Pedal float

Telegram Sam

Jul 14, 2004
Can someone please explain what "float" in a pedal is- I'm stuck and I can't find it in the archives.

Float is the amount of movement your foot is allowed to move before your cleat/pedal system disengages. It’s usually stated in degrees. What kind of pedal system do you have or are looking at? Because different brands and types have different amounts.

To add to bananaman's answer, float generally involves the foot rotating or twisting left and right, with the pedal/cleat assembly as the pivot point. With most systems, there's some tension or resistance involved; with a few others (notably Speedplay), rotation is free.

A few pedals on the market offer other levels of float -- some models from Time, for instance, allow lateral side-to-side movement.

The idea behind any type of float is ergonomics. A robot wouldn't need it, but many cyclists experience knee, ankle, or hip pain over time if pedal float doesn't allow for little twists and turns to compensate for your body's natural quirks.

Not sure what I'm going to end up with, but I had thought that it was lateral movement. As in all things, my style is sloppy and I like to roll my foot out when I ride...maybe ten degrees or less...this seems to put less pressure on my knees (especially climbing). I suppose the next question is...what types are adjustable and what do y'all like (road.). Thanks for the speedy response guys!

There are only one type of ajustable cleats out there that I know of and they are Speedplay Zero's but the draw bacl to those is price. I personally use speedplay X-2 (Road Racing)

There might be others, but the only major label model I know that offers lateral float is from Time, and I'm not sure which unit it is -- one of the Time devotees could elaborate (though I believe it's a higher-end model, and Time prices run high to begin with).

Many of the models with non-free float (ie, spring-loaded or otherwise tensioned float) allow you to adjust the stiffness of the action within limits. As bananaman noted, the Speedplay Zero series (which I currently run two pairs of on two bikes) is one of the few models that offers an adjustable float range -- that is, you can shrink the rotation down 12, 11, 10, 4, 3, 1 or 0 degrees, as you see fit, and you can place it precisely (meaning you can set your foot to swing, say, 2 degrees inward and 8 degrees outward).

As stated previously, Speedplays have free (non-tensioned) float, and that's a quality you can't adjust on either X or Zero series Speedplays. Great pedals, all in all.

The Time pedals that lokstah refers to are the Time Impact series (Impact S, Mag, and Mag Ti). These pedals offer lateral float as well as about 9 degrees of normal (heel in/heel out) float I think. They also have what they call "S.E.T." This is an adjustment that you can make that allows how "free" the float is. You can go from completely free--where there is no re-centering tension--to almost fixed, locking out all the float. Hope this helps.

Jeff

You have to remember the more float you have the harder it is to get out of the pedal. I personally like Look pedals (on all my bikes) I use the black cleats that are (supposedly) 0 degrees of float. In reality there is still some play in them. I tryed the red cleats with 6 degrees of float and had a heck of a time escaping out of them. If you really need that much float for whatever reason. poor form or mechanics ,off roading, physical limititations, etc go with time or speedplay. Looks are also a good choice.. but not the best.
If you only need a small amount of float then Ide definitely choose a Look pp396 or A5.1.. Look makes so many different pedals you really need to try before you buy. :cool:

notryt said:
You have to remember the more float you have the harder it is to get out of the pedal. I personally like Look pedals (on all my bikes) I use the black cleats that are (supposedly) 0 degrees of float. In reality there is still some play in them. I tryed the red cleats with 6 degrees of float and had a heck of a time escaping out of them. If you really need that much float for whatever reason. poor form or mechanics ,off roading, physical limititations, etc go with time or speedplay. Looks are also a good choice.. but not the best.
If you only need a small amount of float then Ide definitely choose a Look pp396 or A5.1.. Look makes so many different pedals you really need to try before you buy. :cool:
Where did you find this thread? :) It's over 2 years old

If you tend to roll your foot to put less pressure on your knees while climbing, you might want to look at your positioning on the bike, or have someone analyze your position. It sounds like you'd benefit from float, but it also sounds like there may be some other issues with your positioning as well.