Pedal reflectors on bents

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Danny Colyer, Mar 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Maybe I should save this until Guy gets back, but I'm sure he'll at least scan 6 weeks' worth of urc
    headers after Easter.

    I think I may have a solution to the problem of pedal reflectors on bents. As Guy has pointed out
    several times, the lighting regs state that pedal reflectors must be clearly visible to the front
    and rear. I've been through the regs and I can't find any loopholes:
    http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_2.htm

    But think of the legendary blades protruding from the hubs of Boadicea's chariot wheels. All we need
    is reflective sticks protruding from the outside of each pedal and we can be legal. Might work for
    clipless pedals on uprights, too.

    --
    Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny ) Recumbent cycle page:
    http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/ "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
    Thomas Paine
     
    Tags:


  2. John B

    John B Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:

    > Maybe I should save this until Guy gets back, but I'm sure he'll at least scan 6 weeks' worth of
    > urc headers after Easter.
    >
    > I think I may have a solution to the problem of pedal reflectors on bents. As Guy has pointed out
    > several times, the lighting regs state that pedal reflectors must be clearly visible to the front
    > and rear. I've been through the regs and I can't find any loopholes:
    > http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_2.htm
    >
    > But think of the legendary blades protruding from the hubs of Boadicea's chariot wheels. All we
    > need is reflective sticks protruding from the outside of each pedal and we can be legal. Might
    > work for clipless pedals on uprights, too.

    Won't work on my trike. Even if the blades cleared the front wheels they would need to be at
    least 18" long.

    They would look pretty all lit up tho ;-)

    John B
     
  3. Steve Watkin

    Steve Watkin Guest

    Same problem on my trike...............but then who cares! But even on a bi they would have to stick
    out beyond your body...............Too wide!!!!!

    SW

    "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Maybe I should save this until Guy gets back, but I'm sure he'll at least scan 6 weeks' worth of
    > urc headers after Easter.
    >
    > I think I may have a solution to the problem of pedal reflectors on bents. As Guy has pointed out
    > several times, the lighting regs state that pedal reflectors must be clearly visible to the front
    > and rear. I've been through the regs and I can't find any loopholes:
    > http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_2.htm
    >
    > But think of the legendary blades protruding from the hubs of Boadicea's chariot wheels. All we
    > need is reflective sticks protruding from the outside of each pedal and we can be legal. Might
    > work for clipless pedals on uprights, too.
    >
    > --
    > Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny ) Recumbent cycle page:
    > http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/ "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
    > Thomas Paine
     
  4. On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 19:27:08 +0000, Danny Colyer did issue forth:

    > I think I may have a solution to the problem of pedal reflectors on bents. As Guy has pointed out
    > several times, the lighting regs state that pedal reflectors must be clearly visible to the front
    > and rear. I've been through the regs and I can't find any loopholes:
    > http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_2.htm

    I wonder how many people in the group actually have pedal reflectors? I don't, and I doubt any
    of the other clipless users have anything apart from the bit of reflective material on the back
    of the shoe.

    Anyone ever got their collar felt by the Police over this?

    --
    Huw Pritchard Replace bounce with huw to reply by mail
     
  5. John B

    John B Guest

    Huw Pritchard wrote:

    > On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 19:27:08 +0000, Danny Colyer did issue forth:
    >
    > > I think I may have a solution to the problem of pedal reflectors on bents. As Guy has pointed
    > > out several times, the lighting regs state that pedal reflectors must be clearly visible to the
    > > front and rear. I've been through the regs and I can't find any loopholes:
    > > http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_2.htm
    >
    > I wonder how many people in the group actually have pedal reflectors? I don't, and I doubt any of
    > the other clipless users have anything apart from the bit of reflective material on the back of
    > the shoe.
    >
    > Anyone ever got their collar felt by the Police over this?

    I would doubt it.

    But given time, insurance companies are sure to latch on to a lack of reflectors as contributory
    negligence when a cyclist is hit by a motorist. they've already started with helmets.

    No hemlet, no reflectors, no reflective clothing, - you must be 50% at fault. What? No car? On a
    bike? Make that 100% at fault.

    John B
     
  6. Thus spake John B <[email protected]>

    > Huw Pritchard wrote:
    > >
    > > Anyone ever got their collar felt by the Police over this?

    > I would doubt it.

    It is only on newish (post 1986 I think) bicycles that this is a legal requirement so police are
    unlikely to go spotting absent reflectors.

    I rather like reflective ankle bands and think they do the job rather better than pedal reflectors.

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected] Edgware.
     
  7. Mike Causer

    Mike Causer Guest

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 21:31:20 +0000, Steve Watkin wrote:

    > Same problem on my trike...............but then who cares! But even on a bi they would have to
    > stick out beyond your body...............Too wide!!!!!

    Dose the law specify just at what range in front & behind they have to be visible? No. So 10cm from
    the pedal is good enough surely! No need to be visible past the body, or in the case of my Ross,
    the huuuge panniers. Getting a rear light visible past the panniers is causing me some trouble
    though :-(

    Mike
     
  8. >I wonder how many people in the group actually have pedal reflectors?

    On my trad pedals with toe clips, the pedals do have reflectors. My Look pedals don't so what I do
    when my Look pedals are on the bike I wear fluorescent & reflective yellow trouser clips even though
    I don't *need* trouser clips for the trousers, so to speak.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending a reply!

    Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
    ~~~~~~~~~~
     
  9. Tim Woodall

    Tim Woodall Guest

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 21:47:26 +0000, Mike Causer <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 21:31:20 +0000, Steve Watkin wrote:
    >
    >> Same problem on my trike...............but then who cares! But even on a bi they would have to
    >> stick out beyond your body...............Too wide!!!!!
    >
    > Dose the law specify just at what range in front & behind they have to be visible? No. So 10cm
    > from the pedal is good enough surely! No need to be visible past the body, or in the case of my
    > Ross, the huuuge panniers. Getting a rear light visible past the panniers is causing me some
    > trouble though :-(
    >
    You will have to go back and check but I'm pretty sure the bits of the lighting regs to do with
    lights being obscured only apply to motor vehicles.

    OTOH, you probably want the light to be seen, not just be legal ;-)

    Tim.

    --
    God said, "div D = rho, div B = 0, curl E = - @B/@t, curl H = J + @D/@t," and there was light.

    http://tjw.hn.org/ http://www.locofungus.btinternet.co.uk/
     
  10. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 23:51:32 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I rather like reflective ankle bands and think they do the job rather better than pedal reflectors.

    Agreed 100%, Helen.

    As I mentioned in this NG recently, neither of my bikes have reflective pedals; I have SPDs on both.
    Therefore, I always strap on my reflective ankle bands whenever I'm riding in the dark.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...