Pedal Help

jimbokez

Jul 30, 2013
I managed to break my leg just over 3 months ago and have recently invested in my first road bike to help on the way back to fitness. Have ridden MTB's for a long time but dont really know much about road bikes at all. I have bought a specialized allez as I read that it was a good beginners bike and I got it second hand quite cheap, the only problem being it has clipless pedals on it.

Obviously due to the weakness of my leg I dont think I am ready to be clipped in just yet so just wanted some advice as to what cheap pair of flat pedals I could buy to get me through till I'm ready?

Any advice appreciated thanks

jimbokez said:
I managed to break my leg just over 3 months ago and have recently invested in my first road bike to help on the way back to fitness. Have ridden MTB's for a long time but dont really know much about road bikes at all. I have bought a specialized allez as I read that it was a good beginners bike and I got it second hand quite cheap, the only problem being it has clipless pedals on it.  Obviously due to the weakness of my leg I dont think I am ready to be clipped in just yet so just wanted some advice as to what cheap pair of flat pedals I could buy to get me through till I'm ready? Any advice appreciated thanks
can you post a picture of those pedals, maybe we could guide you to set them as loose as possible for disengage,

Well something like this should get the job done: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1033474_-1_400937__400937

Realistically you should be able to walk into any neighborhood bike shop and buy an inexpensive set of platform pedals for your road bike. Just make sure they they have 9/16" threads which is standard on all modern bikes except kids bikes and some cheap department store bikes.

You could also go with a really loose setting on clipless pedals as suggested above or go with something like Crank Brothers Candy pedals that don't have a tension adjustment but are really easy to get out of with almost no resistance to swinging your heel out. A lot of folks ride MTB pedals like this on the road, I use their Eggbeaters for cyclocross and for wet winter season road riding and they're plenty secure yet very easy to get into and back out of.

-Dave

Thanks for the help guys I was completely unaware that you could even adjust the pedals to make clipping in and out easier. Cant currently get a photo of the pedals because the bike is stashed away and locked up at the moment. With regards to the flat pedals I will look at around for 9/16" threaded ones and I think I might be able to salvage some from another bike in the shed.

Hello Jim, I have the Crank Brothers Candy 3 pedals on my road bike and they are super easy to get out of. Just a slight twist and your foot will come right out. They are technically mtb pedals so if you go that route make sure you buy the correct shoes. I have the Giro Carbides and find them very comfortable and easy to walk on.