Pedal Extenders

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bert Lerue, Apr 4, 2003.

  1. Bert Lerue

    Bert Lerue Guest

    Please Help!

    The part I'm looking for is a spacer type thing that is connected to the crank and then the pedal
    attaches to this extender. This causes the pedal to be mounted a certain distance away (outward)
    from the usual position. I hoping that by doing this some pain in my legs, knee and hip might be
    alleviated. I spoken with my local bike shop who tell me they never heard of such a thing. I pretty
    sure I did see this in a bicycle magazine about a year or two ago. I would like to know if there is
    such a thing and if so where can I get a set. Thanks for you help. Bert Halifax Nova Scotia.

    Tags:

  2. Bert LeRue wrote:
    > Please Help!
    >
    > The part I'm looking for is a spacer type thing that is connected to the crank and then the
    > pedal attaches to this extender. This causes the pedal to be mounted a certain distance away
    > (outward) from the usual position. I hoping that by doing this some pain in my legs, knee and
    > hip might be alleviated. I spoken with my local bike shop who tell me they never heard of such a
    > thing. I pretty sure I did see this in a bicycle magazine about a year or two ago. I would like
    > to know if there is such a thing and if so where can I get a set. Thanks for you help. Bert
    > Halifax Nova Scotia.

    More likely you just need a pedal with more float. If your legs can't fall into a natural position,
    then stuff will hurt.

    If speedplay's road pedals are anything like their offroad ones, they're really freefloating, which
    will feel kidna sketchy at first, but you'll get used to them in no time and it will probably fix
    the problem.

    Also make sure that your cleats are mounted correctly!!! I'd have a physical therapist who
    specializes in bicycles check out your riding position, they're the ones who will tell you whats
    going wrong. They can probably giv eyou excercises to do that will help alleviate pain too.

    Jon Bond

  3. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    You can order direct or have your shop get the item for you
    <http://www.pacelineproducts.com/index1.htm>

    You might also try 3 mm spacers between the pedal and crankarm.

    On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 16:44:10 GMT, "Bert LeRue" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Please Help!
    >
    >The part I'm looking for is a spacer type thing that is connected to the crank and then the pedal
    >attaches to this extender. This causes the pedal to be mounted a certain distance away (outward)
    >from the usual position. I hoping that by doing this some pain in my legs, knee and hip might be
    >alleviated. I spoken with my local bike shop who tell me they never heard of such a thing. I pretty
    >sure I did see this in a bicycle magazine about a year or two ago. I would like to know if there is
    >such a thing and if so where can I get a set. Thanks for you help. Bert Halifax Nova Scotia.

  4. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    "Bert LeRue" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Please Help!
    >
    > The part I'm looking for is a spacer type thing that is connected to the crank and then the
    > pedal attaches to this extender. This causes the pedal to be mounted a certain distance away
    > (outward) from the usual position. I hoping that by doing this some pain in my legs, knee and
    > hip might be alleviated. I spoken with my local bike shop who tell me they never heard of such a
    > thing. I pretty sure I did see this in a bicycle magazine about a year or two ago. I would like
    > to know if there is such a thing and if so where can I get a set. Thanks for you help. Bert
    > Halifax Nova Scotia.

    They're called Kneesavers: http://www.bikescor.com/product/knee.htm You'll have to do some searching
    on your own to find a Canadian supplier if you don't want to order them direct from California.

    Jeff

  5. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >The part I'm looking for is a spacer type thing that is connected to the crank and then the pedal
    >attaches to this extender. This causes the pedal to be mounted a certain distance away (outward)
    >from the usual position. I hoping that by doing this some pain in my legs,

    I did an end run and switched to BMX flats. The Haro greens are about forty bucks, roughly the size
    of Texas and about as light as you can get.

    I've got wider-than-usual hips and a correspondingly wide stance. A couple of nagging problems went
    away once I switched and, sure enough, every time I look down, my feet have found a place about 3/4"
    to 1" out from the cranks.

    I'd be afraid of kneesavers based on the advice of an LBS manager who thought they would increase
    the likelihood of a crank failure. My feeling is that a crank failure under load can be extremely
    hazardous to one's health.
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  6. "(Pete Cresswell)" wrote:
    >.
    >
    > I've got wider-than-usual hips and a correspondingly wide stance. A couple of nagging problems
    > went away once I switched and, sure enough, every time I look down, my feet have found a place
    > about 3/4" to 1" out from the cranks.
    >
    > I'd be afraid of kneesavers based on the advice of an LBS manager who thought they would increase
    > the likelihood of a crank failure. My feeling is that a crank failure under load can be extremely
    > hazardous to one's health.

    wrong thinking: the effective moment arm is in both cases the same. The load on the crank-eye
    therefore isn't any different.

    --
    Marten

  7. Ronni

    Ronni Guest

    For the same reason I am using the kneesavers for years without any problem on my recumbent.They are
    news:p[email protected]...