pedal force build help...

ccrnnr9

May 5, 2004
Hey guys. I have decided I am going to purchase a Pedal Force QS2 or ZX3 frameset to build off. I noticed that they sell an ultegra equipped bike for 2000$. I was planning on doing a whole build by myself but this seems to be a pretty good price. Not to mention that they will refund the build up to 50$ (meaning I would only have to pay 25-50$ for the build). The wheelset is FSA RD-200 while if I build the bike up myself, I plan to do either ultegra or record hubs with Open Pro rims. I think these would be better wheels for training. Then I would buy a set of race wheels later on. The other option is to buy their complete bike without saddle and wheels and do my own thing there. I was just wondering what those of you who had built your own bikes felt? Will I end up spending more than 2000$ in hidden costs by doing the build myself? I have done all the calculations and right now I figure that the cost of building the bike with my own parts and just buying their frame and fork would be about 1950 with chorus components (about 200gram lighter than ultegra too!) and about 1980 with ultegra. The only thing I do not include in that price is the shipping on the wheels. Any opinions are welcome.

Also, I performance does not offer the open pro rims on chorus hubs. Anybody know where I could get these for a decent price online? I think I could save a lot by going with chorus. The set with record hubs is nearly 100$ more expensive than the ones with ultegra hubs.

Is centaur comparable to ultegra? I know it is lighter but will it hold up as well and do as well overall? I think it would be more fun to build the bike up myself and have it be more "persona", but being a college student, the economical choice is the best choice. I wouldn't even mind going veloce and upgrading later. Any help is greatly appreciated!
~Nick

ccrnnr9 said:
Also, I performance does not offer the open pro rims on chorus hubs. Anybody know where I could get these for a decent price online? I think I could save a lot by going with chorus. The set with record hubs is nearly 100$ more expensive than the ones with ultegra hubs. [/QUOTE=ccrnnr9]

On the hubs and wheels front, you can buy the open pro rims, spokes, nipples and hub (ultegra, centaur or chorus) separately and let the LBS wheelbuilder build them. This way you can choose the no. of holes open pro rims you want with the corresponding ultegra/centaur/chorus hub (according to the rim holes), the gauge and brand of spokes, and the type of nipples (aluminum or brass).

ccrnnr9 said:
Hey guys. I have decided I am going to purchase a Pedal Force QS2 or ZX3 frameset to build off. I noticed that they sell an ultegra equipped bike for 2000$. I was planning on doing a whole build by myself but this seems to be a pretty good price. Not to mention that they will refund the build up to 50$ (meaning I would only have to pay 25-50$ for the build). The wheelset is FSA RD-200 while if I build the bike up myself, I plan to do either ultegra or record hubs with Open Pro rims. I think these would be better wheels for training. Then I would buy a set of race wheels later on. The other option is to buy their complete bike without saddle and wheels and do my own thing there. I was just wondering what those of you who had built your own bikes felt? Will I end up spending more than 2000$ in hidden costs by doing the build myself? I have done all the calculations and right now I figure that the cost of building the bike with my own parts and just buying their frame and fork would be about 1950 with chorus components (about 200gram lighter than ultegra too!) and about 1980 with ultegra. The only thing I do not include in that price is the shipping on the wheels. Any opinions are welcome.

Also, I performance does not offer the open pro rims on chorus hubs. Anybody know where I could get these for a decent price online? I think I could save a lot by going with chorus. The set with record hubs is nearly 100$ more expensive than the ones with ultegra hubs.

Is centaur comparable to ultegra? I know it is lighter but will it hold up as well and do as well overall? I think it would be more fun to build the bike up myself and have it be more "persona", but being a college student, the economical choice is the best choice. I wouldn't even mind going veloce and upgrading later. Any help is greatly appreciated!
~Nick

It is almost always cheaper to buy a stock built bike, particularly in the low to mid price ranges. The manufacturers buy components in bulk and can therefore sell built bikes for less than you can assemble one by yourself. Doing the build yourself is fun, but you may have to accept the trade off of a higher price to get exactly what you want. That being said, sometimes it is cheaper if you can get good deals on individual components.

Often the best deal is to get a stock bike and then make a few custom component swaps or upgrades as needed.

Centaur is just as good as Ultegra.

Have you accounted for the price of a fork in your proposed custom build? I saw that their frames do not include the fork for the $650 price.

Colorado Cyclist has Chorus/Open Pro wheels starting at $340. I have used their wheels and they are a good quality build.

By the way, I think that you can find stock builds of carbon framed bikes for less than $2K with full Ultegra online. I saw that RAcycles website has Giant TCR composite 2 '05 models for $1895 complete wiht Ultegra 10, and '03 Kestrels with Ultegra 9 for $1700. Not to mention what deals you can find at your local bike shops for complete bikes.

Thanks for the help. The reason I like the pedal force frame is that it is a much nicer frame than those giant comp frames. They were recently tested by cycle sport and got a 10/10 rating. In addition, I rode the giant comp frame and couldnt get comfortable on it. As far as the fork added into the cost, yes I did. It is 800$ for frame and fork from them. Performance offers the record and op combo for 300$, so for 40$ less I get better hubs and I hear their build quality is very good.
~Nick