Pedal Removal Question

jwroubaix

Jun 6, 2007
I have specialized roubaix that i'm trying to get the pedals off. I can't see what i'm supposed to be unscrewing. I thought it was on the other side of the crank, but I'll i see on that side is a R or L depending on what side i'm on. I don't see anything on the actual pedal to unscrew.

Please help

jwroubaix said:
I have specialized roubaix that i'm trying to get the pedals off. I can't see what i'm supposed to be unscrewing. I thought it was on the other side of the crank, but I'll i see on that side is a R or L depending on what side i'm on. I don't see anything on the actual pedal to unscrew.

Please help

The right side pedal has a regular, right hand thread, so remove it by turning the pedal wrench counterclockwise. The left side pedal has a left hand thread, so you remove it by turning by turning the pedal wrench clockwise.

jwroubaix said:

Please help
You need a pedal wrench (a similar non-specialized tool can work, but it's worth getting a proper pedal wrench, and it's not very expensive, will last for life).

Simple rule: it doesn't matter which side pedal it is, always remove by unscrewing towards the back of the bike, and always install by screwing towards the front. This assumes going over the top rather than the bottom).

Don't be surprised if the pedals are impossible to take off. Sometimes that happens if it was put in too tigh and without enough grease the first time (I've had this happen even with a professionally assembled bike).

jwroubaix said:

Please help
Your may need a allen wrench (6mm) if you have keo peddles and some other makes. Easy enough if you see a hole on the back of the crank arm. Otherwise a pedal wrench is required as you most likely will not be able to fit a open end between the pedal and crank. As mentioned, peddles tighten in the direction of rotation.

What size of pedal wrench do I need? 15mm? It's a 2007 Specialized Roubaix and i'll be putting on keo sprint pedals.

jwroubaix said:
What size of pedal wrench do I need? 15mm? It's a 2007 Specialized Roubaix and i'll be putting on keo sprint pedals.
I would not buy the peddle wrench, take your bike to the LBS and let them take the peddles off. Spend the money on new bar tape so that the bike is ready for next season. After putting my glasses on, the six became a 8 mm allen wrench. That you should buy.