Pedal recommendation

pudge44

Jul 14, 2005
Hi. I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice on pedals.

I'm a relative beginner cyclist -- I bought a Trek 7200 hybrid last summer to get into better shape and have taking 15-20 mile rides once or twice every weekend since, with one metric century under my belt for good measure.

I think I'm finally ready to upgrade from the standard plastic platform pedals to either clips or clipless. Since I'm strictly a recreation cyclist at this point, I don't want to break the bank. Would it be smarter for me to try clips first, and then graduate to clipless/shoes? From what I've read, it seems like clipless/shoe combo is the way to go. Is it possible to get a decent set (functional, not high performance) of pedals and shoes for around $100 US?

Any advice, shopping suggestions, etc., would be appreciated. I've got a pretty good LBS, so I figure I should start there, but I know I can get much better prices online. I just don't want to buy shoes online before I've tried them on.

Thanks!

I am also new to this site, but think I can help. I have two bicycles, one is a cross (Novara Corsa) and the other is a Road Litespeed. The Cross I use for commuting to work and have toe clips (not straps), that makes it easier going up hills (I have a 500' hill to climb). The Litespeed has clipless, Crank Bros Candy C. The toe clip cost about $15 and regular shoes are ok, this is the cheapest, quickest and easiest to start.

As for the clipless, I started using these about 18 months ago. They are much for efficient. I started cheap by purchasing Nashbar Ventoux for about $40 (they are currently on sale for $30) and cheap Adidas shoes for an additional $30. I did fall three times clipped in before I got efficient. I have since upgraded to Sidi Shoes ($120) and the Candy C clip ($25 I got at a return sale at REI). I am very glad I switched to the clipless system, but it is more expensive and does take some to get comfortable with unclipping. I still use the Novara and will keep the toe clips on that bike.

buckybux said:
As for the clipless, I started using these about 18 months ago. They are much for efficient. I started cheap by purchasing Nashbar Ventoux for about $40 (they are currently on sale for $30) and cheap Adidas shoes for an additional $30. I did fall three times clipped in before I got efficient. I have since upgraded to Sidi Shoes ($120) and the Candy C clip ($25 I got at a return sale at REI). I am very glad I switched to the clipless system, but it is more expensive and does take some to get comfortable with unclipping. I still use the Novara and will keep the toe clips on that bike.
Thanks for your reply and please excuse the newbie follow-up. Looking at those Nashbar Ventoux, it doesn't say what type of cleats they accomodate. Is SPD the standard? In other words, if it doesn't say, can I assume that any SPD shoe will work with those pedals?

Thanks again.

NO!!! The Nashbar Ventoux is a "Look" style pedal, and the Look clips work on the pedals. The "look" style has a large platform and gives a much increased feeling of stability, which a lot of riders prefer. The SPD (my new Crank Bros Candy C are these) is a much smaller two screw plate. I have lost the benefit of the stability, but no longer have the squeak so common in the "look" style.

I just responded to the Email, so if this duplicates, sorry.

--Jeff