pedal grab sort of question

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by trials_uni, Jan 26, 2006.

  1. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

    acctually this is about making pedal grabs easier. what would the effect
    be for a grab if you had a peice of knobby rubber like a tire piece on
    the base of your grabbing pedal. kind of like a grind plate but for
    grabbing not grinding.

    what do you guys think of the idea...would it work?

    -Phil

    --
    trials_uni

    You can't get up and try it again if you don't fall first.
    -Phil
    'Check Out my Newbie Guide' (http://tinyurl.com/99yez) <---new more
    informative post go now! edited today!
    Also Join the 'Unicyclist Roster'
    (http://ecstasy.winternet.com/roster/index.php?) and meet other
    unicyclists in your area!
    Make Your Own 'Juggling Clubs!' (http://www.crazytieguy.com/clubs.htm)

  2. Yes.

    --
    TheObieOne3226

    'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT)
    'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com)
    'Arrow Racing' (http://www.arrowracing.com/)
    'Sixsixone' (http://www.sixsixone.com)

    \"obie is definately a trend setter, i got in to unicycling because of
    him, and came here because of him\" - kj-52

    \"try not to annoy the great obie, for he is better than us.\" - murde
    mental

    *disclaimer: the above message was not intended to offend anyone. if
    you are offended i can take no responsibility for my actions because i
    don't feel like it. also you are reading an internet newsgroup where
    not everyone will share your same views and beliefs, be able to take
    criticism and post/read threads at your own risk.*

  3. pete66

    pete66 Guest

    Yeah I've never really had a problem with metal pedals not being grippy
    enough but I guess if you're trying to pedal grab non-flat surfaces
    then it could be a great idea you have there.

    u could go one better and have mini-ejectors on the underside of each
    pedal to take the strain out of "getting to rubber" you just press a
    little button on the handle and it blasts you up... :cool:

    --
    pete66
    pete66's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4812

  4. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

    im gonna try it when i get my trials ill tell ya how it goes.

    --
    trials_uni

    You can't get up and try it again if you don't fall first.
    -Phil
    'Check Out my Newbie Guide' (http://tinyurl.com/99yez) <---new more
    informative post go now! edited today!
    Also Join the 'Unicyclist Roster'
    (http://ecstasy.winternet.com/roster/index.php?) and meet other
    unicyclists in your area!
    Make Your Own 'Juggling Clubs!' (http://www.crazytieguy.com/clubs.htm)

  5. koebwil

    koebwil Guest

  6. excaliber906

    excaliber906 Guest

    trials_uni wrote:
    > acctually this is about making pedal grabs easier. what would the effect
    > be for a grab if you had a peice of knobby rubber like a tire piece on
    > the base of your grabbing pedal. kind of like a grind plate but for
    > grabbing not grinding.
    >
    > what do you guys think of the idea...would it work?
    > -Phil

    If you really wanted to prevent slippage, you could put some suction
    cups on the bottom.:rolleyes: But seriously, it seems like it would
    sort of get in the way if your doing alot of tricks; but I can see how
    it would work pretty well for trials riding. If you are, I say go for
    it!

    --
    excaliber906

    ~Stephen McKay

    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

    *Unitam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant.*
    excaliber906's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8933

  7. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

    i have the rubber i have the mounting plate im going to use and i have
    hardware to apply my new technology...all i need now is a trials uni
    lol

    --
    trials_uni

    You can't get up and try it again if you don't fall first.
    -Phil
    'Check Out my Newbie Guide' (http://tinyurl.com/99yez) <---new more
    informative post go now! edited today!
    Also Join the 'Unicyclist Roster'
    (http://ecstasy.winternet.com/roster/index.php?) and meet other
    unicyclists in your area!
    Make Your Own 'Juggling Clubs!' (http://www.crazytieguy.com/clubs.htm)

  8. maestro8

    maestro8 Guest

    pete66 wrote:
    > Yeah I've never really had a problem with metal pedals not being grippy
    > enough

    I've never had a problem either.

    Depending on your pedal and your selection of rubber, you may actually
    -lose- grip by putting a rubber plate on the bottom of the pedal. My
    Odyssey JCs have 8 pins on each pedal surface; these pins dig into
    whatever I'm pedal grabbing (concrete, wood, etc.) and actually give me
    more grip than if I'm using a pinless pedal.

    One advantage to using rubber might be if you don't want to mark up
    whatever you're pedal grabbing. My pedal's pins have definitely
    scarred a few picnic benches in the past... :eek:

    --
    maestro8

    Groucho Marx

  9. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

    it was just a thought

    --
    trials_uni

    You can't get up and try it again if you don't fall first.
    -Phil
    'Check Out my Newbie Guide' (http://tinyurl.com/99yez) <---new more
    informative post go now! edited today!
    Also Join the 'Unicyclist Roster'
    (http://ecstasy.winternet.com/roster/index.php?) and meet other
    unicyclists in your area!
    Make Your Own 'Juggling Clubs!' (http://www.crazytieguy.com/clubs.htm)

  10. markf

    markf Guest

    it might make learning easier by softening the landing. i that was a
    hard part of me in learning. now that i can stick them pretty
    constently it's not a problem and might just get in the way. can't hurt
    to try though, right?

    --
    markf

    stuck in iowa and unemployed.
    markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

  11. koebwil

    koebwil Guest

  12. This isn't "new technology." It's been thought of, tried, and generally
    rejected.

    I use this on the very rare occasions where I know I will be practicing
    pedalgrabs onto handrails. Otherwise it's completely useless and
    actually reduces grip, especially for pedalgrabs into wood. I take a
    scrap of innertube and tie it around the bottom of one pedal. Knobbies
    are stupid, and would only reduce grip and get in the way. If the
    knobbies don't make impressions in the material they grip, they will
    reduce grip, not increase it.

    Pedalgrabs (especially 1st part) are one of the easiest trials skills
    there are. Why would you waste time making unicycle parts in vain
    attempts to make them easier? The time would be better spent
    practicing.

    Who makes an SN of trials_uni if they don't have a trials uni?

    --
    gerblefranklin

    Nick's main man.

    "I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
    there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex

  13. markf

    markf Guest

    it is a fairly easy skill to learn. for me though, it took a few weeks
    of not very serious practice to get them consistantly, maybe 4 rides a
    week, 1 hour per ride, maybe 20 pedal grab attempts. landing just the
    pedal and stay on the uni was quite hard for me, but once i got it,
    getting up to rubber was really easy.