Pedal Grinding a Unicycle

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by madmattunipro, Sep 7, 2005.

  1. Whenever I try grinding my pedals just dig in to the cement or metal.
    What type of pedals should I use, or can I modify my Wellgo B-36
    platforms to grind?

    I noticed that Dan Doerkson(Universe 2) has white somethings on the
    bottom of his pedals. I can crank stall well, so I would like to try
    grinding.

    --
    madmattunipro
    madmattunipro's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10763

  2. Evan Byrne

    Evan Byrne Guest

    they are called grind plates, i would sugjest getting some oddessey
    jimmy Cs and taking out the pins on one side, or if you want to go the
    pricey route, you can buy some snafus and go to
    danscomp>Bikeparts>Pedals>Kammando grind plate and put those on your
    snafus, thats what i have and they slide well.

    --
    Evan Byrne - I Bc.

    -Last edited by litldude2 on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 PM -
    Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

  3. munimanpete

    munimanpete Guest

    If your pedals have removable pins just remove all the pins on one side
    of the pedal you want to grind on. This is what I do and it works well.
    Also try waxing up the ledge or whatever your trying to grind to make it
    slide more easily.

    Or yeah you could buy or make grind plates. They're fairly easy to make
    - there are instructions on mine and Andrew's website -
    www.unicycle.2ya.com on the 'Street Skills' page.
    Hope this helps.
    Peter

    --
    munimanpete - the unicycling kiwi

    WWW.MUNIMAN.2YA.COM

    *www.unicycle.2ya.com*
    munimanpete's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6311

  4. onetrack

    onetrack Guest

  5. fexnix

    fexnix Guest

  6. unifreak7

    unifreak7 Guest

    I agree with the plastic pedals, but it depends on your style. Metal
    pedals would slow down my flip tricks far too much, so i just stick with
    plastic, they slide well, and are light, and fliptrick"able".

    Shaun Johanneson

    --
    unifreak7 - Flip, Spin, and Grind

    Now starting to get good!
    unifreak7's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6137

  7. I hate plastic pedals. Snow, rain, or any kind of moisture makes them
    slipery and annoying. Plastic doesn't last as long as metal, and
    considering I have destroyed two pedal bearings in my aluminum
    platforms, I don't think plastick would take the abuse.

    --
    madmattunipro
    madmattunipro's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10763

  8. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    metal pedals < plastic pedals < plastic grind plates on metal pedals.

    just grinding on normal metal platform pedals is not all that easy.
    plastic pedals definitely make it easier to grind on, but they're
    slippery when wet, and generally very weak, no good for big drops.
    metal pedals with plastic grind plates are the bestest though.

    --
    James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

    give a man a fire, he's warm for an hour. light a man on fire, and he's
    warm for life.

    michael atkinson
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    president of the mris

    -last edited by forrestunifreak on 2005-09-05 at 4:23 pm-

  9. abbabibble

    abbabibble Guest

    hmm... plastic grind pedals...

    TO THE GARAGE!!! i GOTS to have some cheap crap i can use on some grind
    plates...

    --
    abbabibble - uhh...

    Cheers,
    Mat.
    -----------------------
    "1% of the people on the planet can ride a uni. The other 99% can only
    wonder why we would do it."

    -someone on this forum, and onewheeljoe. (unknown person, please PM me
    if you said this, so you can get credit for this great quote.)

    --Uh, yes i ride this everywhere. Why don't I have a car? Because i
    spend all my money on unicycles...
    abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

  10. The Munieer

    The Munieer Guest

    Hey,

    How does a pedal with a grind plate on it do when you do pedal grabs.
    Do you slip off the ledge or whatever with the grind plate mounted
    compared to using a pedal without a grindplate?

    --
    The Munieer - One for the...Off Road

    Rod Wylie - For Contact - DO NOT PM
    Email me at rswylie(at)aol(dot)com

    'MountainUnicyclingLA.com' (http://www.mountainunicycling.us)
    'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Greater-Los-Angeles-Trails)
    'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'
    (http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn)

    The Munieer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/736

  11. onetrack

    onetrack Guest

    The Munieer wrote:
    > *Do you slip off the ledge with the grind plate mounted more than you
    > would using a pedal without a grindplate? *

    yes

    --
    onetrack - Stair Master

    "People over here have a dangerous habit of adding quotes to signature
    lines."
    -Klaas Bil
    onetrack's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6374

  12. The Munieer wrote:
    > *Hey,
    >
    > How does a pedal with a grind plate on it do when you do pedal grabs.
    > Do you slip off the ledge with the grind plate mounted more than you
    > would using a pedal without a grindplate? *

    That depends on the pedal grabbing surface. If you pedal grab on a
    large, flat, relativly rough (IE not smooth) surface, it wont matter. If
    you PG on a smooth slippery surface, you might slide around a bit, but
    not too much. If you PG on a rail or similar small landing surface, you
    might slip off the other side.

    I do all of the above on my grind plate, but my grindplate is made of
    tin, and bends around the P.G.ing surface. (Inotherwords my plate
    sucks.)

    --
    forrestunifreak - The buck stops here.

    'seattle bike supply' (http://www.seattlebikesupply.com)
    'pryme gear' (http://www.prymegear.com) 'torker'
    (http://www.torkerusa.com)
    'kenda tires' (http://www.kendausa.com)
    team YAMS member..

    - last edited by nobody in particular on 2005-10-5 at 3:58pm -

  13. abbabibble

    abbabibble Guest

    umm, this may be off topic, but ah... instead of waxing your grind
    surface, couldnt you just wax your pedal? or has someone tried that
    already and failed miserably?

    --
    abbabibble - uhh...

    Cheers,
    Mat.
    -----------------------
    "1% of the people on the planet can ride a uni. The other 99% can only
    wonder why we would do it."

    -someone on this forum, and onewheeljoe. (unknown person, please PM me
    if you said this, so you can get credit for this great quote.)

    --Uh, yes i ride this everywhere. Why don't I have a car? Because i
    spend all my money on unicycles...
    abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

  14. fcwegnm0b

    fcwegnm0b Guest

    forrestunifreak wrote:
    > *relativly rough (IE not smooth)*

    :p

    --
    fcwegnm0b - HammerTron

    "You build a wood contraception that slides over it and has a removable
    pin at the top to keep it in place" - carsonpalooza

    "o yeah how do i change that thing under my name that says i dont know
    how to change this?" - habbywall

    fcwegnm0b's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8357

  15. onetrack

    onetrack Guest

    abbabibble wrote:
    > *umm, this may be off topic, but ah... instead of waxing your grind
    > surface, couldnt you just wax your pedal? or has someone tried that
    > already and failed miserably? *

    seems like all threads that mentiond grinding get off topic sooner or
    later, not that it maters.

    I used to wax up my pedal and crank, but decided that it was a waste of
    time. I only usually wax the concrete. If you're lucky, skaters have
    already waxed and broken the ledge in (fresh, unmolested concrete sucks
    for grinding).

    --
    onetrack - Stair Master

    "People over here have a dangerous habit of adding quotes to signature
    lines."
    -Klaas Bil
    onetrack's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6374

  16. onetrack

    onetrack Guest

  17. onetrack wrote:
    > *seems like all threads that mention grinding get off topic sooner or
    > later, not that it maters.
    >
    > I used to wax up my pedal and crank, but decided that it was a waste
    > of time. I only usually wax the concrete. If you're lucky, skaters
    > have already waxed and broken the ledge in (fresh, unmolested concrete
    > sucks for grinding). *

    A lot of threads do.

    Im curious, why did you decide that it was a waste of time? Seems like
    it would work...

    fcwegnm0b wrote:
    > *:p *

    ;)

    --
    forrestunifreak - The buck stops here.

    'seattle bike supply' (http://www.seattlebikesupply.com)
    'pryme gear' (http://www.prymegear.com) 'torker'
    (http://www.torkerusa.com)
    'kenda tires' (http://www.kendausa.com)
    team YAMS member..

    - last edited by nobody in particular on 2005-10-5 at 3:58pm -

  18. *sorry, kammando, not komodo.