Pedal powered BMW, apparently

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just Zis Guy, Feb 5, 2003.

  1. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    New bent rider online <http://www.bentrideronline.com/> with a review of the Stinger (which pretty
    much agrees with my views on it, I'm pleased to say). But calling it a BMW? Maybe that explains why
    I can exceed the speed limit with impunity and park where I like!

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

    Tags:

  2. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    > New bent rider online <http://www.bentrideronline.com/> with a review of the Stinger (which pretty
    > much agrees with my views on it, I'm pleased to say). But calling it a BMW? Maybe that explains
    > why I can exceed the speed limit with impunity and park where I like!

    Is that why you've gone for the new lighting system, so you can sit on anothers back wheel flashing
    madly when they impede your progress? :)

    Pete

  3. Simon Galgut

    Simon Galgut Guest

    > New bent rider online <http://www.bentrideronline.com/> with a review of the Stinger (which pretty
    > much agrees with my views on it, I'm pleased to say). But calling it a BMW? Maybe that explains
    > why I can exceed the speed limit with impunity and park where I like!

    Do we know the Guy Chapmen (sic) mentioned in the article ??

    Regards Simon

  4. "Simon Galgut" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Do we know the Guy Chapmen (sic) mentioned in the article ??

    One of them is more than enough, thank you.

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Simon Galgut wrote:

    > Do we know the Guy Chapmen (sic) mentioned in the article ??

    We don't think so ;-)

    --
    Guy
    ===

  6. Steve McGinty <[email protected]_DOT_.com> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > You could have a Porsche instead:
    >
    > http://www.totalbike.com/news/article/18/

    Wasn't there a mountain bike marketed under the BMW name (think they had a lot of input on the
    design side, but it was made under licence)? Mercedes-Benz may also have done something similar, and
    Ferrari are well known for their collaborations with Colnago.

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  7. [email protected] (David E. Belcher) writes:
    > Steve McGinty <[email protected]_DOT_.com> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > > You could have a Porsche instead: http://www.totalbike.com/news/article/18/
    >
    > Wasn't there a mountain bike marketed under the BMW name (think they had a lot of input on the
    > design side, but it was made under licence)?

    Looks like it: http://www.modern-models.com/mai39159.htm (Though that's just a model).

    I've seen an Audi Quattro bike (on a roofrack on display at a local Audi dealer). In spite of the
    name, it didn't have four wheel drive :)

    > Mercedes-Benz may also have done something similar,
    Including an electric-assisted model: http://www.voltage-ev.com/Mercedes/

    And Pashley do a Land Rover Moulton http://www.pashley.co.uk/apb/products/pages/apb_page.htm

  8. Alan Braggins <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (David E. Belcher) writes:
    > > Steve McGinty <[email protected]_DOT_.com> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > >
    > > > You could have a Porsche instead: http://www.totalbike.com/news/article/18/
    > >
    > > Wasn't there a mountain bike marketed under the BMW name (think they had a lot of input on the
    > > design side, but it was made under licence)?
    >
    > Looks like it: http://www.modern-models.com/mai39159.htm (Though that's just a model).
    >
    > I've seen an Audi Quattro bike (on a roofrack on display at a local Audi dealer). In spite of the
    > name, it didn't have four wheel drive :)

    More bike/luxury car crossovers - Lamborghini were allegedly sub-contracted to build some of the
    Speedwell (makers of the first commercial Ti frame) titanium bikes in the early '70s. And Reynolds
    531 tubes were apparently used in the engine mountings of the E-Type Jag! Oh, and before I forget,
    I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned a certain Mr. Boardman and his Lotus yet....

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  9. Rory

    Rory Guest

    [email protected] (David E. Belcher) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Steve McGinty <[email protected]_DOT_.com> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > > You could have a Porsche instead:
    > >
    > > http://www.totalbike.com/news/article/18/
    > >

    > Wasn't there a mountain bike marketed under the BMW name (think they had a lot of input on the
    > design side, but it was made under licence)? Mercedes-Benz may also have done something similar,
    > and Ferrari are well known for their collaborations with Colnago.

    Yeah, and Porsche do a range of over-priced crap as well. The great thing about bikes is that it
    doesn't really make much difference how much you paid, or what name is on it, it's only going to go
    as fast as you can pedal it. Ah, spring is coming, and the hills will be alive with shining and/or
    carbon overpriced full-sus mountain bikes - it makes all those cold dark morning starts worthwhile
    passing this lot out, on a city bike with mudguards and topbox... Whaddya mean they are bikers too?
    As of this morning, they were still clogging up the roads in their Lard Rovers!

  10. David E. Belcher <[email protected]> wrote
    > More bike/luxury car crossovers - Lamborghini were allegedly sub-contracted to build some of the
    > Speedwell (makers of the first commercial Ti frame) titanium bikes in the early '70s. And Reynolds
    > 531 tubes were apparently used in the engine mountings of the E-Type Jag! Oh, and before I forget,
    > I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned a certain Mr. Boardman and his Lotus yet....

    remids me of my last but one tour of Spain -- piled out the bar after lunch on the last day to find
    a Lamborghini parked outside ........ a great big tractor !

    Andrew