Pedal recommendation

timinator

Mar 18, 2008
Hi, my new road bike came with Wellgo "Look" style pedals which I hear are very low-end pedals. I'm considering upgrading and would like to know are there any decent road pedals under $100.00. I'm would classify myself as a recreational rider.

thanks
Tim

timinator said:
Hi, my new road bike came with Wellgo "Look" style pedals which I hear are very low-end pedals. I'm considering upgrading and would like to know are there any decent road pedals under $100.00. I'm would classify myself as a recreational rider.

thanks
Tim

Speedplay Zero with a chrom-moly spindle-$115..close, nice pedals, 2 sided, very serviceable, adjustable float.

Tim,

I have ridden look, speedplay and time and like the Look keo best.

Same technology as the high end pedal - the Classic is $ 99 and includes the new Keo no slip cleat.

http://www.glorycycles.com/lokeoclpe.html

timinator said:

thanks
Tim

timinator said:

thanks
Tim
Hey Tim - others are giving you excellent options for pedals. If I were going to get new road pedals and cleats, I'd give Speedplay a real good look.

I just want to say that just because the Wellgo pedals are probably cheap in cost doesn't mean they won't work well and be of reasonable weight. I have had excellent service from a pair of generic pedals (either Wellgo or Nashbar house brand; can't remember it's been so long) and they have worked perfectly for many, many years. I keep telling myself I will replace them with higher quality pedals, but both in terms of weight and function, I have no reason to. I don't think they're any heavier than name brand similar pedals and I can't see how another pedal would actually work better. It might look better, but my experience is that after a while they all look pretty beat up anyway.

So far, at least with SPD pedals, I haven't figured out what the deficiency is with generic ones (like Wellgo). There may be a weight difference with higher end pedals (or may not - look on weightweenies.starbike.com). There definitely can be aesthetic differences (which I don't disparage at all!) but I just haven't figured out a functional deficiency with the cheaper ones. I could be wrong though, having never owned top of the line pedals and am open to new knowledge.

Camilo said:
Hey Tim - others are giving you excellent options for pedals. If I were going to get new road pedals and cleats, I'd give Speedplay a real good look.

I just want to say that just because the Wellgo pedals are probably cheap in cost doesn't mean they won't work well and be of reasonable weight. I have had excellent service from a pair of generic pedals (either Wellgo or Nashbar house brand; can't remember it's been so long) and they have worked perfectly for many, many years. I keep telling myself I will replace them with higher quality pedals, but both in terms of weight and function, I have no reason to. I don't think they're any heavier than name brand similar pedals and I can't see how another pedal would actually work better. It might look better, but my experience is that after a while they all look pretty beat up anyway.

So far, at least with SPD pedals, I haven't figured out what the deficiency is with generic ones (like Wellgo). There may be a weight difference with higher end pedals (or may not - look on weightweenies.starbike.com). There definitely can be aesthetic differences (which I don't disparage at all!) but I just haven't figured out a functional deficiency with the cheaper ones. I could be wrong though, having never owned top of the line pedals and am open to new knowledge.
My MB has Shimano pedals, don't know the model, but they are close to low end, the road bike has Ultegras. I don't think one has a great advantage over the other. As said, after a while they are pretty much beat up!

Camilo said:
I just want to say that just because the Wellgo pedals are probably cheap in cost doesn't mean they won't work well and be of reasonable weight.
I second that pitch for inexpensive pedals. I've been using a set of Performance Forte pedals for about 10 years and I just bought a set for a second bike. As far as I can tell, the main advantage of Keo over Delta is weight and stack height.

I am very partial to my Campagnolo pedals. Great, awesome reliability, and the bling, of course. And not that many people ride them (I do not know why...).

Pedal choice is like seat choice and bibs choice: it's all personal. If you're already on a Look style cleat, and you're comfortable with that type of system, then you might want to stay with it. Look Keos are nice, and the ones at the lower end of the range are great and affordable. Shimano pedals are also great (and similar to Look), Dura Ace Pedals are pricey, but Ultegra pedals are reasonable.

If you want to try a different system, you really can't go wrong with any system. Speedplay, Time, and Crank Brothers all make fine pedals.

I've been using Speedplay for a bit over 5 years, having switched from Look. I like the float better with Speedplay, and clipping in is a doddle since you can clip in to either side of the pedal.

I love LOOK. Been riding some variant of them for years now. I too would recommend LOOK Keo pedals - maybe the lower end model so it fit your price range. Like others have said though, its pretty much a subjective thing per rider. Hopefully you have a shop nearby where you can go at least look at, and possibly test ride some.

As Zepp and Alienator have said, pedals are very personal. Also keep in mind that, apart from weight and float options some models make it easier for you to walk when off the bike, so this may be a consideration...