting hole and thread were universal, so I could use the road pedals on my mountain bike. Is that true?

pedalsquares said:
I've always assumed the mounting hole and thread were universal, so I could use the road pedals on my mountain bike. Is that true?
True, unless it uses a one piece (Ashtabula) crank... only used on old bikes, and maybe some cheapies and bmx bikes. :)

3 piece crank = 9/16"

1 piece crank = 1/2"

wow... keo cromo's suddenly on top! The dura ace seems to be left in the dust as well as the campys lol.

I was looking at the cleats for the Keo Cromo's and they have two different types "degrees?" e.g BLACK 0 DEGREES OR RED 9 DEGREES. I have no idea what the degress stand for? or does this mean seperate colours (but why the degrees?) anyone know why? thanks =) I am leaning towards buying the LOok KEO's and if I do I"ll buy spare cleats but unsure what this degree thing is on about

wcngu1 said:
wow... keo cromo's suddenly on top! The dura ace seems to be left in the dust as well as the campys lol.

I was looking at the cleats for the Keo Cromo's and they have two different types "degrees?" e.g BLACK 0 DEGREES OR RED 9 DEGREES. I have no idea what the degress stand for? or does this mean seperate colours (but why the degrees?) anyone know why? thanks =) I am leaning towards buying the LOok KEO's and if I do I"ll buy spare cleats but unsure what this degree thing is on about
Degrees refers to the amount of float before the cleat begins disengagement. 0 degrees is fixed, you foot cannot move when clipped in. 9 degrees is the norm and means you can swing your heel from side to side without disengaging. This is much better for your knees.

bobbyOCR said:
Degrees refers to the amount of float before the cleat begins disengagement. 0 degrees is fixed, you foot cannot move when clipped in. 9 degrees is the norm and means you can swing your heel from side to side without disengaging. This is much better for your knees.
Thanks it looks like 9 degrees is the way to go. thanks for the advice!!