Pedal Reflectors - where from?

Josey

Guest
Can anyone tell me where I can buy pedal reflectors?

I have a couple of cateye ones - black plastic cages that screwn in then
the reflectors clips in on top. I need 2 (or 4) more.

Wiggle don't do them, or anywhere else I can find. Maybe someone has some
they'd like to sell.

Thanks.

Jc.

I have a unopened bag containing a pair of SM-PD58 Shimano Reflectors that
could go free to a good home:

Pic:
http://www.fa-technik.adfc.de/Hersteller/Shimano/S/SI-PD58D_D.pdf#search="sm-pd58"

"Josey" <nospam@josey> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can anyone tell me where I can buy pedal reflectors?
>
> I have a couple of cateye ones - black plastic cages that screwn in then
> the reflectors clips in on top. I need 2 (or 4) more.
>
> Wiggle don't do them, or anywhere else I can find. Maybe someone has some
> they'd like to sell.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jc.

It's very likely you local bike shop will have a large bag of reflectors
of all kinds, and they may even give them out for free.

Josey said:
Can anyone tell me where I can buy pedal reflectors?

I have a couple of cateye ones - black plastic cages that screwn in then
the reflectors clips in on top. I need 2 (or 4) more.

Wiggle don't do them, or anywhere else I can find. Maybe someone has some
they'd like to sell.

Thanks.

Jc.
I've a stack in the shed. Mail me and I'll send some.

Steve

> It's very likely you local bike shop will have a large bag of reflectors
> of all kinds, and they may even give them out for free.

I tried 1 of 3 today, they didn't. I'll see if I can pop round the others
tomorrow.

Jc.

"Josey" <nospam@josey> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me where I can buy pedal reflectors?
>
> I have a couple of cateye ones - black plastic cages that screwn in then
> the reflectors clips in on top. I need 2 (or 4) more.
>
> Wiggle don't do them, or anywhere else I can find. Maybe someone has some
> they'd like to sell.

Why bother, you can buy yellow reflective velcro bands for your ankles
and your wrists too, come to that. The are very effective.

I have both, but dont go out much at night these days.

--
Thanks and regards, Shane.
"A closed mouth gathers no feet!"

"Shane Badham" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Why bother, you can buy yellow reflective velcro bands for your ankles
> and your wrists too, come to that. The are very effective.

Sure, but they don't make your bike legal.

Jc.

Josey wrote:
> "Shane Badham" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>

>>Why bother, you can buy yellow reflective velcro bands for your ankles
>>and your wrists too, come to that. The are very effective.

> Sure, but they don't make your bike legal.

I am prepared to be wrong here, but I did not think it was illegal not
to have reflectors on your pedals, it is just illegal to sell bikes
without pedal reflectors.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"My God! The thought of that evil man, loose in London--with money, from
God only knows what source--fomenting riot and rebellion during a public
emergency--and in control of an Engine-driven press! It's nightmarish!"
(Gibson-Sterling, "The Difference Engine")

Don Whybrow wrote:
> I am prepared to be wrong here, but I did not think it was illegal not
> to have reflectors on your pedals, it is just illegal to sell bikes
> without pedal reflectors.

Good job you were prepared ;-)

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations (Schedule 1 Table III, leading to
Schedule 20 part I) clearly state a requirement to use pedal reflectors
on cycles manufactured from 01/10/85 onwards.

See also HC rule 46:
"At night your cycle MUST have front and rear lights lit. It MUST also
be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if
manufactured after 1/10/85)."

It's illegal to sell a complete new bike without wheel reflectors and a
front reflector, but they can be removed.

Shane Badham wrote:
>"Josey" <nospam@josey> wrote:
>
>> Can anyone tell me where I can buy pedal reflectors?
>> I have a couple of cateye ones - black plastic cages that screwn in then
>> the reflectors clips in on top. I need 2 (or 4) more.

I bought some from Howes in Cambridge, but unless you are near Cambridge
I doubt that helps. (For screwing onto a single sided clipless/platform
pedal - I haven't seen them for pure clipless pedals.)

>Why bother, you can buy yellow reflective velcro bands

i) pedal reflectors are legally required, even if the law is very unlikely
to be enforced if you are wearing reflective ankle bands and have other
lights and reflectors.
ii) pedal reflectors stay on the pedals, but the bands seem to vanish
for weeks before turning up in the back pocket of a pair of trousers
you don't remember wearing (or not turning up at all). At least mine do.

Danny Colyer wrote:
> Don Whybrow wrote:
>
>> I am prepared to be wrong here, but I did not think it was illegal not
>> to have reflectors on your pedals, it is just illegal to sell bikes
>> without pedal reflectors.

> Good job you were prepared ;-)
>
> The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations (Schedule 1 Table III, leading to
> Schedule 20 part I) clearly state a requirement to use pedal reflectors
> on cycles manufactured from 01/10/85 onwards.
>
> See also HC rule 46:
> "At night your cycle MUST have front and rear lights lit. It MUST also
> be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if
> manufactured after 1/10/85)."
>
> It's illegal to sell a complete new bike without wheel reflectors and a
> front reflector, but they can be removed.

So... how do you fit reflectors to spuds without cages?

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

After things go from bad to worse, the cycle will repeat itself.

Don Whybrow wrote:

> So... how do you fit reflectors to spuds without cages?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7233322893&category=36138>

is one solution for double sided SPDs.

...d

Don Whybrow wondered:
> So... how do you fit reflectors to spuds without cages?

I asked about this in LBS shortly after buying my first set of SPDs.
They showed me a double-sided reflector with a plastic ring atop one end
of one edge. The idea was that the ring looped over the pedal axle,
with the reflector hanging beneath the pedal. It meant that the pedal
effectively became one-sided.

I doubt that they ever sold any. I've never seen them in use. I
decided to retain my double-sided pedals and stick reflective tape on
the leading and trailing edges. Not strictly legal, but keeping to the
spirit of the law.

On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 23:40:39 +0100, Danny Colyer wrote:

> Don Whybrow wondered:
>> So... how do you fit reflectors to spuds without cages?

> I asked about this in LBS shortly after buying my first set of SPDs. They
> showed me a double-sided reflector with a plastic ring atop one end of one
> edge. The idea was that the ring looped over the pedal axle, with the
> reflector hanging beneath the pedal. It meant that the pedal effectively
> became one-sided.

Still illegal. The wording (from memory) is "attached to the leading
and trailing edges of the pedal, clearly visible to the front & rear".
None of "edge", "leading" or "trailing" are defined in any UK
legislation that Google can find, except that they are also mentioned in
reference to the location of aircraft lights.

On a recumbent there may be said to be leading and trailing "faces",
only one of which is clearly visible, but not edges. So I wear
reflecting ankle bands and the helicopter dibbles will see /something/
like a pedal reflector, even if the jam-sandwich dibbles won't. As I
also carry two lights at each end (of the bike, of the bike), and two
reflectors also, I don't think thre's much chance I won't be seen due to
lack of lighting.

Non of the lights are strictly legal, being either too bright, or LEDs
in non-flashng mode, but WTH. The reflectors, well they're illegal too,
being mounted on plastic brackets instead of the metal ones that
BS6102/2 requires. They do at least point exactly level fore & aft.
And those reflective strips on the cranks? Illegal too. Sigh.

As far as I can tell it is currently impossible to equip a bicycle with
lighting and reflectors that are completely legal, adequate for the
cyclist to see with, and for other road users to see. So I opt for the
second two of of the three....

And instead of fixing this aspect of the law TPTB urge the use of
reflective clothing and styrofoam tea-cosies.

Mike

Mike Causer wrote:
> Still illegal.

They are legal but are not sufficient to comply with the legislation
regarding pedal reflectors.
There is a subtle difference between illegal and legal but not
sufficient.

> Non of the lights are strictly legal, being either too bright, or LEDs
> in non-flashng mode, but WTH.

They are not legal as position lights (so you are illegal in not
showing front or rear position lights but are perfectly legal as
auxilliary lights (so you can use them) as long as they show the
correct colour in the correct direction.

> The reflectors, well they're illegal too,
> being mounted on plastic brackets instead of the metal ones that
> BS6102/2 requires. They do at least point exactly level fore & aft.
> And those reflective strips on the cranks? Illegal too. Sigh.

Not illegal, but not sufficient to comply with the legislation.

> As far as I can tell it is currently impossible to equip a bicycle with
> lighting and reflectors that are completely legal, adequate for the
> cyclist to see with, and for other road users to see. So I opt for the
> second two of of the three....

It is perfectly possible. The legal requirements are not sufficient to
see by but you may add auxilliary lights subject to RVLR1988 +
amendments as desired. There are no BS requirements for these.

The fact that the legally required lights are about as much use as a
chocolate teapot is neither here nor there.

> And instead of fixing this aspect of the law TPTB urge the use of
> reflective clothing and styrofoam tea-cosies.

Something must be done. This is something, hence ...

...d

in message <[email protected]>, Danny
Colyer ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Don Whybrow wondered:
>> So... how do you fit reflectors to spuds without cages?

> I asked about this in LBS shortly after buying my first set of SPDs.
> They showed me a double-sided reflector with a plastic ring atop one
> end
> of one edge. The idea was that the ring looped over the pedal axle,
> with the reflector hanging beneath the pedal. It meant that the pedal
> effectively became one-sided.
>
> I doubt that they ever sold any. I've never seen them in use. I
> decided to retain my double-sided pedals and stick reflective tape on
> the leading and trailing edges. Not strictly legal, but keeping to the
> spirit of the law.

Campagnolo's own brand road pedals have (optional) UK-legal reflectors,
but as far as I know they are the only clipless road pedals which do.
And I don't use them. And they don't seem to be in Campag's 2007 range,
which presumably means no-one bought them.

;; killing [afghan|iraqi] civilians is not 'justice'

Mike Causer wrote:

> The wording (from memory) is "attached to the leading
> and trailing edges of the pedal, clearly visible to the front & rear".

AFAIK it's not specified exactly what "clearly visible to the front &
rear" means. It's perfectly possible for the pedal reflectors on a
recumbent to be clearly visible to the front & rear when there is no
rider. With the rider installed it's not possible on most recumbents.
Similarly on an upwrong touring bike it's perfectly possible with the
front and rear panniers removed, but may not be when they are mounted.

Does "clearly visible to the front & rear" mean while being ridden, or
while clamped into the workstand?

--
Dave...

dkahn400 twisted the electrons to say:
> With the rider installed it's not possible on most recumbents.

With a suitably designed reflector/pedal interface it would be possible,
on all the recumbents I have experience of, to have reflectors that where
visible from the front.