Pedal Reflectors in the UK - a little off topic

Pete Bradbury

Guest
A change in UK cycling law I believe, requires reflectors to be on
pedals, so far I've not been able to find anyone who can supply them,
after the push fit on my pedals dropped off.

Indeed 2 dealers I visited admit that they dispose of them when
working on bikes.

Anyone know of a supplier in the UK?

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 19:12:44 +0100, Pete Bradbury
<[email protected]> wrote:

>A change in UK cycling law I believe, requires reflectors to be on
>pedals, so far I've not been able to find anyone who can supply them,
>after the push fit on my pedals dropped off.
>
> Indeed 2 dealers I visited admit that they dispose of them when
>working on bikes.
>
>Anyone know of a supplier in the UK?

Don't know if this will help, but you might try reflective tape, or
stickers.

Just put them in the area where the reflector originally was.

Just a guess...

tom

On 2006-06-25, Tom The Great <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 19:12:44 +0100, Pete Bradbury
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>A change in UK cycling law I believe, requires reflectors to be on
>>pedals, so far I've not been able to find anyone who can supply them,
>>after the push fit on my pedals dropped off.
>>
>> Indeed 2 dealers I visited admit that they dispose of them when
>>working on bikes.
>>
>>Anyone know of a supplier in the UK?

> Don't know if this will help, but you might try reflective tape, or
> stickers.
>
> Just put them in the area where the reflector originally was.
>
> Just a guess...
>
> tom

This came up on uk.rec.cycling not too long ago. IIRC pedal
reflectors have been mandated for ages and there hasn't been a new
change requiring them. Given that front and rear reflector regulations
(or *spit* pavement [read sidewalk for USians] cycling) aren't enforced
it's very unlikely that anybody will object to not being able to see two
mud spattered yellow reflectors on your pedals if you've proper front
and rear lights.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.cycling/search?q=pedal+reflector&start=0&scoring=d&
for a google groups thread search with several clueful people chiming
in.
--
Tim.

[email protected]

Tim Izod wrote:
> On 2006-06-25, Tom The Great <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 19:12:44 +0100, Pete Bradbury
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>A change in UK cycling law I believe, requires reflectors to be on
>>>pedals, so far I've not been able to find anyone who can supply them,
>>>after the push fit on my pedals dropped off.
>>>
>>> Indeed 2 dealers I visited admit that they dispose of them when
>>>working on bikes.
>>>
>>>Anyone know of a supplier in the UK?

>>Don't know if this will help, but you might try reflective tape, or
>>stickers.
>>
>>Just put them in the area where the reflector originally was.
>>
>>Just a guess...
>>
>>tom

> This came up on uk.rec.cycling not too long ago. IIRC pedal
> reflectors have been mandated for ages and there hasn't been a new
> change requiring them. Given that front and rear reflector regulations
> (or *spit* pavement [read sidewalk for USians] cycling) aren't enforced
> it's very unlikely that anybody will object to not being able to see two
> mud spattered yellow reflectors on your pedals if you've proper front
> and rear lights.
>
> http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.cycling/search?q=pedal+reflector&start=0&scoring=d&
> for a google groups thread search with several clueful people chiming
> in.

How would you even attempt to fit refelctors onto crank bros candys?
Nowhere for them to mount. I eblieve that bikes HAVE to have reflectors
on front and back, pedals and wheels when sold.

On 2006-06-25, David Waters <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tim Izod wrote:

[snip]
>> This came up on uk.rec.cycling not too long ago. IIRC pedal
>> reflectors have been mandated for ages and there hasn't been a new
>> change requiring them. Given that front and rear reflector regulations
>> (or *spit* pavement [read sidewalk for USians] cycling) aren't enforced
>> it's very unlikely that anybody will object to not being able to see two
>> mud spattered yellow reflectors on your pedals if you've proper front
>> and rear lights.
>>
>> http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.cycling/search?q=pedal+reflector&start=0&scoring=d&
>> for a google groups thread search with several clueful people chiming
>> in.

> How would you even attempt to fit refelctors onto crank bros candys?
> Nowhere for them to mount. I eblieve that bikes HAVE to have reflectors
> on front and back, pedals and wheels when sold.

For that matter, most SPD pedals don't have a lot of space for
fitting reflectors and the requirement to be visible from behind cannot
be sanely met by recumbents anyway.

Annoyingly, when you try to find authoritative documentation you
find references to British Standards documents which aren't available
for free online.

If I remember I'll try to dig out the links I have found & post
them later. There are relevant bits in the construction and use
regulations from around 1985ish I think but I can't remember whether
they've been revised, how many times or when.
--
Tim.

[email protected]

Tim Izod wrote:
> On 2006-06-25, David Waters <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Tim Izod wrote:

> [snip]
>
>>> This came up on uk.rec.cycling not too long ago. IIRC pedal
>>>reflectors have been mandated for ages and there hasn't been a new
>>>change requiring them. Given that front and rear reflector regulations
>>>(or *spit* pavement [read sidewalk for USians] cycling) aren't enforced
>>>it's very unlikely that anybody will object to not being able to see two
>>>mud spattered yellow reflectors on your pedals if you've proper front
>>>and rear lights.
>>>
>>> http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.cycling/search?q=pedal+reflector&start=0&scoring=d&
>>>for a google groups thread search with several clueful people chiming
>>>in.

>>How would you even attempt to fit refelctors onto crank bros candys?
>>Nowhere for them to mount. I eblieve that bikes HAVE to have reflectors
>>on front and back, pedals and wheels when sold.

> For that matter, most SPD pedals don't have a lot of space for
> fitting reflectors and the requirement to be visible from behind cannot
> be sanely met by recumbents anyway.
>
> Annoyingly, when you try to find authoritative documentation you
> find references to British Standards documents which aren't available
> for free online.
>
> If I remember I'll try to dig out the links I have found & post
> them later. There are relevant bits in the construction and use
> regulations from around 1985ish I think but I can't remember whether
> they've been revised, how many times or when.

what are the British Standards you want to make reference to? I can get
copies.