pedal questions

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by jakalapa, Jul 10, 2010.

1. jakalapa

jakalapa New Member

Purchased '09 Allez Elite one month ago. It came with, what seem to be cheap pedals. They are black plastic with toe clips. I'd like to upgrade but I have no idea what to look for. I ride about 130 miles per week for fitness (hard, fast riding). My cycling shoes are Nike Kato - no cleats. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    jakalapa

Tags:

2. tafi

tafi Member

Nike Katos are MTB shoes so you can go with any MTB pedal system. The most afforadble ones seem to be the Shimano SPD types, and they provide ease of entrty and exit and double sided capacity. Ask at your local Bike shop.

3. PeterF

PeterF New Member

130 miles a week is not insignificant (good job)and you may want to look into road shoes/pedals. Road shoes are lighter and stiffer providing better energy transfer and efficiency. Not easy or fun to walk in, but that's up to you to determine if that's a priority. For me, my riding consists of walking the bike out of the back door to the driveway (about 30 feet total on concrete and lawn) or an occasional nature break. On pedals, there are a few styles. If you want to keep the MTB shoes, Shimano makes a nice MTB pedal but I'd look at crank bros too. I use Candy C's on my MTB and I believe they were only $50.

4. quenya

quenya New Member

Tomorrow is the Fresno Cycling Club's tollhouse TT.

Tollhouse is one of our more daunting local climbs, 6.60 miles avg >7% with a 3/4 mile wall right at the end that cranks up to 13-15%. Certainly not the longest or steepest but because it's right in my back yard, about 35 miles from my door it is my staple hard climb and I've ridden it in some good times. I've never done it as a TT though.

I really don't know how to pace the climb. Normally during a TT that will take less than an hour I would try for a steady FTP or just above, but since the 3/4 mile wall at the end can add a lot of time I feel like I should have a reserve when I hit it. I'm starting near the end of the group, with only 2 riders expected to be faster than me. The gentleman leaving 1 minute behind me may be faster, though I had a 30-40 second gap last weekend when we climbed it so I doubt he'll catch me on the road, but behind him is one of the really fast local racers and had the fastest time in this years climb to kaiser, Im really dreading the possibility of being caught on the road. I know during other tt's I get a boost passing my minute man and his, but since there is that section at the top I'm reluctant to up the pace regardless of how I feel at the time.

Any wisdom out there to share?

5. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

Don't forget the substantial flat and fast section before the final wall.

My best Tollhouse times came from riding a steady but not aggressive start, ramping it up and working very hard up till the fast stretch, rolling but recovering a bit there and then nailing the finish with everything left. This was many years ago and predates power meters (or wristwatch HRMs) but the effort should feel solid and probably near FTP for the initial climb. The two biggest mistakes you can make are not pacing the start or trying to gain too much time in the flat section up high right before the final wall, you should roll that section quickly of course but it should be at or ideally a bit below your target power for the entire climb so you can hit the last section really hard.

IIRC, your best time to date is in the mid 30s for Tollhouse. What's your current MMP for that duration? Starting out there or a few watts below there till you settle in is a good start to pacing.

-Dave

6. quenya

quenya New Member

Dave, thanks that makes sense using that flatter stretch to recover a little bit before the wall.

I don't have a power measuring device, I use HR and RPE but I've done Tollhouse enough times that I think I can pace it well. I hate to admit I think you or I made a typo, I'm in the low to mid forties for Tollhouse, but I've always done it as a part of an 80 mile ride often with other major climbs on the same day, my main concern is pouring out a days effort into a 6.60 mile ride. And it would help a ton if I didn't have insomnia tonight.

On a side note I welcomed a PARLEE Z4 into the family today.

7. quenya

quenya New Member

Well and truly tested.

The Tollhouse TT was this morning and It went great. The mood was light and everyone was cheering off the riders as they left. I started 3rd from last and caught maybe half the field. I don't think Tollhouse ever allows for a no chain day but... it was a great ride. I was caught by the last guy to start on the rolling section before the fire station he built a fair gap too, but I closed it on the last section where the grade kicks up for 3/4 of a mile.

I ended up 2nd, in 38:49
    1st was 36:29.

At the time I was so disheartened being passed until at the top I retched a bit, didn't puke, but realized I gave it as close to 100% as I could, there simply wasn't another 21 seconds in my body. And, I put in a new PB!

8. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

Nicely done! That's a smoking time for that climb.

-Dave

9. quenya

quenya New Member

Thanks Dave. I hated to let him go as he passed me but it was on the section where I needed to recover, and I think that I hit the steepest part strong so in the end my initial plan(or your plan Dave) worked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChzQPqwCudY

Here is a video my buddy took near the top. 'big Joe' (dark blue and black kit trek madone) is Joe Galloway who finished with the fastest time, I'm the next joe (booth) in the CVC jersey on the Parlee.

10. kopride

kopride Member

Nice job. On my bucket-cycling list is a grand tour of the whole central valley. Looks like a great test, but I can't say it looked fun. We have similar climbs in PA as you head up and over roads that cross the Appalachian trail, but my local area is a lot more rolling. Almost 40 minutes of pain is tough no matter where you do it.

11. quenya

quenya New Member

Thanks Kopride.

A grand tour of the central valley is a great idea but, I would not want to have to devise that route. There is so much and I'd hate to leave anything out.

12. kopride

kopride Member

Individually, we have all ridden some great rides and our NorCal transplant among us is always pushing for a week out in the Central Valley. We'll see. Our East Coast version is a Skyline Drive tour in Virginia and some of the Southern states. We have a group that has been heading out to Moab of years for some Mt Biking, but we are planning on making it a skinny tire tour next year. (Some of us have done epic rides in CO but the altitude is rough for a week vacation). And Tuscany and the Tour de France course are on the short list as well. Individually, we have all ridden some great rides and our NorCal transplant among us is always pushing for a week out in the Central Valley. We'll see. When I was young, I had lots of time but no money. Now most of us can scrape the money together but time becomes the bigger issue. Actually this topic is great for a new thread.

But for us, finding a 6 mile climb locally is a tough order. Being so close to a great climb is a great bonus. Our area is brutally punishingly rolling, with 5-8 minute climbs followed by quick descents and another hill right after, but we don't get those really long climbs where you can get in a zone and work for 30 plus minutes. Of course, our friends on the totally flat Jersey Shore act like our area is CO when they come out for weekend rides.

13. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

... you could start out by leaving out Turlock. :p

14. quenya

quenya New Member

God probably ought to have left out Turlock...

15. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

That was Gods intention...
    ... but the Devil put it on the map just to p1ss him off ;)

I vote for Prop 666. Level Turlock and turn it into a huge solar power plant that'd be designed in such a way that not even the NIMBY's could complain.