"Pedal" (documentary on NYC bike messengers) on Sundance channel

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by [email protected], Jul 6, 2004.

  1. Probably old news, but this documentary is
    about the NYC bike messengers who speed
    through traffic. Most of them ride fixies, and
    one has only one leg (and rides a fixie).

    These guys all do great trackstands...

    One of the guys who rides a multispeed
    bike (with a freewheel) did a very good
    wheelie and was in full control (like unibiker).

    Tags:

  2. onewheeldave

    onewheeldave Guest

    I can't watch the docu as I don't have that channel; but it sounds
    interesting- can you briefly say why they use 'fixies'? (presumably
    fixies are single speed and no freewheel).

    I'm wondering what the technical pros are of using fixies in that
    situation.

    --
    onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

    "He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
    the Muni that really fires him up."

    onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

  3. jagur

    jagur Guest

    cool,as a former messenger in 3 citys i would love to see it. but i dont
    have cable tv.

    onewheeldave wrote:
    > *I'm wondering what the technical pros are of using fixies in that
    > situation. *

    they are the most anti-theft kind of byke you can ride. the combination
    of no fancy componates or freewheel make lousy resale value.

    --
    jagur - #3649_all fluff i hear?

    [image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/albup23/sig_2.jpg]

    -Forget_Your_Life-

  4. willfcc

    willfcc Guest

  5. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    I can't speak for the messengers, but I think some of them use "fixies"
    because they are track racers. The messenger work is training.

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
    www.unicycling.com

    "Beer me." -- Scot Cooper, at the end of a group ride all the way up and
    all the way down Mt. Diablo (3300'), a 20 mile round trip of road and
    trail.