pedal problem

cgior80c

Jun 3, 2012
I have a new set of shimano rd540 pedals. The problem that I am having is on the drive side of the bike the pedal is screwed in tight but there is still a lot of play in the pedal, it is wobbly, where the pedal meets the crank arm. Is the crank arm bad or can it simply be fixed by getting another washer that goes between the pedal and the bolt and crank arm?

How old are the cranks?

Also note that the threads on the pedals are not the same - the right has a "normal" thread, while the left is "reversed". You might have damaged the threads when trying to screw the pedals in.

I think I pretty much found the problem. The threaded housing that the pedal goes into on the crank arm is loose. I was able to stick my finger in it and move it around. Anyone ever replaced this before, can it be replaced?

I never saw a threaded housing for the pedal on a crank arm. Customarily, the pedal screws directly into the crank arm.

A photo of the situation would help immensely.

Originally Posted by cgior80c .

I think I pretty much found the problem. The threaded housing that the pedal goes into on the crank arm is loose. I was able to stick my finger in it and move it around. Anyone ever replaced this before, can it be replaced?
Sounds like you have carbon fiber cranks, which tend to have metal inserts for the threads. That's a tough fix. My gut reaction is to discard those cranks, it's a highly stressed joint, and it'd be hard to get a glue to fill the gap.
You'd pretty much have to pull the insert out, clean up the surfaces, apply a glue, maybe some CF/FG flock, then reinsert while retaining the correct alignment.

If you can't pull it out, a crude fix would be to dribble a runny version of superglue into the gap and try to get it to wick/work its way in.
A high-tech version, but crude technique, would be to rig a vacuum pump to pull a casting epoxy through the failed joint, and then cure at an elevated temperature.

Originally Posted by dabac .

Sounds like you have carbon fiber cranks, which tend to have metal inserts for the threads.
Yes, I think he does. Saw his post with the title "Wickwerks crankset and rings" posted yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgior80c .

Does anyone have any experience with the wickwerks crankset and rings. I am looking to purchase a 53/39t to replace my fsa k force crank that is worn out.

Indeed, the metal threads may have come loose off the carbon crank.

yes I currently have an fsa k force carbon crank. It is the metal insert that is loose.I may try and fix it and use the crank as a spare. It is not currently hindering my riding but don't know how long it will last.

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Also note that the threads on the pedals are not the same - the right has a "normal" thread, while the left is "reversed".You might have damaged the threads when trying to screw the pedals in[/COLOR]

The problem has been fixed. I had to get a new crank. I called fsa regarding the warranty and told them what the problem was. I was told that my crank was past the warranty and that there was not really a way to fix the problem. The problem was the housing in the carbon crank arm where the pedal screws into worked itself loose.

I have SRAM Force Carbon Fiber Cranks and I'm experiencing the same problem. The metal insert for the crank thread has come lose and there is quite a bit of play in the crank. I am a heavier rider, 210 lbs and have had the bike for over 5 years. I've never had this happen before so it makes me a bit leary of buying carbon fiber cranks...

I got it fixed. I put some gorilla super glue in the gap. 500 miles and still holding.