"Pedal" (documentary on NYC bike messengers) on Sundance channel

Probably old news, but this documentary is
about the NYC bike messengers who speed
through traffic. Most of them ride fixies, and
one has only one leg (and rides a fixie).

These guys all do great trackstands...

One of the guys who rides a multispeed
bike (with a freewheel) did a very good
wheelie and was in full control (like unibiker).

I can't watch the docu as I don't have that channel; but it sounds
interesting- can you briefly say why they use 'fixies'? (presumably
fixies are single speed and no freewheel).

I'm wondering what the technical pros are of using fixies in that
situation.

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
the Muni that really fires him up."

onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

cool,as a former messenger in 3 citys i would love to see it. but i dont
have cable tv.

onewheeldave wrote:
> *I'm wondering what the technical pros are of using fixies in that
> situation. *

they are the most anti-theft kind of byke you can ride. the combination
of no fancy componates or freewheel make lousy resale value.

--
jagur - #3649_all fluff i hear?

[image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/albup23/sig_2.jpg]

-Forget_Your_Life-

I can't speak for the messengers, but I think some of them use "fixies"
because they are track racers. The messenger work is training.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Beer me." -- Scot Cooper, at the end of a group ride all the way up and
all the way down Mt. Diablo (3300'), a 20 mile round trip of road and
trail.